Bill Maher: God/Organized Religion, yes or no

greg775

Bill Maher:God/ yes or no  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No

I was watching some Bill Maher shows on youtube and enjoyed his debates with Bill O'Reilly and various other people about God and religion. Maher believes there is no God, thinks the Bible is a fairy tale, and says once we die we're kaput forever. We will have no knowledge of anything; we'll be gone.

Religious people believe there is a God and our spirits will live forever. Some people elect to practice on Sundays; others do not.

I was hoping to get a thorough count on Soxtalk of believers vs. nonbelievers and how many of you practice your religion by going to church services or Mass if you are Catholic on Sundays.

Feel free to put any comment no matter how brutal about whether u believe or not.

My guess is Soxtalk is vastly full of nonbelievers. I do not say that because I don't like Soxtalkers. I think Soxtalkers are very brash and skeptical if that is the right word and I sense an 85 nonbeliever; 15 percent believer count.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 12:39 AM)
I was watching some Bill Maher shows on youtube and enjoyed his debates with Bill O'Reilly and various other people about God and religion. Maher believes there is no God, thinks the Bible is a fairy tale, and says once we die we're kaput forever. We will have no knowledge of anything; we'll be gone.

Religious people believe there is a God and our spirits will live forever. Some people elect to practice on Sundays; others do not.

I was hoping to get a thorough count on Soxtalk of believers vs. nonbelievers and how many of you practice your religion by going to church services or Mass if you are Catholic on Sundays.

Feel free to put any comment no matter how brutal about whether u believe or not.

My guess is Soxtalk is vastly full of nonbelievers. I do not say that because I don't like Soxtalkers. I think Soxtalkers are very brash and skeptical if that is the right word and I sense an 85 nonbeliever; 15 percent believer count.

You can consider me one of the sheep that got lost. I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school for quite a few years yet arrived -- at least at this point in my life -- where I am today. Do I believe in religion? No. I believe "religion" is short for "man made rules meant to control the masses". That said, do I believe in spirituality in that I believe there is "something greater" out there? Yes.

I believe the creator of the universe, whatever that creator might be -- be it an alien, a man, a random phenomena, or an explosion -- is "God", and "God" does not necessarily have to be a being. I believe in the prime mover...and I believe -- without man made religion -- that we should all strive to better ourselves because it's the right thing to do, not because we are told to do it.

I dislike the religious that lean on praising God for good things, yet not blaming him for bad things -- and of course, this is because he works in mysterious ways -- which is the weakest cop out argument ever invented. Yes, deciding to give a child brain cancer so they can live a miserably short existence is mysterious only in that he's an asshole if in fact he's making these sorts of decisions. And of course the canned response to that is they get to live a glorious afterlife -- WELL...not according to original sin they don't...because if they've not made their first confession they're headed to hell or purgatory...which is more hypocritical nonsense. And even if they did, if people truly believe the afterlife is greater than this one, why are they afraid to die? More nonsense.

What I consider man made religion is often a mixture of the following:

1) impossible set of rules to follow

2) rules that change depending on completely arbitrary decisions (A few examples: there was a time that accepting communion before confession was a sin -- that's no longer the case, there was a time that eating meat on Sunday was forbidden all year, now it's just during lent.

3) hypocritical in that religious people will often poke fun at other religions and call them cults or talk about how absurd they are (look at Scientology), another made up religion that follows alien crab people (apparently), but let's be honest...what's more absurd, powerful alien life or an invisible man floating in the sky?

I can go on and on with this list, but I'm growing bored of it already. ;)

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
You can consider me one of the sheep that got lost. I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school for quite a few years yet arrived -- at least at this point in my life -- where I am today. Do I believe in religion? No. I believe "religion" is short for "man made rules meant to control the masses". That said, do I believe in spirituality in that I believe there is "something greater" out there? Yes.

I believe the creator of the universe, whatever that creator might be -- be it an alien, a man, a random phenomena, or an explosion -- is "God", and "God" does not necessarily have to be a being. I believe in the prime mover...and I believe -- without man made religion -- that we should all strive to better ourselves because it's the right thing to do, not because we are told to do it.

