DNAinfo.com and The Gothamist closed down effective immediately

Kyyle23

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
is a JR an open Trump supporter though?

I honestly have no idea who he follows politically. I cant recall him supporting anyone during election season

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
Ha, when I saw JR I immediately thought Reinsdorf.

Duh, yes Joe Ricketts is a Trump supporter. Started against him then flipped when it became apparent that Trump was getting the nomination

I was talking about Reinsdorf. It was super ambiguous, I should have clarified.

Edited by KagakuOtoko

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
I think we are lucky all that stadium stuff happened 30 years ago. I would be unbelievably bitter if we were swallowing that stuff today.

Why would you be bitter? He kept the team in town on a team friendly deal.

I would have been bitter if he moved the team. I remember listening to the sessions on the radio with many of the legislators singing Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye to the Sox.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 02:28 PM)
Why would you be bitter? He kept the team in town on a team friendly deal.

I would have been bitter if he moved the team. I remember listening to the sessions on the radio with many of the legislators singing Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye to the Sox.

Uh, yeah, holding the team hostage in order to get taxpayers to pay for his location and then give him a sweetheart lease isn't an altruistic move.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
Uh, yeah, holding the team hostage in order to get taxpayers to pay for his location and then give him a sweetheart lease isn't an altruistic move.

I guess I don't really consider altruism in any business deal. Baseball is a business. He really helped the team with that deal. They needed a new park and if the team was going to stay, this was a good deal. They deal in the long run allows the team to be more competitive.

I don't blame him in the least. If you want to blame somebody blame the legislators who gave in. He did his job.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
Do you think any modern sports owner says "May I really want to buy the Marlins, seems like a great return on investment!"

Have you see the valuations of franchises historically? Is is a 45 degree angle continually. I can't think of a better investment.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
Do you think any modern sports owner says "May I really want to buy the Marlins, seems like a great return on investment!"

Yes, yes they would. Sports franchises are a finite commodity. It doesn't matter that they won't make you a lot of money from operations, you get one and you're super rich and you want to impress your friends. And when it comes time to sell, some other rich asshole that wants to impress his friends will pay more than the financials say the team is worth.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/194615/...ins-since-2006/

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Yes, yes they would. Sports franchises are a finite commodity. It doesn't matter that they won't make you a lot of money from operations, you get one and you're super rich and you want to impress your friends. And when it comes time to sell, some other rich asshole that wants to impress his friends will pay more than the financials say the team is worth.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/194615/...ins-since-2006/

That it is an investment vehicle doesn't mean the motivation for purchase is an investment vehicle.

People buy sports teams because owning sports teams is awesome. That it is awesome is by and large why they can sell it for gobs more (since there are finite amounts of teams and competition is exempt).

edit: actually your whole point is my point. You don't buy a distribution company to impress your friends. You...do do that with baseball teams.

And if it was expected to be a profit making enterprise instead of operate largely where the profits get sunk back in the team then its favorable regulatory deals would evaporate. It's not a comparable business.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
Please, baseball is not any other business deal and owning sports franchises aren't an investment.

Never said it was any other business but it is a business. I don't think any sport franchise owner is in it for an altruistic reason. They want to make money and win. the better the business the better the competitiveness. Talk to the players of any given franchise. I doubt they would think the owners are altruistic in their dealings.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
That it is an investment vehicle doesn't mean the motivation for purchase is an investment vehicle.

People buy sports teams because owning sports teams is awesome. That it is awesome is by and large why they can sell it for gobs more (since there are finite amounts of teams and competition is exempt).

edit: actually your whole point is my point. You don't buy a distribution company to impress your friends. You...do do that with baseball teams.

And if it was expected to be a profit making enterprise instead of operate largely where the profits get sunk back in the team then its favorable regulatory deals would evaporate. It's not a comparable business.

Comparable to what? It's still a business. They are there to make a profit. Even if the profit gets sunk back into the team to win. Because as a long term investment sport franchises are like printing money. The owners will make money even it's a bad franchise.

Sports franchises operate differently than most other businesses. While they have historically made money for their investors, I agree that the front man in the deal buys them for ego more than the ROI. Which makes sense in light of needing to have amassed a small fortune to be in position to buy one.