2017 Music thread

BlackSox13

I looked but didn't see the old music thread so I figured it was archived and would start another. Good place for tour dates, album debut's and overall music discussions.

So, what are Soxtalk music fans looking forward to in '17? I'll add my thoughts once the thread gets going. :D

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 10:08 PM)
I have tickets see Roger Waters & Sigur Ros within a week of each other later this year.

Those should be great shows to catch Leonard. It's great that Waters is still writing after all these years and I'm looking forward to hearing the new music.

Right now the wife and I are getting buzzed and watching a Royal Blood show from Reading festival in '15. I'll say one thing, they sound exactly like the album. They know how to put on a hell of a show!

Edit: not sure when yet but Royal Blood has a new album coming out this year and I cannot wait to hear it. The first album was amazing and set the bar pretty high.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)
Those should be great shows to catch Leonard. It's great that Waters is still writing after all these years and I'm looking forward to hearing the new music.

Right now the wife and I are getting buzzed and watching a Royal Blood show from Reading festival in '15. I'll say one thing, they sound exactly like the album. They know how to put on a hell of a show!

Edit: not sure when yet but Royal Blood has a new album coming out this year and I cannot wait to hear it. The first album was amazing and set the bar pretty high.

This will be my first time seeing any members of Pink Floyd live, so I am pretty excited. There is semi-recent Marc Maron WTF podcast with Roger that is worth listening to.

I've seen Sigur Ros once before and its hard for me to explain, but it was probably the most emotionally moving concert I have ever seen and I was completely sober and did not understand one word of what they were singing.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)

Royal Blood is incredible live. They were an early show at ACL and very few people were there, but by the time the first song had finished, the place was packed.

Run the Jewels 3 is a great album. As far as what I'm looking forward to, the Shins have a new album coming out this year. They are great.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 02:27 AM)
This will be my first time seeing any members of Pink Floyd live, so I am pretty excited. There is semi-recent Marc Maron WTF podcast with Roger that is worth listening to.

I've seen Sigur Ros once before and its hard for me to explain, but it was probably the most emotionally moving concert I have ever seen and I was completely sober and did not understand one word of what they were singing.

That's pretty special when a concert moves someone like that. I've been to a few concerts/shows that were more like a religious experience for me. Really don't know how else to explain it but it's pretty cool.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
Royal Blood is incredible live. They were an early show at ACL and very few people were there, but by the time the first song had finished, the place was packed.

Run the Jewels 3 is a great album. As far as what I'm looking forward to, the Shins have a new album coming out this year. They are great.

Yeah man, Royal Blood blew me away the first time I heard them. I think what caught my attention first was the sound coming from Kerr's bass, nothing like I had ever heard before. Have you seen the teaser trailer RB put out on the net? It shows someone getting a tattoo of "2017" on their arm. IMHO, they are referencing the upcoming album followed by a tour. I do know they are playing Bonnaroo in June this year and I doubt they are pond hopping for one show only so I'd bet there will be a North American tour this summer. Man, there is alot of good music coming out of the UK and I'm hoping to catch em when they tour the US.

I recently found a few local bands that have grown on me named Vamos, Twin Peaks and The Jetbirds. Had a chance to catch Vamos in November when they opened for a couple of Aussie bands at the Empty Bottle and funny enough that's where I met one of the band members from Twin Peaks so it was a blast.

Also digging a band from Wisconsin band called Tenement. Dudes have written a ton of music the last few years and it's pretty good.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 02:27 AM)

Ive been fortunate enough to see David Gilmour and Roger Waters twice (although it was "The Wall" so you knew exactly what you were getting.)

When Gilmour played the old Pink Floyd standards it was pretty crazy. A few times he really showed what kind of crazy s*** Pink Floyd could have done if they had access to today's technology. Pink Floyd is probably my favorite band of all time so in my opinion they were pretty amazing. I also bought tickets to Waters tour this year, so Im interested to see what he does when he isnt limited by it being purely Wall material.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Yeah man, Royal Blood blew me away the first time I heard them. I think what caught my attention first was the sound coming from Kerr's bass, nothing like I had ever heard before. Have you seen the teaser trailer RB put out on the net? It shows someone getting a tattoo of "2017" on their arm. IMHO, they are referencing the upcoming album followed by a tour. I do know they are playing Bonnaroo in June this year and I doubt they are pond hopping for one show only so I'd bet there will be a North American tour this summer. Man, there is alot of good music coming out of the UK and I'm hoping to catch em when they tour the US.

I recently found a few local bands that have grown on me named Vamos, Twin Peaks and The Jetbirds. Had a chance to catch Vamos in November when they opened for a couple of Aussie bands at the Empty Bottle and funny enough that's where I met one of the band members from Twin Peaks so it was a blast.

Also digging a band from Wisconsin band called Tenement. Dudes have written a ton of music the last few years and it's pretty good.

Royal Blood f***ing rules.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 06:25 AM)
So, I am on a free trial of Tidal, and I finally around to listening to Lemonade from Beyonce. I always wrote her off, but some of the stuff on this is incredible. "Don't Hurt Yourself" is a masterpiece.

I watched the video they did for HBO and was blown away. I think it had most, if not all of the songs from the album. Awesome visuals.

I'm not sure there is a better hip hop song ever than "Runaway" by Kanye West. That whole album (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy) is incredible.

I did like Solange's work, but when you listen to Beyonce's new stuff, it delivers entirely on the concept she sets forth. Betrayal and redemption find their way into Lemonade across the board.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 10:00 PM)
So I recently took the plunge and signed up for the trial for Apple music...HOLY BALLS my whole life has changed

I have Amazon music with my prime account but feels like the library could use some adding to

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 10:00 PM)
So I recently took the plunge and signed up for the trial for Apple music...HOLY BALLS my whole life has changed

Paying 14.99/mo for me, my wife and daughter is a steal.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)
Yep, unless you purchased the albums prior to joining

Yeah, that was my hesitation in joining - I wanted to keep everything for my collection...but I suppose I can always purchase the best albums for posterity.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
Yeah, that was my hesitation in joining - I wanted to keep everything for my collection...but I suppose I can always purchase the best albums for posterity.

I really like the features, i haven't really had any issues with it outside of a few bands not being part of Apple Music(specifically TOOL)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
I really like the features, i haven't really had any issues with it outside of a few bands not being part of Apple Music(specifically TOOL)

That is odd considering Tool has been making music for 20 years. Then again I know nothing about any of the music sources ( apple, Amazon, tidal, spotify, etc) being used today so maybe it's me that is odd. :lol: