Delmonico

Not necessarily.

In order to be "good" players, both Delmonico (and Hayes) would have to play a position other than 1B at above-average MLB defense.

It doesn't seem that Delmonico has the ability to stick at 3rd, but he'll definitely be given time to continue his improvement because the White Sox have nothing but time and patience right now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 08:14 PM)
Not necessarily.

In order to be "good" players, both Delmonico (and Hayes) would have to play a position other than 1B at above-average MLB defense.

It doesn't seem that Delmonico has the ability to stick at 3rd, but he'll definitely be given time to continue his improvement because the White Sox have nothing but time and patience right now.

I think LF is his only real shot at being a regular and I'm hopeful that the Sox will give him an extended look there this year once Melky is eventually moved. Now is the perfect time to give a guy like Delmonico an opportunity.

QUOTE (ventura_abreu @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
Is Delmonico getting a bit overlooked as a potential good player for the White Sox?

By the fans he probably has been.

But the Sox haven't re-assigned him yet, so they're looking at him.

I wonder if he has options issues - Davidson too.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)
By the fans he probably has been.

But the Sox haven't re-assigned him yet, so they're looking at him.

I wonder if he has options issues - Davidson too.

Delmonico doesn't have any option issues, so I doubt that's the issue. Personally, I'd like to see Delmonico get some more work in at Charlotte. He didn't exactly light Charlotte up like he did in Birmingham. Plus there's no harm in keeping Davidson around for a month or two because of his option situation. It's nice to see some promise in his bat - too bad he doesn't have a position.

Small sample size today, but he passed the eye test in-person today. Good at bats and he had quick hands on that HR (crushed it). The AB where he raked that double was nice. If he could play defense, we'd be on to something. I don't know if he'll hit good enough to be a DH.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 10:44 PM)
Small sample size today, but he passed the eye test in-person today. Good at bats and he had quick hands on that HR (crushed it). The AB where he raked that double was nice. If he could play defense, we'd be on to something. I don't know if he'll hit good enough to be a DH.

First time I've seen him swing a bat but his actual swing is gorgeous. I'm not going to say he's going to be a major league regular but I'm intrigued.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 07:11 AM)
He absolute tore up AA last year; albeit as a 23 year old, but still. He's only 24 right now.

It'd be great if he turned into a 1-2 WAR regular in the lineup.

Mike, I'm not sure 23 would be considered old for AA. In fact, I'd guess it's right around league average or maybe even a little below. Regardless, Delmonico has real talent even if recent prospect rankings haven't recognized it. Part of that is due to the troubles he had in Milwaukee, where he quickly lost a lot of goodwill. Having said that, there's no denying how impressive his AA season was for us last year. Rarely do you see guys post numbers like that in Birmingham.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 07:23 AM)
Mike, I'm not sure 23 would be considered old for AA. In fact, I'd guess it's right around league average or maybe even a little below. Regardless, Delmonico has real talent even if recent prospect rankings haven't recognized it. Part of that is due to the troubles he had in Milwaukee, where he quickly lost a lot of goodwill. Having said that, there's no denying how impressive his AA season was for us last year. Rarely do you see guys post numbers like that in Birmingham.

Looking at Baseball Reference, he was a year younger than the average age.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 07:33 AM)
Nice swing but no position. Thats going to be his challenge.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 07:40 AM)
Give him reps in LF and see how he responds. No harm in trying.

I'm fine with him getting reps at third to begin the season personally. If he looks rough, try pulling the plug and play him in LF from then until there is room for him at the MLB level.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
I'm fine with him getting reps at third to begin the season personally. If he looks rough, try pulling the plug and play him in LF from then until there is room for him at the MLB level.

3B has been his primary postion for a while now and the scouting reports haven't been very positive. I believe they started exploring the OF idea with him last year but now it's time to commit to it. IMO, 3B is a lost cause at this point.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 07:23 AM)

23 isn't super old but it's not super young either. He might be one of those guys that develops at a later age. I hope he gets some time in Chicago this season. He's an interesting prospect for sure.

It's really all about the Options situation with Davidson not having any and Delmonico having them. It's that simple. But if Davidson flops, Delmonico probably comes up (outside chance it could be Hayes instead).

Here's a prospect profile on Delmonico by the way, for those who don't know some of the strange back story with him.

Delmonico's defense doesn't have to be above average, but he's got to be at least MLB-playable. And if he can do that at 1B, 3B and corner OF, he suddenly becomes appealing as a utility player (and DH) you can plug in 5 days a week with some offensive potential.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
It's really all about the Options situation with Davidson not having any and Delmonico having them. It's that simple. But if Davidson flops, Delmonico probably comes up (outside chance it could be Hayes instead).

Here's a prospect profile on Delmonico by the way, for those who don't know some of the strange back story with him.

Delmonico's defense doesn't have to be above average, but he's got to be at least MLB-playable. And if he can do that at 1B, 3B and corner OF, he suddenly becomes appealing as a utility player (and DH) you can plug in 5 days a week with some offensive potential.

He's a guy that makes sense to start in the minors anyways to at least try him at a corner of spot for a while. Like I said before, who knows with this guy but I'm definitely intrigued.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)
FWIW, the KATOH system on Fangraphs actually has him as the 93rd best prospect in baseball.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/katohs-2017...-100-prospects/

With all the talk about our prospects we really never hear about Charlie Tilson except that he has had bad luck with injuries . Yet surprisingly I see him 89th on the one list and 55th on the other.

Question: Why would he be on these KATOH lists and not others ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
With all the talk about our prospects we really never here about Charlie Tilson except that he has had bad luck with injuries . Yet surprisingly I see him 89th on the one list and 55th on the other.

Question: Why would he be on these KATOH lists and not others ?

KATOH is a statistical modeling system. Most scouting tends to avoid stats or only take them into account as a smallish part of the picture, so KATOH will often show very differently than scouting type views.

For a guy like this, I think you work him all over the corners. The value of position versatility is at an all time high right now, and for good reason. If he can play a passable 1B/3B/LF/RF, you can work his bat into the lineup in a number of different ways. And if he takes to a position and can play it well, and the bat sticks, then you have a regular.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 10:44 PM)

Everything is a small sample size until a players get 400 ABs in a season.