Baseball America Top 30

Y2Jimmy0

Many have probably seen the list already but my handbook came in the mail today so I will share a little.

1. Carlos Rodon LHP

2. Tim Anderson SS

3. Spencer Adams RHP

4. Micah Johnson 2B

5. Francelis Montas RHP

6. Micker Adolfo OF

7. Tyler Danish

8. Trey Michalczewski 3B

9. Courtney Hawkins OF

10. Jacob May OF

11. Chris Beck RHP

12. Carlos Sanchez INF

13. Jace Fry LHP

14. Matt Davidson 3B

15. Kevan Smith C

16. Cleuluis Rondon SS

17. Thaddius Lowry RHP

18. Trayce Thompson OF

19. Tyler Saladino INF

20. Luis Martinez RHP

21. Brandon Brennan RHP

22. David Trexler RHP

23. Adam Engel OF

24. Jake Peter 2B

25. James Dykstra RHP

26. Keon Barnum 1B

27. Onelki Garcia LHP

28. Michael Ynoa RHP

29. Jared Mitchell OF

30. Andy Wilkins 1B

Very interesting list. Disagree with a lot of it but they work really hard at Baseball America. They also listed Catcher Brett Austin at #31 and don't mention Nolan Sanburn in the book at all. Which is weird. White Sox listed as the #20 farm system in baseball.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Many have probably seen the list already but my handbook came in the mail today so I will share a little.

1. Carlos Rodon LHP

2. Tim Anderson SS

3. Spencer Adams RHP

4. Micah Johnson 2B

5. Francelis Montas RHP

6. Micker Adolfo OF

7. Tyler Danish

8. Trey Michalczewski 3B

9. Courtney Hawkins OF

10. Jacob May OF

11. Chris Beck RHP

12. Carlos Sanchez INF

13. Jace Fry LHP

14. Matt Davidson 3B

15. Kevan Smith C

16. Cleuluis Rondon SS

17. Thaddius Lowry RHP

18. Trayce Thompson OF

19. Tyler Saladino INF

20. Luis Martinez RHP

21. Brandon Brennan RHP

22. David Trexler RHP

23. Adam Engel OF

24. Jake Peter 2B

25. James Dykstra RHP

26. Keon Barnum 1B

27. Onelki Garcia LHP

28. Michael Ynoa RHP

29. Jared Mitchell OF

30. Andy Wilkins 1B

Very interesting list. Disagree with a lot of it but they work really hard at Baseball America. They also listed Catcher Brett Austin at #31 and don't mention Nolan Sanburn in the book at all. Which is weird. White Sox listed as the #20 farm system in baseball.

They have Sanburn on the OAK list, if I recall correctly.

It's a good list, even if I don't agree with all of it. Surprised to see Adolfo, Smith, Lowry and Brennan that high. Also think they're too low on Danish and Barnum, and I think they are missing the boat not ranking Wheeler.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
They have Sanburn on the OAK list, if I recall correctly.

It's a good list, even if I don't agree with all of it. Surprised to see Adolfo, Smith, Lowry and Brennan that high. Also think they're too low on Danish and Barnum, and I think they are missing the boat not ranking Wheeler.

He's not on Oakland's list. I asked Manuel and he told me that Sanburn isn't a top 30 player for him. I've liked BA for a long time but it's nuts to see guys like Mitchell and Wilkins on there instead of Sanburn.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
He's not on Oakland's list. I asked Manuel and he told me that Sanburn isn't a top 30 player for him. I've liked BA for a long time but it's nuts to see guys like Mitchell and Wilkins on there instead of Sanburn.

that list is very interesting and i really disagree with the 13-20 ....

but that will come later, i got a mardi gras ball to get ready for.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)

All I know about farm system rankings is too disregard them. I am still waiting for the Sox to get more than four good years' combined from that No. 1-ranked system in 2001.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
Thanks for the post Jimmy. I fail to see the fascination with Kevan Smith. I'll give him credit for learning how to hit pitching he is too old for and the White Sox love his makeup but I have trouble assessing any value to a catcher who can't catch the ball well enough to be in the majors.

Compared to the consensus, I am big on Davidson. Just about everybody is waaaaay down on him (and understandably so) other than Keith Law. I know not to assess prospect value with the potential opportunity they may or may not have, but Davidson is in AAA with the guy ahead of him being vastly inferior in terms of potential.

