Not stopping at a stop sign? Really police?

greg775

So it's 12:45 a.m., Oct 1, and I'm driving home after leaving the office and getting some snacks. Yes, I roll a stop sign on a side street, not a major road. Cop pulls me over and I immediately signal and pull over.

He comes up, gets my license and insurance. He tells me he stopped me for rolling the stop sign. Obviously that time of night they are looking for drunks. I haven't had a drink even in a couple years believe it or not. He comes back and says, 'i am going to ticket you for the stop sign violation.' I told him it was late and I guess I wasn't concentrating and said sorry twice that I wasn't paying attention.

I still get the ticket despite the fact nobody's on the road at that time on this side street.

My question to you is ... was this a monetary decision by the cop? End of the month, beginning of new month? Pressure to make some $$$ for the city? Or b.) did I get the ticket for being too chatty. I mean I was very nice, but I offered up to him what I was doing. I said I had left work and went and got a snack on the way home and wasn't paying attention. I didn't give him the opportunity if he wanted to ask me a question and have me answer apologetically. I merely was apologetic to begin with so I may have blown it by not letting him take control and try to get me to beg.

Is it the old, "f*** you nice guy. I'm a f***ing cop and I'm ringing you up." Or was it b.) listen bub, we need money in this city and by rolling that stop sign you just gave us a cool hundred bucks, chump!" Which is it.

I mean, cmon. that time of night. Side street? No cars in the area? Yes I f***ed up big time in not coming to a complete stop. But geez. ... Tough to stomach.

If I am a law breaking person, and deserve to get slapped by that cop, tell me. I can take it. I had no previous tickets this past year; I don't know if that shows up or not when he calls in my information.

p.s. the cop did seem like potentially a dick. He told me they were having problems at that intersection. I really truly felt like saying but obviously didn't: "At 1 a.m.? With no traffic at all around? COngratulations on raising 140 bucks for your department, officer. You got me. I rolled the sign; no doubt I did but nooo you couldn't let me off." I'm telling you I was 100 percent nice not even a hint of my being a dick. Like I said I was a bit overly friendly however. I was hoping he'd ask me if I had a drink but he didn't even go there.

--humor me and tell me when u got your last ticket for a driving violation or parking.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing happened years ago to me. Mine was at an intersection around noon and there was nobody else in sight, besides the cop who I didn't see anywhere.

I haven't rolled through a stop sign since. It's picky but the law, I guess.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 03:00 AM)
So it's 12:45 a.m., Oct 1, and I'm driving home after leaving the office and getting some snacks. Yes, I roll a stop sign on a side street, not a major road. Cop pulls me over and I immediately signal and pull over.

He comes up, gets my license and insurance. He tells me he stopped me for rolling the stop sign. Obviously that time of night they are looking for drunks. I haven't had a drink even in a couple years believe it or not. He comes back and says, 'i am going to ticket you for the stop sign violation.' I told him it was late and I guess I wasn't concentrating and said sorry twice that I wasn't paying attention.

I still get the ticket despite the fact nobody's on the road at that time on this side street.

My question to you is ... was this a monetary decision by the cop? End of the month, beginning of new month? Pressure to make some $$$ for the city? Or b.) did I get the ticket for being too chatty. I mean I was very nice, but I offered up to him what I was doing. I said I had left work and went and got a snack on the way home and wasn't paying attention. I didn't give him the opportunity if he wanted to ask me a question and have me answer apologetically. I merely was apologetic to begin with so I may have blown it by not letting him take control and try to get me to beg.

Is it the old, "f*** you nice guy. I'm a f***ing cop and I'm ringing you up." Or was it b.) listen bub, we need money in this city and by rolling that stop sign you just gave us a cool hundred bucks, chump!" Which is it.

I mean, cmon. that time of night. Side street? No cars in the area? Yes I f***ed up big time in not coming to a complete stop. But geez. ... Tough to stomach.

If I am a law breaking person, and deserve to get slapped by that cop, tell me. I can take it. I had no previous tickets this past year; I don't know if that shows up or not when he calls in my information.

p.s. the cop did seem like potentially a dick. He told me they were having problems at that intersection. I really truly felt like saying but obviously didn't: "At 1 a.m.? With no traffic at all around? COngratulations on raising 140 bucks for your department, officer. You got me. I rolled the sign; no doubt I did but nooo you couldn't let me off." I'm telling you I was 100 percent nice not even a hint of my being a dick. Like I said I was a bit overly friendly however. I was hoping he'd ask me if I had a drink but he didn't even go there.

--humor me and tell me when u got your last ticket for a driving violation or parking.

Depends on where it happened...Chicago Police have no such quotas to "raise money for the city", though this sort of thing does occur in some counties/areas.

And not for nothing, but while you're busy trying to lay blame on the officer for being a dick...you're the one that broke the law knowing the possible consequences. Is he a dick for not letting you off, or are you the dick for breaking the law and then blaming him for being a dick? :P

I went a little late through a yellow in the city during morning rush hour. There was a high school a block away. I totally deserved it in that circumstance.

The police officer was super nice to me, pretty much said we've all done it just be more careful on where you are doing it and not near a school.

I think the quote of not concentrating got you the ticket. They could have and probably should have given you a warning especially if you didn't totally blow of the sign. Rolling stop at least is better than flying through.

The last ticket I received was about 20 years ago for going 64 in a 55. The next week the limit was raised to 65. I think it is now 70. Just west of the Mississippi on I 80.

I almost got one about a year after that for an illegal U turn in Uptown. I was going to a concert at the Riviera with a buddy, and did make an illegal U turn. Go pulled over by a Paddy wagon, but was offered the "alternative" of contributing to their chief's retirement party instead of getting ticketed. That is what I chose.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't mind this. I'd be mad if it happened to me, but people roll through neighborhood stop signs often, and get used to not having to stop. When there actually are people coming up to the stop they just roll through trying to beat them (and saving an extra 4 seconds on their life) rather than stopping and letting people go through.

I also think about these threads when I hear about how considerate and amazing at following the law cars are and how terrible bicyclists are for the world.

I think the quote of not concentrating got you the ticket. They could have and probably should have given you a warning especially if you didn't totally blow of the sign. Rolling stop at least is better than flying through.

The last ticket I received was about 20 years ago for going 64 in a 55. The next week the limit was raised to 65. I think it is now 70. Just west of the Mississippi on I 80.

I almost got one about a year after that for an illegal U turn in Uptown. I was going to a concert at the Riviera with a buddy, and did make an illegal U turn. Go pulled over by a Paddy wagon, but was offered the "alternative" of contributing to their chief's retirement party instead of getting ticketed. That is what I chose.

Geez, my cousin is a state cop in Indiana and he's never written a ticket to anybody going less than 10 over the speed limit (except for semi trucks).

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
I don't mind this. I'd be mad if it happened to me, but people roll through neighborhood stop signs often, and get used to not having to stop. When there actually are people coming up to the stop they just roll through trying to beat them (and saving an extra 4 seconds on their life) rather than stopping and letting people go through.

I also think about these threads when I hear about how considerate and amazing at following the law cars are and how terrible bicyclists are for the world.

I totally agree. There are some idiots on bikes, but not as many as are driving cars. Pedestrians as well. I usually Divvy it home from work, and I can't tell you how many times people are walking right down the bike lane instead of the sidewalk and get all pissed off when you wiz past them.

Got a few tickets in my lifetime, hatred each one, but deserved them. But hated the few where the cops were dicks. Got a speeding ticket once and after he hands it to me he starts yelling at me about drinking and driving. And I'm like 'what? I just left work, haven't had anything to drink, and haven't for weeks'. He then YELLS at me to not talk back(I was very calm when I had told him, he just exploded back) and he should haul my ass to the station right now. So I just shut up, then he got all ''that's right, shut up and consider yourself lucky. Get out of here and slow down'. Only thing I can figure is I had a red solo cup holding peanuts in the cup holder, and he either saw that or smelled peanuts and just assumed booze.

