Police Need to Start Chilling

greg775

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/us/ohio-sam-...sing/index.html

White cop shoots African American man as he tries to undo his seat belt. Appalling. Sadness for the man who was shot and killed and his family members who are devastated. Cops continuing to show no restraint, make fools of themselves and cause tense situations regarding race relations. Shooting to kill in these non dangerous situations is so unnecessary. This cop who probably has no record now goes to jail the rest of his life probably.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:57 PM)
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/us/ohio-sam-...sing/index.html

White cop shoots African American man as he tries to undo his seat belt. Appalling. Sadness for the man who was shot and killed and his family members who are devastated. Cops continuing to show no restraint, make fools of themselves and cause tense situations regarding race relations. Shooting to kill in these non dangerous situations is so unnecessary. This cop who probably has no record now goes to jail the rest of his life probably.

Agreed with about 50% of it, except for the last sentence.

I'm can't remember the last time there was a similar "questionable shooting" where a police officer served 10-15 years, let alone a life sentence.

He won't keep his job, but 90% chance he's exonerated by a grand jury.

After watching the video, it's clear the fact that DuBose was trying to start the car and flee will have to be taken into account, but it's almost impossible to make the argument that starting a car would constitute an action requiring deadly force in return. Worst case scenario for the officer, you've already taken down the license plate (and he was driving on a suspended license, so there were logical reasons why he would feel he should try to make a run for it, at least in his own mind) and you call for assistance/back-up.

It would be one thing if the officer was in front of the vehicle and he was trying to run him down...or if he was reaching anywhere near his belt/pants/under the seat or glovebox for any type of concealed weapon.

Edited by caulfield12

Cop is done for. Even if the guy speeds off that absolutely doesn't warrant deadly force. Call in a bolo and the clown would have been caught eventually.

Milkman can come and destroy this post if he dares... :P

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 12:47 AM)
Cop is done for. Even if the guy speeds off that absolutely doesn't warrant deadly force. Call in a bolo and the clown would have been caught eventually.

Milkman can come and destroy this post if he dares... :P

LOL.

Well, obviously the defense attorney's acting like he was already speeding off at breakneck speed and that he was in danger of being dragged under the car or even killed by the driver (DuBose) beginning the process to put his key in the ignition or reaching to turn the engine over and start it (assuming he'd turned it off in the beginning), but there's almost no way to continue spinning the incident that way with the pretty compelling video evidence.

I'm sure he will start warning all motorists stopped by the police will be emboldened by this video to flee the stop as soon as the officer gets out of the car and starts approaching the side door.

Guess the police will have to start using more of those devices like in Fast and Furious that latch onto the metal and knock out the car's electrical system and stall the engine.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
I'd love to see ONE example where a white kid in a typical suburban area or even near a university campus was shot to death in similar circumstances...

To be fair UC isnt located in a suburb or typical university campus setting. Its an absolute s*** hole surrounded by the most dangerous area in the state.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
What was that cop thinking? I'll just totally lie about everything cuz nobody will look at my body cam?

To be fair, it wasn't just him. One of the most disturbing parts of this case is that 2 officers corroborated his statements that he was being dragged by the car before shooting. 3 different officers conspired to attempt to cover up something that would be recorded on a body camera.

So far we don't know that any discipline has happened to the other officers who lied to cover for the first.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
I knew who started this thread before even seeing who it was.

Is that a compliment? Yes, I'm horrified by what has happened to our country with all these incidents/murders. People are getting killed by cops for no reason. Train these cops to diffuse situations w/out ending lives, please. Everybody else has to use proper decorum in their careers; why not cops?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:05 AM)
What was that cop thinking? I'll just totally lie about everything cuz nobody will look at my body cam?

A couple things in his defense, before I mention I hope he is in prison for a long time.

There have been many studies how wrong people get chains of events in their mind. It seemed this all happened in less than a second. He truly may have felt threatened for that second.

He could not identify the person. The guy could have been a criminal with warrants. But again, I'm guessing a middle aged white guy who forgot his license would be alive today.

On the b.s. side, the cop was fishing for something bigger than no front license plate.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:48 AM)
A couple things in his defense, before I mention I hope he is in prison for a long time.

