CQ4MVP

southsider2k5

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 07:35 PM)
I doubt it unless Texas somehow beats out the Angels which isn't very likely. If Q can lead the lead in HR and finish in the top 3 in RBI while the Sox come in 1st in the Central he's got as good a chance as anyone.

Hamilton's a better story than Andre Dawson was in 1987.

Hamilton will win if his stats are better than Quentin's.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
Hamilton's a better story than Andre Dawson was in 1987.

Then Chipper should win in the NL, right?

The way it's defined is most valuable, not best player. Hamilton is the best player, but Q has carried this team with a little help from Dye, and our team is in 1st while Hamilton's is in 2nd by 8-11 games.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)

Wow, thanks for the insight.

Joe Borchard or Pablo Ozuna would win too if their stats were better than Quentin's too.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)
They are saying that Quentin will win MVP over Hamilton because he's on a winning team.

I'm saying otherwise.

The last time an AL hitter won MVP and didn't make the playoffs was A-Rod in 2003. Before that it was Cal Ripken in 1991. Unless Hamilton's numbers are FAR better than anyone else's, he won't win it if Texas doesn't make the playoffs.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
They'll give it to Hamilton.

No one can say definitely as of now sure they'll give it to that druggie. Sure, if he doesn't have a sharp dropoff it's possible, but I hope whoever is in the running for MVP by seasons end (whether it's Quentin or not) statistics and actual value are taken over a feel good story and one's ability to hit baseballs far in an exhibition game.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:57 PM)
The last time an AL hitter won MVP and didn't make the playoffs was A-Rod in 2003. Before that it was Cal Ripken in 1991. Unless Hamilton's numbers are FAR better than anyone else's, he won't win it if Texas doesn't make the playoffs.

I agree with you and Quentin is right up there power wise and his average is good. Plus Qunetin came out of no where and Hamilton had a good year in Cincy before going to Texas. I think impact player is important and that's Quentin.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
No one can say definitely as of now sure they'll give it to that druggie. Sure, if he doesn't have a sharp dropoff it's possible, but I hope whoever is in the running for MVP by seasons end (whether it's Quentin or not) statistics and actual value are taken over a feel good story and one's ability to hit baseballs far in an exhibition game.

It would be pretty hard to look away if he has 30 or 40 more RBI than anyone else, but if Quentin keeps it up and the Sox win, he'll have a pretty good shot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
It would be pretty hard to look away if he has 30 or 40 more RBI than anyone else, but if Quentin keeps it up and the Sox win, he'll have a pretty good shot.

Sportswriters are responsible for voting so it's possible they'll do something such as that. But really, Hamilton is a solid player and all, but what good are those additional 30/40 RBI's for Texas? Is that the only advantage he holds over other candidates? They probably won't be playing for anything in October, and if Rodriguez or Quentin are still putting up comparable numbers (with less RBI's) for teams in contention, they're more deserving of a most valuable player award.

OPS     AB    Runs  Hits   RBI   2B    HR   BB    SO    HBP

CQ .930 358 70 100 76 17 26 46 59 14

JH . 904 397 61 121 98 22 22 39 71 2

Besides having a higher BA, the only other major offensive categories that Hamilton has a lead in is Hits, RBI, and 2B. If you take into account that he also has 39 more AB's than CQ, those numbers become much closer.

This year, multiple teams have 2 or more candidates in the running, which may make the race more wide open than normal. (CHW - Quentin/Dye, BOS - Ramirez/Youkilis/Drew, TEX - Hamilton/Bradley/Kinsler).

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
I'll dust it off again. I know it's crappy, but I enjoy looking at him.

picture4ca9.png

It will be fine if you just edit out that weird yellowish green line around quentin.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:31 AM)
Which they aren't.

And it probably doesn't matter. His ridiculous RBI rate will probably be enough to win it(assuming it keeps up). Hamilton has gotten so much press this year, it's hard not to notice what he's doing, especially the sports writers who vote for the thing. On the other side of things, there's probably voters out there who barely know who Quentin is.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 08:31 PM)
It will be fine if you just edit out that weird yellowish green line around quentin.

Hm, I think it looks better with the glow cause I had a tough time cutting it, but I suck at this stuff. Slav should really get his ass in gear and clean up my mess.

Isn't he leading baseball in go ahead RBI (can't find that anywhere online but I they said it during the all star game)? And that was before today. If the Sox take the division and he's still on top in that stat, along with being near the top of many others as he currently is, it's hard to see Hamilton or anyone else taking it over him, great story or not. Morneau wasn't getting a whole lot of press until late in 2006.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
Which they aren't.

The only way I see CQ losing is because he is way behind in RBI.

What Would CQ's stats look like with Hamiltons opportunities?

With Runners on

AB CQ 141 Josh 200

AVG CQ .348 Josh .320

OBP. CQ .451 Josh .361

SLG CQ .638 Josh .595

OPS CQ 1.089 Josh .956

At least we know MVP voters will look at very telling splits.