Dustin Fowler suing White Sox for injury

Sockin

I had his injury and it's a nightmare. Way worse than an ACL. Apparently his tendon was basically cut in half by the box. That's even worse than mine and he might never play high level baseball again. Most times you rip the tendon off the patella and the surgeons will repair it by drilling holes in the patella and attaching it using kevlar. You can recover and play high level sports again (Jimmy Graham) but it's a long ass road back. I am not sure how they even repair a tendon that is cut in the middle. The patella tendon is the 2nd largest tendon in your body after the achilles and is just as important.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
I had his injury and it's a nightmare. Way worse than an ACL. Apparently his tendon was basically cut in half by the box. That's even worse than mine and he might never play high level baseball again. Most times you rip the tendon off the patella and the surgeons will repair it by drilling holes in the patella and attaching it using kevlar. You can recover and play high level sports again (Jimmy Graham) but it's a long ass road back. I am not sure how they even repair a tendon that is cut in the middle. The patella tendon is the 2nd largest tendon in your body after the achilles and is just as important.

That makes it all the more depressing. First game of his career.... So sad.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)
That makes it all the more depressing. First game of his career.... So sad.

I feel awful for the kid. The way he tried to stand up and collapsed is the same thing I did. You literally have nothing connecting your quad muscle to your joint. There is no "there, there". You just collapse like an accordion. You try and move your leg and realize you cannot. Odd feeling.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:25 PM)

Sounds like this dude is pretty pissed...per the article according to the suit...

'By failing to properly pad, guard or cover the exposed box, the defendants showed “an utter indifference to or conscious disregard” for Fowler’s safety.'

By the looks of this the guy feels like the sox/isfa purposefully disregarded the safety of others, which sounds ludacris to me.

#1 I wonder how long that box has been there and no one has run into it

#2 The guy has a point, especially considering if this injury is as bad as you say.

#3 Kind of unrelated, but I wonder how this hasn't happened with the Cubs and their unpadded brick wall (I know the ivy, but still)

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:22 PM)
Good. Rein$dorf owes him millions of it is true about the box not being padded. That may have ruined his career. If that costs the sox the price of a big name FA, the fans will be out with pitchforks for Jerry.

It won't be JR. The ISFA is responsible for the ballpark and facilities. The white sox just rent the place.

He does have a legitimate case here. It will be interesting to see the settlement.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)

Yeah, it's a tough one when its a midsubstance tear. It's like trying to tie two pieces of spaghetti together. The internal augmentation device is needed to hold it together while it heals. He should be able to play again but it is a tough one and he'll probably miss a good chunk of this year.

edit: I didn't explain the internal augmentation device. It will be a type of synthetic substance such as gortex or the kevlar. They will weave it through the tendon to add stability to the structure as it won't be as strong as it can be for about 18 months. He'll probably play earlier than that but tendon (and most tissues) take about that long to achieve full tensile strength.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:16 PM)
Yeah, it's a tough one when its a midsubstance tear. It's like trying to tie two pieces of spaghetti together. The internal augmentation device is needed to hold it together while it heals. He should be able to play again but it is a tough one and he'll probably miss a good chunk of this year.

edit: I didn't explain the internal augmentation device. It will be a type of synthetic substance such as gortex or the kevlar. They will weave it through the tendon to add stability to the structure as it won't be as strong as it can be for about 18 months. He'll probably play earlier than that but tendon (and most tissues) take about that long to achieve full tensile strength.

informative post, thanks -- crazy what they can do! God bless my surgeon. Hopefully he can return to baseball and have a decent career.

Went back and watched the replay. That box isn't in the field of play and is, in fact, surrounded by padding on the wall and railing in the field of play. I'm not entirely clear how the hell he fit his leg between the wall and railing...bad luck? Sox/IFSA may settle this one but I'm not convinced they lose in court.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 01:37 AM)
Went back and watched the replay. That box isn't in the field of play and is, in fact, surrounded by padding on the wall and railing in the field of play. I'm not entirely clear how the hell he fit his leg between the wall and railing...bad luck? Sox/IFSA may settle this one but I'm not convinced they lose in court.

Yeah I just watched it as well...the Sox, or ISFA, have more merit in this case than I thought. I mean, if they did pad the actual box itself, would that padding have been enough to stop that injury? Also, he was running full speed like the entire way, not attempting to slow down even at the warning track. That right there is negligence on HIS part for not assuming risk of injury, or maybe it was a calculated one on his part. I mean, it's not like it was a high pressure in game situation, even if it was his first MLB game. Idk. But, now that I see that the box wasn't sticking out in the field of play (whether blatantly or "intentionally hidden" as the suit seems to suggest), I don't feel so bad for the guy.

Edited by Scoots

QUOTE (Scoots @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Yeah I just watched it as well...the Sox, or ISFA, have more merit in this case than I thought. I mean, if they did pad the actual box itself, would that padding have been enough to stop that injury? Also, he was running full speed like the entire way, not attempting to slow down even at the warning track. That right there is negligence on HIS part for not assuming risk of injury, or maybe it was a calculated one on his part. I mean, it's not like it was a high pressure in game situation, even if it was his first MLB game. Idk. But, now that I see that the box wasn't sticking out in the field of play (whether blatantly or "intentionally hidden" as the suit seems to suggest), I don't feel so bad for the guy.

Most likely. This type of injury was a slicing or cut type. If the edges were blunted by padding it probably would have have prevented it.

I do feel sorry for the the guy. regardless of who is at fault it has the potential to be a career changer and not for the better.

I don't blame him one bit...his career may very well be over. It's hard to say anyone was "negligent"....and looking at the replay I still don't see any box...just padding. Regardless...it's hard not to feel horrible for this kid. Just brutal...