Fangraphs Top 200 Prospects List

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)
I'm a little surprised Micah wasn't in the back end, but not totally shocked. Other than that the list positions make sense, relatively.

Definitely surprised. I'd love to hear his reasoning since everyone else seems to rate him well.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
Definitely surprised. I'd love to hear his reasoning since everyone else seems to rate him well.

I'm certainly familiar with what the concerns may be. He's heavily speed-reliant and has had leg and other injury issues, his fielding at 2B is a question mark, he doesn't likely have the arm to move to the OF, and he doesn't have a ton of power. Those are all known factors. I just personally think the strong hit tool, some increased patience at the plate and what I think is relatively low health risk if he sticks with a program outweigh those concerns.

He's not a T100 guy, but I feel pretty good putting him in T200 looking at the rest of the list.

Comment From Will

Let’s say that this time next year, Courtney Hawkins is a 50FV… What adjustments would he have made?

Kiley McDaniel: He’ll hit and not strikeout. That sounds overly simplistic but that’s about it, stop chasing the slider out of the zone and make more contact. Mostly mental at this point.

Comment From Eminor3rd

Micah Johnson close to the 200 at all? I think the Chicago media has overrated him, but I was still surprised to see Michalczewski ahead of him. Are you further down on Micah than consensus?

Kiley McDaniel: Yeah, Johnson is another guy that could be #201. Just injured a lot and limited upside. Could take a step forward with a strong, healthy 2015.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
Comment From Will

Let’s say that this time next year, Courtney Hawkins is a 50FV… What adjustments would he have made?

Kiley McDaniel: He’ll hit and not strikeout. That sounds overly simplistic but that’s about it, stop chasing the slider out of the zone and make more contact. Mostly mental at this point.

That's likely Will Siskel, one of our writers.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
Comment From Eminor3rd

Micah Johnson close to the 200 at all? I think the Chicago media has overrated him, but I was still surprised to see Michalczewski ahead of him. Are you further down on Micah than consensus?

Kiley McDaniel: Yeah, Johnson is another guy that could be #201. Just injured a lot and limited upside. Could take a step forward with a strong, healthy 2015.

Sounds about right, about what I said earlier. Glad to hear Kiley wasn't far off from where we were thinking of him.

I'm a little surprised at Michalczewski being that high myself, as he's not got plus tools to speak of either but a whole package of above average in almost everything.

His list is actually one of the ones I've liked the best so far. I know most everyone here is equally excited, but the Rodon rankings are really exciting me to the possibility of the direction of this franchise. If they can keep Samardzija or replace him with another front end RHP, that rotation could be special for the next 5 seasons.

If we're bringing stuff over from the Kiley top 200 chat, we may as well bring this (as I believe this is also our Will):

Comment From Will

Any 2015 draft prospects come to mind (HS or College) that have funky deliveries coupled with a track record of elite performance?

12:59

Kiley McDaniel: Carson Fulmer is your guy: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-mlb-draft-top-51/

And then there was this too:

1:00

Comment From Chris

Thoughts on Micah Johnson? Complete omission was kind of weird to me.

Comment From Chris

Seems very aggressive to drop Micah Johnson all the way out of the top 200. Reason?

Comment From Chris

Why is Micah Johnson not a top 200 prospect?

1:01

Kiley McDaniel: Chris thirsty

LOL

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
And then there was this too:

Comment From Chris

Thoughts on Micah Johnson? Complete omission was kind of weird to me.

Comment From Chris

Seems very aggressive to drop Micah Johnson all the way out of the top 200. Reason?

Comment From Chris

Why is Micah Johnson not a top 200 prospect?

1:01

Kiley McDaniel: Chris thirsty

LOL

Love it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
I think that's the highest I've seen both Rodon and Anderson. Which is good, because I think McDaniel is probably the best public guy now that Jason Parks is dead.

LOL at the bolded, be careful, some may think you are serious.

BP had Anderson slightly higher, and higher than Rodon, but they've always been higher on Anderson than anyone else.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
I think that's the highest I've seen both Rodon and Anderson. Which is good, because I think McDaniel is probably the best public guy now that Jason Parks is dead.

Did you ever listen to the Fringe Average podcast that Parks and Mike Ferrin used to do? I absolutely loved it. Good insight, LOTS of talk about Rodon, and really funny as well. I was so sad when Parks got the job with the Cubs and died.

I think saying Micah has limited upside is pretty foolish. He's got 80 speed and shown enough plate discipline to suggest he can be an impact leadoff hitter. Defensively, he's got the tools to be above average. Obviously he needs to put it all together, but if he does the ceiling is pretty high. Unfortunately, people evaluating him rely too heavily on his AAA stats, which are likely deflated due to him adjusting to the level while having hamstring injuries.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 08:09 AM)
I think saying Micah has limited upside is pretty foolish. He's got 80 speed and shown enough plate discipline to suggest he can be an impact leadoff hitter. Defensively, he's got the tools to be above average. Obviously he needs to put it all together, but if he does the ceiling is pretty high. Unfortunately, people evaluating him rely too heavily on his AAA stats, which are likely deflated due to him adjusting to the level while having hamstring injuries.

I agree. Johnson could end up being a slightly faster, slightly less power version of Ray Durham if he maximized his potential IMO.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 07:16 AM)
Was Bassitt on the list?

No. I imagine Kiley would peg Bassitt as a 40 future value player, meaning his below average and easily replaceable. Doesn't mean he's bad or doesn't have a future, just that there are a lot of guys like Bassitt around the minor league game.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 03:46 AM)
Did you ever listen to the Fringe Average podcast that Parks and Mike Ferrin used to do? I absolutely loved it. Good insight, LOTS of talk about Rodon, and really funny as well. I was so sad when Parks got the job with the Cubs and died.

I did, and its predecessor Up & In with Parks and Kevin Goldstein before his tragic demise in Houston as well. Both of those podcasts were absolute must-listen. Up & In was actually really significant to me, as it carried me through the roughest part of my life when I happened to be making the drive from Chicago to Columbus OH regularly for about 6-8 months. I'd have gone insane without those extremely long podcasts.

It's really a shame when people are taken from us so young. It seems to only happen to the best of them.