Got a few tickets in my lifetime, hatred each one, but deserved them. But hated the few where the cops were dicks. Got a speeding ticket once and after he hands it to me he starts yelling at me about drinking and driving. And I'm like 'what? I just left work, haven't had anything to drink, and haven't for weeks'. He then YELLS at me to not talk back(I was very calm when I had told him, he just exploded back) and he should haul my ass to the station right now. So I just shut up, then he got all ''that's right, shut up and consider yourself lucky. Get out of here and slow down'. Only thing I can figure is I had a red solo cup holding peanuts in the cup holder, and he either saw that or smelled peanuts and just assumed booze.

My response would be: "My attorney and I dare you to try that."

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
And not for nothing, but while you're busy trying to lay blame on the officer for being a dick...you're the one that broke the law knowing the possible consequences. Is he a dick for not letting you off, or are you the dick for breaking the law and then blaming him for being a dick? :P

I said I was guilty. Your line is uncalled for. I said I broke the law. The reason I said he "seemed" like a dick is uh, because he did seem like a dick. He mentioned twice my court date like I was going to go to court over this. He said I could mail it in or pay online. I said surprisedly, "I can pay online?" He got prickish and said, "what's that?" while an amazingly bright light was still lighting up my car and my face. I got the sense he was hoping he had a shot at me slurring my words being drunk even tho I don't drink. I just sensed he might be a prick.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)

I tend to agree. The more I think about it, me being chatty instead of letting him be a powerful big shot and control the conversation nailed me. I did think of something later I wish I'd done. After I signed the ticket, I wish I'd said very politely. "Hey I always have had this question. Can I ask you a question?" He'd think I was going to be a prick then. I'd say, "I've always wanted to go along with an officer during his night shift. Do you know if our police department would allow me to go with you or some other officer? How would I go about setting that up?" What would he say? "f*** if I know, man." Or would he be helpful. At any rate I think it'd be an effective come back after getting a ticket for f***ing rolling a stop sign.

I mean the more I think of it. I've had no tickets in a year or two at all! I have never broken the law except for speeding years ago. And this prick nails me at 1 a.m for rolling a stop sign?? On a side street? No traffic in sight?? My god. He hit the jackpot making 140 dollars for the city which i've already mailed in.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 02:17 AM)
I said I was guilty. Your line is uncalled for. I said I broke the law. The reason I said he "seemed" like a dick is uh, because he did seem like a dick. He mentioned twice my court date like I was going to go to court over this. He said I could mail it in or pay online. I said surprisedly, "I can pay online?" He got prickish and said, "what's that?" while an amazingly bright light was still lighting up my car and my face. I got the sense he was hoping he had a shot at me slurring my words being drunk even tho I don't drink. I just sensed he might be a prick.

I tend to agree. The more I think about it, me being chatty instead of letting him be a powerful big shot and control the conversation nailed me. I did think of something later I wish I'd done. After I signed the ticket, I wish I'd said very politely. "Hey I always have had this question. Can I ask you a question?" He'd think I was going to be a prick then. I'd say, "I've always wanted to go along with an officer during his night shift. Do you know if our police department would allow me to go with you or some other officer? How would I go about setting that up?" What would he say? "f*** if I know, man." Or would he be helpful. At any rate I think it'd be an effective come back after getting a ticket for f***ing rolling a stop sign.

I mean the more I think of it. I've had no tickets in a year or two at all! I have never broken the law except for speeding years ago. And this prick nails me at 1 a.m for rolling a stop sign?? On a side street? No traffic in sight?? My god. He hit the jackpot making 140 dollars for the city which i've already mailed in.

Disagree, my line was called for and delivered.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 03:53 PM)
Disagree, my line was called for and delivered.

Trust me, in no definition of dick was I being a dick. The definition of polite was me. I pulled over instantly, not even 50 yards from the stop sign. I did everything he asked. I never once spoke in anything but a respectful tone, albeit a bit too chatty. I f***ing apologized to him twice personally for barely rolling a stop sign to which he had no response.

I don't really understand why your line was called for and delivered. Trust me, this cop had dickish tendencies. I did not in this case. You won't even acknowledge the cop might have had some dick in him.