I dislike the religious that lean on praising God for good things, yet not blaming him for bad things -- and of course, this is because he works in mysterious ways -- which is the weakest cop out argument ever invented. Yes, deciding to give a child brain cancer so they can live a miserably short existence is mysterious only in that he's an asshole if in fact he's making these sorts of decisions. And of course the canned response to that is they get to live a glorious afterlife -- WELL...not according to original sin they don't...because if they've not made their first confession they're headed to hell or purgatory...which is more hypocritical nonsense. And even if they did, if people truly believe the afterlife is greater than this one, why are they afraid to die? More nonsense.

What I consider man made religion is often a mixture of the following:

1) impossible set of rules to follow

2) rules that change depending on completely arbitrary decisions (A few examples: there was a time that accepting communion before confession was a sin -- that's no longer the case, there was a time that eating meat on Sunday was forbidden all year, now it's just during lent.

3) hypocritical in that religious people will often poke fun at other religions and call them cults or talk about how absurd they are (look at Scientology), another made up religion that follows alien crab people (apparently), but let's be honest...what's more absurd, powerful alien life or an invisible man floating in the sky?

I can go on and on with this list, but I'm growing bored of it already. ;)

Similar viewpoint.

I attended catholic schools for most of my life, which culminated in an all boys high school with a curriculum taught by a group of fairly old school religious types. In my senior year religion course, I questioned the "fire and brimstone" attitude of my instructor and he responded by holding my impending graduation in the balance and then giving me a "d" for the course. I literally didn't know if I was actually graduating as I walked across the stage to receive my diploma.

I then attended a private university run by a religious order of brothers and one of them tried getting all touchy feely with me in a "counseling session" he arranged to discuss my academic and spiritual path at the university.

Those types of things, overlaid upon many other pretty ridiculous experiences really spoiled any possibility of me having a positive viewpoint of organized religion.

I don't really concern myself with what others choose to believe, as long as they don't push their views on me.

Two great posts. Amazing that in one case a private school teacher makes it hard for you to graduate for no reason and in another some pervert regligious tries to hit on you during an important counseling session.

Chalk up two very negative instances re. religion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 12:02 PM)
Two great posts. Amazing that in one case a private school teacher makes it hard for you to graduate for no reason and in another some pervert regligious tries to hit on you during an important counseling session.

Chalk up two very negative instances re. religion.

Yeah, and for whatever reason, organized religion sometimes seems to serve as a landing spot for these types of individuals, which could not be a worse place for them to land. They're put in a position of authority and power and they seem to either abuse it or enjoy it just a bit too much.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
Yeah, and for whatever reason, organized religion sometimes seems to serve as a landing spot for these types of individuals, which could not be a worse place for them to land. They're put in a position of authority and power and they seem to either abuse it or enjoy it just a bit too much.

Yeah, I totally despise the abuses of power you mentioned. I remember when I was an altar boy and through two years at Brother Rice no priest or lay ever made any advances toward me. Though some of my peers weren't as lucky. The worst I remember was one priest being a chain smoker and he smelled bad of smoke as we did Mass. Of course both my parents smoked on the south side so I should have been used to it. As far as the pedophiles, It would be nice if all were caught and imprisoned forever.

It is interesting in a growing liberal culture we've never had a President who was an atheist or non believer. That's pretty wild. You'd think in this growing non-God culture there would be some political candidates who do not believe. Yet to date all have mentioned God. I know Bill Clinton did. I would assume Hillary is not an atheist as well. Oh well not a lot of responses. I'd love to hear if Soxtalk has way more nonbelievers than believers which is my suspicion but so far it's only 4-2 voting.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 11:10 PM)
Yeah, I totally despise the abuses of power you mentioned. I remember when I was an altar boy and through two years at Brother Rice no priest or lay ever made any advances toward me. Though some of my peers weren't as lucky. The worst I remember was one priest being a chain smoker and he smelled bad of smoke as we did Mass. Of course both my parents smoked on the south side so I should have been used to it. As far as the pedophiles, It would be nice if all were caught and imprisoned forever.

It is interesting in a growing liberal culture we've never had a President who was an atheist or non believer. That's pretty wild. You'd think in this growing non-God culture there would be some political candidates who do not believe. Yet to date all have mentioned God. I know Bill Clinton did. I would assume Hillary is not an atheist as well. Oh well not a lot of responses. I'd love to hear if Soxtalk has way more nonbelievers than believers which is my suspicion but so far it's only 4-2 voting.