Here's the problem...the next time the White Sox have a kid in their system who is struggling because he strikes out too much who they help him reach his full potential and turn him into an above average big leaguer, it will be the first time.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)

Really? Yeah that's a little off to me. He's in the teens solidly IMO in the Sox system.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
He made a case that Kevan Smith should be talked about because the Sox failed on all of their high potential, high K guys but the Sox haven't converted on anything in the way of position players.

before the players sox have picked were in the high risk players, if they met their potential, which in my opinion they haven't.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
before the players sox have picked were in the high risk players, if they met their potential, which in my opinion they haven't.

That wasn't really the problem though. The problem was that Kenny Williams wanted high-upside athletes and Jerry Reinsdorf didn't want to spend any money on the draft. So what they did was start drafting high-upside athletes that were cheap. Because of this philosophy, they ended up with the Jared Mitchell's and Keenyn Walker's of the world. I blame JR far more than I do KW in this instance. The way the White Sox handled the draft under the old rules was disgusting.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
That wasn't really the problem though. The problem was that Kenny Williams wanted high-upside athletes and Jerry Reinsdorf didn't want to spend any money on the draft. So what they did was start drafting high-upside athletes that were cheap. Because of this philosophy, they ended up with the Jared Mitchell's and Keenyn Walker's of the world. I blame JR far more than I do KW in this instance. The way the White Sox handled the draft under the old rules was disgusting.

they are both guilty in my eyes, and that trend went back to the 90's.....

the "i am listening to my superiors" as an excuse doesn't wash with me. if some wanted to say that then KW drafted like crap.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
He made a case that Kevan Smith should be talked about because the Sox failed on all of their high potential, high K guys but the Sox haven't converted on anything in the way of position players.

If we're hanging the Sox banner of "success" on Kevan Smith as an example of progress/development...that would be a pretty low bar to jump over.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)

BTW, Jared Mitchell might well have been used as an example for how successful that method was if he didn't destroy a leg.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
BTW, Jared Mitchell might well have been used as an example for how successful that method was if he didn't destroy a leg.

Yeah, you could make that argument for Walker but there was nothing wrong with picking Mitchell where we got him. People are just made because "OMG we passed over Mike Trout for him!!!"

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
Yeah, you could make that argument for Walker but there was nothing wrong with picking Mitchell where we got him. People are just made because "OMG we passed over Mike Trout for him!!!"

Also IMO it's kinda hard to make that argument for Walker too...he was a sandwich pick, not a first rounder. A guy with decent speed who is raw but mgith have a shot isn't a bad gamble in the sandwich round.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
Also IMO it's kinda hard to make that argument for Walker too...he was a sandwich pick, not a first rounder. A guy with decent speed who is raw but mgith have a shot isn't a bad gamble in the sandwich round.

It was still OUR first pick though, it would have been nice to see a different approach to it. I can't remember, but wasn't Walker considered a reach? Like a 3rd roundish guy at the time?

I will say though, in regards to the "toolsy OF" approach, it is kind of amazing that we've so far had next to zero luck with drafting them. Mitchell, Walker, Thompson, Hawkins so far, Danks to a lesser extent. You'd think that one of them would have put things together. That's the crapshoot of the draft though

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
It was still OUR first pick though, it would have been nice to see a different approach to it. I can't remember, but wasn't Walker considered a reach? Like a 3rd roundish guy at the time?

I will say though, in regards to the "toolsy OF" approach, it is kind of amazing that we've so far had next to zero luck with drafting them. Mitchell, Walker, Thompson, Hawkins so far, Danks to a lesser extent. You'd think that one of them would have put things together. That's the crapshoot of the draft though

I don't specifically call that being the case, my memory had some people saying he could have gone there or higher, but I could be misremembering that one?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 02:22 AM)
In the prospect handbook, it mentions that Matt Davidson struggled with the fact that he didn't win a major league job and then also had family issues that further helped complicate his season. Were these family issues documented? Did anyone else know about them?

i am no expert and i definitely do not have any inside info, but it was documented of his not making the majors. but this is a first on his family issues. i wonder if this is a spin doctoring by the FO.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 08:22 PM)
In the prospect handbook, it mentions that Matt Davidson struggled with the fact that he didn't win a major league job and then also had family issues that further helped complicate his season. Were these family issues documented? Did anyone else know about them?

No idea if there was something serious going on, but he was a newlywed with a baby on the way last season.