kwill

Hey Soxtalk Friends,

Right now as presently stand this is the current White Sox Rotation:

Rodon

Shields

Fulmer

Lopez

Giolito.

Rodon may not break camp as he is recovering from surgery so their is a possibility of him not pitching until May. Giolito is on the block with the Machado trade rumors so who knows what will happen. But, lets say for this exercise that he remains with the club and is part of the rotation. We would likely experience injuries or under performance by one or more starters this year.

I believe White Sox should not pickup a veteran starter. So here is the best case scenario for picking up a starter on a one year deal. You sign him, he has a monster first half and you trade him for a B level Prospect and maybe a flyer.

The White Sox would have more to gain using those starts on their own B-Level Prospect Starters like Stephens, Adams and Guerrero to battle it out in Spring Training. All three spent significant time in AA last year and will likely start the year in AAA if they do not make the major league roster. All three have shown some flashes of big league talent and this year is the time to see if they can become a back end starter or more.

Shields is likely to be traded(hopefully) midseason and that slot will likely open up. I suspect though the White Sox have correlated Shields leaving with Kopech arriving to the big leagues.

I know that they could each stand to gain to have at least half year in AAA but in a year from now are the White Sox going to have space in the rotation to really find out? Wouldn't it best serve the White Sox to know what they have before next off-season?

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:40 PM)
Hey Soxtalk Friends,

Right now as presently stand this is the current White Sox Rotation:

Rodon

Shields

Fulmer

Lopez

Giolito.

Rodon may not break camp as he is recovering from surgery so their is a possibility of him not pitching until May. Giolito is on the block with the Machado trade rumors so who knows what will happen. But, lets say for this exercise that he remains with the club and is part of the rotation. We would likely experience injuries or under performance by one or more starters this year.

I believe White Sox should not pickup a veteran starter. So here is the best case scenario for picking up a starter on a one year deal. You sign him, he has a monster first half and you trade him for a B level Prospect and maybe a flyer.

The White Sox would have more to gain using those starts on their own B-Level Prospect Starters like Stephens, Adams and Guerrero to battle it out in Spring Training. All three spent significant time in AA last year and will likely start the year in AAA if they do not make the major league roster. All three have shown some flashes of big league talent and this year is the time to see if they can become a back end starter or more.

Shields is likely to be traded(hopefully) midseason and that slot will likely open up. I suspect though the White Sox have correlated Shields leaving with Kopech arriving to the big leagues.

I know that they could each stand to gain to have at least half year in AAA but in a year from now are the White Sox going to have space in the rotation to really find out? Wouldn't it best serve the White Sox to know what they have before next off-season?

Especially with Rodon questionable...do you have confidence in each of those guys being 150+ innings pitchers this year? That's the other motivation for an extra starter, to not push guys too hard.

Bring back Holland and Pelfrey. We can piggy back them together in starts until young pitching is ready to come up. When that happens, the Sox release Shields/Holland/Pelfrey so they can move to Kansas to live in Gregg's basement.

So, Uh, yeah, I'm like down with adding another starting pitcher, and s***.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 04:01 PM)
Ive said it before, but if we strike out in FA, I think we should take on Hammel from the Royals. We'd have to give up nothing and he was bad last year but he has an arm and is a respected vet.

Not a bad suggestion if we run out of decent choices.

As recent as 2016 Tillman was a (Baseball Reference) 4.1 WAR pitcher. 2017 was a disaster, but I'd roll the dice on him bouncing back at age 30

No way I give him a multi year deal though

I agree with the OP's opinion. I think we should see what we have with some of our fringey arms. I don't have a problem signing a scrapheap SP or two who some upside, but outside of Rodon, Giolito, Lopez, Shields and Fulmer, and Kopech whenever he is ready, I think the next few opportunities should go to Stephens, Guerrero, Adams, and Cooper. I'd much rather see those guys get some starts then another Pelfrey type.

I'm fine giving all our AAA/AA arms a chance to see if anyone sticks. You get 5 starts, if you look like Covey you get a ticket back to Charlotte and next man up.

The ideal scenario is we find enough internal talent to fill out the rotation and throw all our money next year into short-term deals to fix the bullpen.