I suspect we've already had a non-religious president or three. Even today, it's political suicide as a national politician to admit you don't believe in God. Those days are rapidly closing, though.

As to the original question, I consider myself agnostic. No one know what happens when you die, but if I had to guess it's like going to sleep indefinitely.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
I suspect we've already had a non-religious president or three. Even today, it's political suicide as a national politician to admit you don't believe in God. Those days are rapidly closing, though.

As to the original question, I consider myself agnostic. No one know what happens when you die, but if I had to guess it's like going to sleep indefinitely.

Why are those days rapidly closing? Trump has mentioned God and I'd have to check on Hillary's stance. So why is it changing?

The world is so politically correct and we don't want to offend anybody so the atheists are winning regarding holidays like Christmas. I'd say in 100 or so years it'll be a country that never mentions God because of PC times 100 and Christmas will not be recognized by workplaces as a day to give employees off.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
Why are those days rapidly closing? Trump has mentioned God and I'd have to check on Hillary's stance. So why is it changing?

The world is so politically correct and we don't want to offend anybody so the atheists are winning regarding holidays like Christmas. I'd say in 100 or so years it'll be a country that never mentions God because of PC times 100 and Christmas will not be recognized by workplaces as a day to give employees off.

The world is PC so the atheists are winning? What?

I was raised Catholic but by junior high I started hating going to church. I was going every Sunday to make my mom happy. As I got older I had some personal and health problems and was like WTF? Why is all this happening to me? I go to church every week. For the past 10'years, I've only gone on Xmas with my family. I just sit there and wait for the hour to be up.

I want to believe there is something but I just doubt it. I'd love to go to heaven where the lesbian cloud is when I die but who knows.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 11:27 PM)
Non-religious. I wouldn't consider Bill Maher a particularly good advocate for nonbelief though.

Bill Maher is an awful athiest. As an athiest, I hate people who go out there and make fun of other people's religions and make it seem like they're all inferior people. Maher's one of those guys.

You're not going to get religious people to change their minds. If they do, it's not because you yelled at them and told them they're stupid.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)

I'm pretty sure Obama is not actually religious.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but like you said, in the political world, if you're anything that's not a Christian denomination or Jewish, you're screwed.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 05:58 AM)
I'm pretty sure Obama is not actually religious.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but like you said, in the political world, if you're anything that's not a Christian denomination or Jewish, you're screwed.

I've heard Obama talk about God. So far seven of nine do not believe in God. That's pretty crazy. What if we get 17 people to vote and 15 don't believe?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:09 AM)
I've heard Obama talk about God. So far seven of nine do not believe in God. That's pretty crazy. What if we get 17 people to vote and 15 don't believe?

Obviously Judgement Day will take place.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:09 AM)

I can't help myself here...

1. Asking "do you believe in God/creation" as a yes/no is like asking "do you believe Tyler Saladino is an OK/MVP player?". You're getting a lot of "no" votes from people who do believe in God in some form because you've asked what might be the worst poll question I have ever seen.

2. No poll on this site, even if every reasonably active member voted, is going to have enough veracity to tell you anything about the mainstream population. For multiple reasons.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
I can't help myself here...

1. Asking "do you believe in God/creation" as a yes/no is like asking "do you believe Tyler Saladino is an OK/MVP player?". You're getting a lot of "no" votes from people who do believe in God in some form because you've asked what might be the worst poll question I have ever seen.

Huh? Do you believe in God is a pretty simple question.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
Huh? Do you believe in God is a pretty simple question.

It is anything but simple, Greg. The definition of God is not the same for every religion, and that is what NSS is trying to get across to you. You are asking for a simplified answer to a complicated question

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)
It is anything but simple, Greg. The definition of God is not the same for every religion, and that is what NSS is trying to get across to you. You are asking for a simplified answer to a complicated question

10-4, Yikes!

I am asking if u believe in God; the guy who is sitting up on the throne in heaven. The religious version of God who is up there looking down on everybody and created everything. Not just a spirit but God, the big guy in charge of us all.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)

While the poll could certainly be worded better or have more options, I highly doubt "a lot" of the No votes are from people who do believe in God. I doubt even one is.