State of the Union

Jenksismyhero

POTUS: I want to do things, and I can do them if the Repubs don't stop me!

GOP: We want to do things, and we can do them if the Dems don't stop us!

What a bunch of nonsense our government is becoming.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch every year, regardless of who is in the office. I feel like it is some sort of obligation, which is probably silly.

It's the same every year pretty much, though this year did have a little looser feel than others. A little more hooting and hollering, a little more humor. I liked that aspect. But damn, the game of sit/stand/applaud left/right/both is just plain irritating. Stop it, we don't need to do that with every point the President makes.

It's pomp and circumstance, and it's usually a series of goals most of which won't be met. But it does illustrate the priorities of the administration, which I think is worth watching.

Obama struck, I thought, the right tone... but he's also a guy who has consistently talked a big compromise game without ever working to do that. Not that the GOP Congress has been any better of course, they just blockade everything he does because he's the one doing it. But, hard as this is to admit, I kind of miss the days of Clinton and Gingrich actually working together to do a few things. We haven't seen much of that lately.

One other note - I hope the GOP is smart enough to see that they cannot continue to revolve their entire strategy around stopping Obama and the Dems when the economy has gotten so much stronger. It worked in November, but I'll be the farm it won't work in 2016 unless we dive into another recession by then. They need to have an affirmative theme at some point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
I watch every year, regardless of who is in the office. I feel like it is some sort of obligation, which is probably silly.

It's the same every year pretty much, though this year did have a little looser feel than others. A little more hooting and hollering, a little more humor. I liked that aspect. But damn, the game of sit/stand/applaud left/right/both is just plain irritating. Stop it, we don't need to do that with every point the President makes.

It's pomp and circumstance, and it's usually a series of goals most of which won't be met. But it does illustrate the priorities of the administration, which I think is worth watching.

Obama struck, I thought, the right tone... but he's also a guy who has consistently talked a big compromise game without ever working to do that. Not that the GOP Congress has been any better of course, they just blockade everything he does because he's the one doing it. But, hard as this is to admit, I kind of miss the days of Clinton and Gingrich actually working together to do a few things. We haven't seen much of that lately.

One other note - I hope the GOP is smart enough to see that they cannot continue to revolve their entire strategy around stopping Obama and the Dems when the economy has gotten so much stronger. It worked in November, but I'll be the farm it won't work in 2016 unless we dive into another recession by then. They need to have an affirmative theme at some point.

Tradition is nice and stuff, but clearly with communication advances this is not in fact for Congress, and instead for ...citizenry/democratic tradition, whatever.

If that's the case, I don't understand why they haven't tried to integrate some more media beside just a speech. I don't want a powerpoint with clipart, but why can't some context with infographics be added? Honestly a split screen with some quick facts while he/she's talking would be helpful.

But alas, I would settle for "no applause til the end please", with some weird 15-second NPR jazz samples to break up the sections.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)

I honestly watch the VP and Speaker reactions more than the President. "oh, oh! is he going to stand?! He is going to clap?!"

But I do think you're right. the Repubs have to do something not named Keystone or repealing Obamacare. That's why I think there's a legit chance some of this middle class stuff may happen. Child tax credits, help with child care, etc. are things that Republican voters also want. The question is how many corporate tax laws are the Repubs going to throw in the same legislation?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
I honestly watch the VP and Speaker reactions more than the President. "oh, oh! is he going to stand?! He is going to clap?!"

But I do think you're right. the Repubs have to do something not named Keystone or repealing Obamacare. That's why I think there's a legit chance some of this middle class stuff may happen. Child tax credits, help with child care, etc. are things that Republican voters also want. The question is how many corporate tax laws are the Repubs going to throw in the same legislation?

I’d have suggested he dispense with the cursory mention of a hundred topics and the anecdotes about people sitting in the balcony, and instead use the entire speech to tell a story — much as Bill Clinton did at the 2012 convention — about why the economy tanked in 2008 and why it’s rebounding now.

I’d have suggested he become the first president to use PowerPoint slides in a national address, so that Americans at home could see the graphs showing job growth (about 246,000 per month last year), falling unemployment (the largest annual drop in 30 years, even if some of that reflects a decline in workforce participation) and shrinking deficits. Also, it would have been a riot to see last month’s unemployment numbers projected onto John Boehner’s forehead.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-declares-victo...-043549344.html

Obama declares victory way too late, Matt Bai

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
POTUS: I want to do things, and I can do them if the Repubs don't stop me!

GOP: We want to do things, and we can do them if the Dems don't stop us!

What a bunch of nonsense our government is becoming.

Just so you're aware, 81% of voters approved of the speech, and 72% approved of his policy proposals for the next two years.

So it's... actually... the GOP... that's out of touch.

Wah wah.

Link

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
Just so you're aware, 81% of voters approved of the speech, and 72% approved of his policy proposals for the next two years.

So it's... actually... the GOP... that's out of touch.

Wah wah.

Link

And he promised 'free stuff' to 90% of the country, so the results are not surprising.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
Come on, there's an easy way to reply to that. Go find Bush having like 75% approval responses for one of his 2005-2007 vintage SOTU speeches. I'm sure those exist somewhere.

I'd be surprised, to be honest.

Now if you're talking 2002, that I could get behind.