Cespedes back to Mets - 4 years, $110 mil

LittleHurt05

Well, we had a rash of players choosing to cash in early v. taking risk of cashing in later. Now, with less and less quality free agents to pay due to the younger players signing up through age 30, we see those that are available getting huge contracts -> which will lead to less younger players making that same decision if they are losing out on possibly 5--70 million dollars.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)
This contract is the 2nd highest AAV for a position player in the history of the game. How anybody can justify that for a guy that has been roughly a 3 fWAR player for all but one year of his career is beyond me. If he is worth that than it is impossible for Mike Trout to get a fair contract.

It's justifiable because the Mike Trouts of the world aren't going to free agency anymore. Your ability to find proven talented players is limited, so you have to pay more. And the AAV isn't as bad when only over 4 years, compared to toher 6 or 7 year deals.

So his annual salary is roughly a 1/4, maybe a 1/5 if we're lucky, of our annual payroll? And people really think this team is going to compete by signing free agents? Not a chance in hell, blow the whole thing up now. Laughable that people keep pointing to the Machado/Donaldson free agent class like it matters too, those guys are going to be getting $35M/year it looks like. Only chance this franchise has at competing is acquiring as many young, cheap assets as possible.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
It's justifiable because the Mike Trouts of the world aren't going to free agency anymore. Your ability to find proven talented players is limited, so you have to pay more. And the AAV isn't as bad when only over 4 years, compared to toher 6 or 7 year deals.

I don't know what Mike Trout will get in FA, but it's going to be interesting after 2018 because there's a shot we'll get the preview when Harper and Machado have a chance to hit FA.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
Cespedes is not worth $27.5M a year and not many players are IMO. I for one am glad we aren't out there even thinking of throwing that kind of money around. Cesepdes wanted to stay with the Mets anyway

And for those who continue to post things like "Sale's value just went up again," I'd actually make the converse argument and say this only makes it more difficult to get a package back of top-end prospects.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
And for those who continue to post things like "Sale's value just went up again," I'd actually make the converse argument and say this only makes it more difficult to get a package back of top-end prospects.

This x100. Continue to say that Sales cost savings dry up when talking about removing all immediate cheap talent these teams have to play with. Return is almost certainly going to see mix of near and far talent as nobody can take that hit.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
This contract is the 2nd highest AAV for a position player in the history of the game. How anybody can justify that for a guy that has been roughly a 3 fWAR player for all but one year of his career is beyond me. If he is worth that than it is impossible for Mike Trout to get a fair contract.

I think you've been a Sox fan for too long looking at this from the "cheap seats".

This is a big boy in the big city for big bucks. The Mets have made the playoffs both years Cespedes has been there. Cespedes is a celebrity, a presence and he has done quite well with the Mets . How well it plays out is any ones guess but you know Mets fans are dancing in the streets now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
This x100. Continue to say that Sales cost savings dry up when talking about removing all immediate cheap talent these teams have to play with. Return is almost certainly going to see mix of near and far talent as nobody can take that hit.

Big difference between paying prospects minor league salary or league minimum, along with the risk that comes along with that/paying a superstar like Sale verrrrry cheap for his production/overpaying a free agent like Cespedes. There is a massive amount of risk that comes with prospects - regardless of how cheaply paid they are. Premiums are paid for proven production, especially relatively cheap superstar-level proven production.

The surplus value and dry free agent and trade markets will all but ensure the Sox get almost any prospect they want as a headliner. Rick Hahn and his law degree know this.

Would you rather owe a Rich Hill 3/45 and get an injury-riddled old man over the next few years or give up (albeit dirt cheap) unproven talent for a cheaply paid YOUNG superstar like Sale? If I run a team and am ready to compete and have most of the rest of my roster filled out for the most part, option 2 sounds much more appealing.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
I think you've been a Sox fan for too long looking at this from the "cheap seats".

This is a big boy in the big city for big bucks. The Mets have made the playoffs both years Cespedes has been there. Cespedes is a celebrity, a presence and he has done quite well with the Mets . How well it plays out is any ones guess but you know Mets fans are dancing in the streets now.

Has nothing to do with being a Sox fan. They are paying Cespedes like he is one of the best in the game when he is not even close to being one of the best in the game. Not to mention the fact that he has been wildly inconsistent year to year. He will be the 3rd highest paid position player this coming year despite coming in 61st in fWAR among position players last year. Paying Yoenis Cespedes $27.5M as a 35 year old is something I would want no part of no matter whom I am a fan of.

Saw Dave Cameron wrote an article about the Mets should try to move Michael Conforto now (they have a huge glut of OFs).

What about something like OF Michael Conforto + SS Gavin Cecchini for Nate Jones?

Conforto was the #80 ranked prospect before his 1st major league season. He has now played a full season worth of games in the majors, and despite a low average (.238), he has a fine walk rate of 10%, and an average K% of 23%, to go along with 21 HR, above average defense, 109 wRC+ and a 3.4 WAR.

Gavin Cecchini is a SS likely to end up at 2B, and I would guess would come in around the top 50 in prospect lists. Was ranked #87 last year before hitting .325 in 117 AAA games this season, walking 10% of the time and only striking out a fantastic 11%. He also hits 8 HR, should play above average defense at 2B and has a strong arm.

Conforto will turn 24 before the year starts, Cecchini turns 23 in a month. Both are obviously major league ready, and both former 1st RD picks (10th and 12th respectively).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 10:13 PM)

That may be YOUR argument but it makes little sense. Cespedes is one player going back to a team that wanted him and paid him big bucks. Sale's situation is not the same thing. A team doesn't have to pay $27 million bucks for Sale and if they trade for Sale the price tag is young players and not $27M in salary.