Zika is Wreaking Havoc of Sorts

greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:15 PM)
Anybody worried about Zika virus? Problems in Florida but virus has been discovered in almost every state in the USA. Is this the big one? Or not. Worried? Or not.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/01/health/cdc-m...ning/index.html

It's a real problem and now with the Olympics, it's likely to spread to other parts of the world.

It was a big concern for me when I traveled to Puerto Rico earlier this year and my wife was 4-5 months pregnant. It sucks now that it invaded Florida since we go there every year for vacation. Not sure we'll be making the trip this year. Still deciding on baby #3.

I bet Florida's tourism industry gets smacked hard.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
Yes, we cancelled a wedding trip to the DR for this weekend because of it. More than half of their guests did.

My wife and I are beginning to think about having children and one of my closest friends is getting married in DR in April. I'm really on the fence about whether I am going to be attending for the same reasons.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
My wife and I are beginning to think about having children and one of my closest friends is getting married in DR in April. I'm really on the fence about whether I am going to be attending for the same reasons.

Ask your doctor and its a hard NO. The risk is very high for either one of you to get it, and then it lasts in males a long time I believe. Permanent damage to your future children outweighs a vacation every time.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
Zika setting up a potential "Children of Men" scenario here

I mean the numbers are still very low and I agree there's a sense of overreaction here. But at the same time, when it comes to kids, that's what we do. Odds are low you'll ever get in a car crash but you still use a car seat and buckle your kids in every time. Odds are low that your infant will succumb to SIDS, but you still make them sleep on their backs and get special, breathable fabrics.

At some point, even if the risk is 1%, it's just not going to be worth that awful reality later that you could have prevented it.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
I mean the numbers are still very low and I agree there's a sense of overreaction here. But at the same time, when it comes to kids, that's what we do. Odds are low you'll ever get in a car crash but you still use a car seat and buckle your kids in every time. Odds are low that your infant will succumb to SIDS, but you still make them sleep on their backs and get special, breathable fabrics.

At some point, even if the risk is 1%, it's just not going to be worth that awful reality later that you could have prevented it.

Also, an underrated movie IMO. I really liked it. I should go back and watch it again and see if it holds up.

Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you at all there. It's not worth the risk.

I'd be curious to see how CoM holds up, too.

Also, an underrated movie IMO. I really liked it. I should go back and watch it again and see if it holds up.

Its not bad at all. Its one of those movies where I wish there was a real ending though or a sequel