David Freese

BamaDoc

I look at him kind of like when we had Beckham. Maybe not worth an arbitration raise. He is hitting .260 about .700 OPS and getting over 5 million playing third. I do like his career .800 plus OPS vs left-handers and experience. If the angels cut him rather than give him a raise could he fit as a platoon partner at third for us?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
I would think the Sox would rather have Davidson get back on track and play that role if not start altogether. Whether he does is obviously in question, but with where the organization sits, I don't see the utility in starting Freese. I am not as averse to bringing in older players as many others are, I would just prefer it to be a starting pitcher who could be flipped if the team doesn't end up in contention happen next year or a catcher who could split duties with Flowers (and ideally be a leader in a now very young clubhouse).

I too would like Davidson to be the player we thought he was going to be but after this year he has to show me. I wouldn't be crazy about him as the righty in a platoon, due to so few at bat, which is why I thought about a veteran with favorable platoon splits.