There have been many studies how wrong people get chains of events in their mind. It seemed this all happened in less than a second. He truly may have felt threatened for that second.

He could not identify the person. The guy could have been a criminal with warrants. But again, I'm guessing a middle aged white guy who forgot his license would be alive today.

On the b.s. side, the cop was fishing for something bigger than no front license plate.

Good post again IMO by Tex. I was appalled when he shot the driver. I mean shoot the f***ing tires of the car! The police officer had time to disable the car or do something besides kill the guy. I mean seriously. The officer could have run to the front and back tires and blown the s*** out of them with his gun in a matter of seconds, then begin a pursuit.

But noooo ... he has to kill the guy. There are alternatives to blowing away people for SMALL crimes, especially when unarmed.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)

Even if he did know (as he was approaching the vehicle) that DuBuse was driving with a suspended license, where's the probable cause or reasonable suspicion to assume he's a criminal with warrants other than the location and skin color of the victim?

That lazy type of racial profiling isn't going to turn up as justifiable excuse for him to use deadly force in that situation.

How about if cops stop trying to milk the citizenry with minor traffic infractions and just concentrate on legit bad people? A lot of police departments have quotas for cops to reach, a certain number of traffic tickets have to be handed out to get that cash flow. Cops are out there looking FOR ANY REASON to stop people and look for any reason to give you a ticket instead of a actually doing what they're supossed to do, serve and protect, they're more into shaking you down than anything else.

Source; A former CA police officer who was married to a cousin of mine.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

How about if cops stop trying to milk the citizenry with minor traffic infractions and just concentrate on legit bad people? A lot of police departments have quotas for cops to reach, a certain number of traffic tickets have to be handed out to get that cash flow. Cops are out there looking FOR ANY REASON to stop people and look for any reason to give you a ticket instead of a actually doing what they're supossed to do, serve and protect, they're more into shaking you down than anything else.

My cousin is an Indiana state cop. They don't have any quotas, but any time they are on duty and not specifically assigned to a case, their job is to make as many stops as possible. An awful lot of serious crimes are discovered via stops for minor traffic infractions. Some of the biggest busts he's had have started with broken taillights.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 06:44 AM)

Seizure/Forfeiture laws are absolutely appalling.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/21/us/asset-seizures/

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/new...every/70600856/

Exactly why I never carry more than $500 cash anywhere I go.

The law is horrible but as a poker player I can tell you those poker players are just sloppy. There are plenty of means of getting your bankroll from home to an event site without hauling it all in your car in cash, unless the cash was winnings they weren't planning on claiming as income, in which case they kinda got what they deserved.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)

I agree. I've been stopped several times late at night after working for basically no reason. "Rolling" a stop sign when there's basically no traffic. They are looking for drunk drivers. Somehow they believe me and have never tested me even though I sometimes get nervous talking to cops. But the stops are unnecessary.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
I agree. I've been stopped several times late at night after working for basically no reason. "Rolling" a stop sign when there's basically no traffic. They are looking for drunk drivers. Somehow they believe me and have never tested me even though I sometimes get nervous talking to cops. But the stops are unnecessary.

They have absolutely tested you whether you realize it or not. First thing they do on a DUI stop is usually shine a light in your eyes, that causes your pupils to contract. If you're moderately intoxicated there's a noticeable slowdown in the eye response. If they don't see that, they listen to your voice for a few seconds and those 2 combined are a pretty solid giveaway.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy watching those videos on youtube where people make cops mad at DUI stops and border stops. They won't answer any of the cops questions and sometimes the cops get pretty mad.

My question to attorneys ... At a DUI stop, some of these youtubers act like they don't have to show their drivers license or registration. Isn't it a LAW that when stopped at a checkpoint we HAVE to cooperate with the law or we automatically lose driving "privileges?" Can we do what these people are doing when stopped? Basically say "I don't answer questions" and "what cause do you have to stop me?" One guy got arrested and there was no youtube followup. Normally on these videos the cops tire of the person reciting "I don't answer questions" and the cops finally wave them through and say, "OK have a nice day."

Edited by greg775