I would ask all board members: Considering it was 1 a.m., he knew I wasn't drunk, it was a fricking side street, I did stop yet admittedly not completely and rolled through the stop sign, cmon the guy was a bastard for writing me up and costing me 140 bucks wouldn't you say?? I mean you have to be an asshole by definition to give somebody a ticket for a stop sign violation unless you are ordered to raise money on the last day of the month (although it was after midnight technically on the 1st).

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
Trust me, in no definition of dick was I being a dick. The definition of polite was me. I pulled over instantly, not even 50 yards from the stop sign. I did everything he asked. I never once spoke in anything but a respectful tone, albeit a bit too chatty. I f***ing apologized to him twice personally for barely rolling a stop sign to which he had no response.

I don't really understand why your line was called for and delivered. Trust me, this cop had dickish tendencies. I did not in this case. You won't even acknowledge the cop might have had some dick in him.

I would ask all board members: Considering it was 1 a.m., he knew I wasn't drunk, it was a fricking side street, I did stop yet admittedly not completely and rolled through the stop sign, cmon the guy was a bastard for writing me up and costing me 140 bucks wouldn't you say?? I mean you have to be an asshole by definition to give somebody a ticket for a stop sign violation unless you are ordered to raise money on the last day of the month (although it was after midnight technically on the 1st).

Greg - I believe everything your saying and cop might have been that way, but you broke the law and deserved the ticket. Problem with rolling is the times that you drive on autopilot you very well might roll and not realize someone else is there. Could he have been nice and let you off, sure, but doesn't make him a dick because he didn't. That said, he could very well have been a jerk to you. You also have to remember that anytime an officer pulls someone over, it could be the last person they pull over. Never know who might pull something, etc...always on their guard.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)
Greg - I believe everything your saying and cop might have been that way, but you broke the law and deserved the ticket. Problem with rolling is the times that you drive on autopilot you very well might roll and not realize someone else is there. Could he have been nice and let you off, sure, but doesn't make him a dick because he didn't. That said, he could very well have been a jerk to you. You also have to remember that anytime an officer pulls someone over, it could be the last person they pull over. Never know who might pull something, etc...always on their guard.

Makes sense.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 08:24 PM)
Rule of thumb, dont do anything wrong on the roads in oak park.

Why? Are they especially stringent?

Had the exact same thing happen to me, but got lucky. I blew a stop sign on a side street at about 12:45 at night. Cop was waiting, pulls me over. Walks up, looks at my license, says "You know, the key to blowing a stop sign is to make sure there isn't a cop there watching you. It's a $75 ticket for 3 seconds of your time." I said "Yes, sir." He just says "Bonus night" and walks away. Not even an official warning.

I remember driving home from Bloomingdale (on 355) on a Friday night during rush hour. I was going faster than some.....slower than others though I still managed to be the one to get pulled over.

The cop approached my car on the passenger side....put his elbows on my window and did the usual "Do you know why I pulled you over?" routine.

I don't remember what i said to that but he said i was speeding and again the typical question "Why were you speeding?"

In my head i was saying "because i'm on a f***ing expressway in f***ing Chicago and i don't want to get run over" but instead i went with something along the lines of "It's Friday...and just trying to get home like everyone else to start my weekend"

OF COURSE, i get the smartass reply of "Well...It's Friday night for me too..and I'd like to go home to start my weekend"

Obviously...there is nothing I can say to this that doesn't get me in deeper trouble so i say nothing. He then leans in a little closer (again...from my passenger side) and says my eyes are all red and asks why. I say 'Really?" and i look in my rear view and my eyes are as white as snow. "Sir...i know the light in here isn't great but my eyes are fine."

He stares at me a long time and finally asks for my info and goes back to write me my speeding ticket. He came back with a ticket and of course the obligatory "You should consider yourself lucky this is the only ticket I'm writing you"

I never did figure out what he was thinking he could write me another ticket for....i said "thank you officer and have a nice weekend"

f***er still followed me for the next 10 miles.......