Savings Bonds

Middle Buffalo

I have a bunch of $200 bonds that I bought for $100 years ago. I used to have an automatic paycheck deduction that I used to purchase them, so I have a ton of them. I've looked them up, and quite a few are now worth $200 or more, even though they haven't reached their maturity date.

I've done some research, and from what I can tell, they can be cashed and used for education expenses to save on the tax hit.

Anybody know the best way to go about using them? Do I cash them and put them into a 529 plan? Should I cash them and immediately use them to pay for my son's college tuition? If so, do I put them into one of my accounts and write a check, or should I have a cashiers check made to the college?

A little advice is appreciated.

Depending on your state of residence, there are tax advantages to you now for putting them into a 529 plan as well as tax advantages for your children in the future. In Indiana, you receive a 20% tax credit on 529 contributions up to $5k in contributions. For example, if you were to contribute $5k, you would receive an additional $1k back during income tax season.

In Illinois, I believe you can use contributions as tax deductions. For example, if you make $100k and contribute $5k, you would only be "claiming" to make $95k.

The tax advantages for your kids is that when they pull the money out for higher education, it will be tax-free. Furthermore, the government has been changing the law as of late in that the money can be used for a lot more, whereas in the past, it had to be used for school. I believe now it can even go toward an apartment/rent for school and a few other things.

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful.

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Depending on your state of residence, there are tax advantages to you now for putting them into a 529 plan as well as tax advantages for your children in the future. In Indiana, you receive a 20% tax credit on 529 contributions up to $5k in contributions. For example, if you were to contribute $5k, you would receive an additional $1k back during income tax season.

In Illinois, I believe you can use contributions as tax deductions. For example, if you make $100k and contribute $5k, you would only be "claiming" to make $95k.

The tax advantages for your kids is that when they pull the money out for higher education, it will be tax-free. Furthermore, the government has been changing the law as of late in that the money can be used for a lot more, whereas in the past, it had to be used for school. I believe now it can even go toward an apartment/rent for school and a few other things.

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful.

That was my understanding. I guess I just have to keep good documentation.

Thanks!

Edited by Middle Buffalo