Davidson intends to enjoy reset button

southsider2k5

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
I am rooting for Davidson big time. He's one guy who could really help the team long term with a breakthrough.

Same. I might be his biggest supporter, and we might be of few that have not given up on him. He has a good year, he is the future 3B.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
Same. I might be his biggest supporter, and we might be of few that have not given up on him. He has a good year, he is the future 3B.

Well if people have given up on him, they're crazy. I am not optimistic about him making it, but you don't give up on a guy like that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 11:08 PM)
Well, I've no longer penciled him in, let's say that.

for me, i refuse to accept players like him, Erik Johnson, to suddenly turn horrible. as i said for hawkins last yr, i would like to see how they do with one more yr before i can come to conclusion on them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
Well, I've no longer penciled him in, let's say that.

Right, but unless it's the most extreme of cases (Rodon), I think penciling guys in at any point is the wrong idea anyways. I'm extremely excited about the prospects of Tim Anderson, but penciling him in as a starter at the MLB level 2 or 3 years from now is still a stretch. He'll likely get a chance, but we have no idea what anything holds. That's why building the farm system up to have tons of depth is so important, because these guys will bust and having back up plans in place in the event they do is very important.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Right, but unless it's the most extreme of cases (Rodon), I think penciling guys in at any point is the wrong idea anyways. I'm extremely excited about the prospects of Tim Anderson, but penciling him in as a starter at the MLB level 2 or 3 years from now is still a stretch. He'll likely get a chance, but we have no idea what anything holds. That's why building the farm system up to have tons of depth is so important, because these guys will bust and having back up plans in place in the event they do is very important.

excellent, and to put a whole amount of trust that a player / prospect will develop is a fans approach. but there are too many intangibles that will side rail a prospect.

the thing is, here, on the sox minor league, these prospects who does not develop, hits the whole org, b/c lack of depth. the sox will have expiring contracts in key positions within the next 3 yrs. hopefully whatever little depth the sox have, they will step up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)

Well, yeah, but Tim Anderson was in AA. Davidson had already had a successful cup of tea and 1 year in AAA when we acquired him. I'm not penciling in all prospects, but he seemed like a pretty sure thing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
Well, yeah, but Tim Anderson was in AA. Davidson had already had a successful cup of tea and 1 year in AAA when we acquired him. I'm not penciling in all prospects, but he seemed like a pretty sure thing.

Less so than an Erik Johnson, or any number of other players, though. EJ killed it in AAA (in 2013), while Davidson experienced a large drop-off (that no one seemed to notice - still don't).

There's hope because the ceiling remains high, but (once again I'm feeling the need to remind) he has been in a 2 year decline. 141 wRC+ in 2012, 117 in 2013, which is league adjusted for PCL, but not park adjusted for Reno, which would undoubtedly make it more dramatic. http://www.fangraphs.com/qa/517/are-wrc-an...e-minor-leagues Last year, he was somewhere in the 70's or 80's (couldn't find in quick search), but not a huge amount more than he'd already dropped off from 2012 to 2013.

Our braintrust was literally fooled by his successful cup of coffee with the DBacks. They're more than forgiven by this fan, looking at the overall ledger, but there seems to be a lot of denial surrounding MD on all sides.

And of course, I would love to be dead wrong.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
[/b]

Less so than an Erik Johnson, or any number of other players, though. EJ killed it in AAA (in 2013), while Davidson experienced a large drop-off (that no one seemed to notice - still don't).

There's hope because the ceiling remains high, but (once again I'm feeling the need to remind) he has been in a 2 year decline. 141 wRC+ in 2012, 117 in 2013, which is league adjusted for PCL, but not park adjusted for Reno, which would undoubtedly make it more dramatic. http://www.fangraphs.com/qa/517/are-wrc-an...e-minor-leagues Last year, he was somewhere in the 70's or 80's (couldn't find in quick search), but not a huge amount more than he'd already dropped off from 2012 to 2013.

Our braintrust was literally fooled by his successful cup of coffee with the DBacks. They're more than forgiven by this fan, looking at the overall ledger, but there seems to be a lot of denial surrounding MD on all sides.

And of course, I would love to be dead wrong.

I don't think anyone was fooled by his cup of coffee, since it wasn't a very good one. They misread more on his tools and potential for development, I think.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
I don't think anyone was fooled by his cup of coffee, since it wasn't a very good one. They misread more on his tools and potential for development, I think.

I would have been a little more blaming of the White Sox on Johnson, but not only did he fail, but his stuff was down across the board. That really isn't a scouting or development failure. That is something extra going on. That is a guy who is hurt, a guy who is failing between the ears, or something bigger. If he had the same stuff and failed, then we could talk about developmental failures.

Well, in Johnson's interview he said he fought shoulder inflammation all year, but they could not find a structural reason. Not that that's optimal to have a mystery shoulder, but if that is behind him he may find himself back to normal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)

Slight exaggeration there.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 3, 2015 -> 06:32 AM)
Slight exaggeration there.

A low BA, yes, but a 768 OPS for a 1st go-around isn't terrible by any stretch, and imo, did help legitimize his milb #'s in the eyes of the org, at least a little.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 07:35 AM)
well i didn't think he would break camp with the sox, considering his performance last yr. however, i would like to see how he does during the season.

Definitely make or break for him in 2015, and I know people will say "he's only 25", this time next year, but if he can't find a way to hit in the Paradise of the Knights new park, in two seasons, he's as much a prospect as Mitchell.

Really hope he turns it around. Needs to get completely healthy soon, so not to start Charlotte on the DL or playing hurt.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
Definitely make or break for him in 2015, and I know people will say "he's only 25", this time next year, but if he can't find a way to hit in the Paradise of the Knights new park, in two seasons, he's as much a prospect as Mitchell.

Really hope he turns it around. Needs to get completely healthy soon, so not to start Charlotte on the DL or playing hurt.

i am 100% with you on this, esp turning it around.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
well i didn't think he would break camp with the sox, considering his performance last yr. however, i would like to see how he does during the season.

Duh. I think we all do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
I don't see anyway to you can't call this a make or break year for Davidson.

thanks

in a way, i was trying to be nice about it. but in realty that what it is, i just wanted to see if he can do anything meaningful before i throw him off the cliff.