2014 Draft class

caulfield12

1. Carlos Rodon, LHP, North Carolina State: The Wolfpack are headed to the College World Series, and Rodon is a big reason why. Even after starting slowly, the big lefty has gone 9-2 with a 3.19 ERA and 170 strikeouts in 118 1/3 innings. There is almost universal consensus that Rodon is the early choice to be No. 1 in 2014.

2. Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt: Beede, who didn't sign as a first-rounder in 2011, is a Golden Spikes Award finalist thanks to a 14-1 record, a 2.32 ERA and a .187 batting average against.

3. Alex Jackson, C, Rancho Bernardo HS, Calif.: A two-time participant in the Under Armour game, Jackson has some serious raw power from the right side and is a good leader with an accurate arm.

4. Touki Toussaint, RHP, Coral Springs Christian HS, Fla.: This Florida prepster is very athletic with a ton of arm strength, using a clean delivery to fire fastballs that can touch the mid-90s to go along with a hard downer curve. (cool name!)

5. Aaron Nola, RHP, Louisiana State: What's a Draft class without a top LSU arm? Nola was LSU's Friday starter this year, going 12-0 with a 1.68 ERA, striking out nearly a batter per inning while holding hitters to a .187 BAA.

6. Trea Turner, SS, N.C. State: He's a shortstop who can stay there, a leadoff hitter extraordinaire with plus-plus speed that allowed him to steal 84 bases in his first two seasons of college ball.

7. Nick Gordon, RHP/SS, Olympia HS, Fla.: The son of Tom and brother of Dee, Gordon is a legitimate two-way guy who can play shortstop and hit from the left side. He's athletic on the mound, too, with a low-90s fastball and a big curve.

8. Michael Cederoth, RHP, San Diego State: The 6-foot-6 right-hander's numbers this year weren't outstanding, thanks largely to some command issues, but he did strike out 109 in 95 1/3 innings and sported an upper-90s fastball at times.

9. Nick Burdi, RHP, Louisville: It's not often a college closer gets ranked this highly, but Burdi reportedly hit triple digits during the 2013 season, striking out 61 in 34 2/3 innings.

10. Dylan Cease, RHP, Milton HS, Ga.: This year's Draft was partly about the outfielders in Georgia. Cease will make 2014 about pitching, as the right-hander has a loose, electric arm that touched 97 mph this past spring to go along with a good breaking ball and a feel for a changeup.

The rest of the top 20:

11. Jacob Gatewood, SS, Clovis HS, Calif.

12. Brady Aiken, LHP, Cathedral Catholic HS, Calif.

13. Michael Gettys, OF/RHP, Gainesville HS, Ga.

14. Derek Fisher, OF, Virginia

15. Kel Johnson, OF, Home schooled, Ga.

16. Michael Kopech, RHP, Mt. Pleasant HS, Texas

17. Justus Sheffield, LHP, Tullahoma HS, Tenn.

18. Jack Flaherty, RHP/3B, Harvard Westlake HS, Calif.

19. Mike Conforto, OF, Oregon St.

20. Luke Weaver, RHP, Florida State

from mlb.com

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1665039...years-1st-round

Here's another one, that had us taking Kel Johnson...at the time of the article, we were drafting 8th based on the standings at the time it was written. (with accompany video footage)

1. Rodon

2. Jackson

3. Beede

4. Cederoth

5. Toussaint

6. Sheffield

7. Gatewood

8. Kel Johnson

9. Mark Zagunis © Virginia Tech

10. Brett Austin © NC State

11. Trea Turner, SS, NC State

12. KJ Hockaday, Maryland

13. Drew Ward, OK (high school)

14. Kevin Cron, TCU

15. Cameron Varga

16. Gregory Deichmann, SS

17. Nick Gordon, SS

18. Daniel Gossett, RHP Clemson

19. Brady Aiken, LHP

20. Hawtin Buchanan, RHP Mississippi (6'9", 250, Coop will fix him)

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great, just what we need, some home-schooled weirdo.

Seriously though, is power really what we need in our system? I know its bleacherreport and all but they could have just said "The White Sox need everything and lots of it" and picked anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the USA Collegiate National team take on the Cuban National team last night in Des Moines (America won in extras). Carlos Rodon was on the mound and was as good as advertised. 3.1 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 4 K. Another top prospect, SS Trea Turner, was really underwhelming. 0-4, 2 K, 1 BB, and a RBI. He couldn't catch up with the fastball, struck out on a pitch in the dirt, and popped out with a bunt in extras.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 03:18 AM)
I think Jacob Gatewood has the highest ceiling and potential in the draft class. He won the Jr. Home Run Derby at Citi Field against Kel Johnson, where he it 13 HR (Johnson hit 9).

As of now I think Gatewood is a top 3 pick. However, they have an entire season to play.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
SI has the Sox finishing 65-97 with the 3rd pick in the draft.

Baseball Prospectus has the Sox finishing 69-93, which would be the 3rd worst record in baseball. Jeff Hoffman is another name to keep an eye on. Kiley McDaniel of scoutingbaseball says he's the new "favorite" (FWIW 11 months before the draft) to be taken #1 overall.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
I think once we sell off we wrap of that #1 pick, the season will no longer be about winning games but player development at the major league level.

(I think the White Sox make themselves better if they sell off some of these guys and get them out of the way).

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
I think once we sell off we wrap of that #1 pick, the season will no longer be about winning games but player development at the major league level.

I don't think the Sox can get worse than Houston is honestly. I actually think Miami will be better in 2nd half with all of their young guys playing. Sox could overtake Miami for #2 pick. FWIW, If the Sox did get the #1 pick, would they be willing to be a crazy bonus for the #1 guy?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
I don't think the Sox can get worse than Houston is honestly. I actually think Miami will be better in 2nd half with all of their young guys playing. Sox could overtake Miami for #2 pick. FWIW, If the Sox did get the #1 pick, would they be willing to be a crazy bonus for the #1 guy?

They've spent their entire draft bonus money two years in a row, so I don't see why not.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:31 AM)
Well, we'd now have the second pick behind Houston, I don't know if I should be happy or not

I think you should be happy. If they are going to be bad they may as well be colossally bad and get potential studs at the top of each round.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
I think you should be happy. If they are going to be bad they may as well be colossally bad and get potential studs at the top of each round.

Yep, as tough as it is as good fans to still "support" the Sox when they're so crappy and to actually prefer that they lose SUCKS. I hate it! No one wants it to be like this, but it is what is. What can you do? I'm not truly happy when they lose but on the other hand what would be worse is if they were floundering a little under .500. Best to be way under!! Soon this dreadful season will be just a bad memory and we can drool over all those nice high picks.