> 2018 MLB Draft, Sox pick #4
GenericUserName
post Oct 10, 2017 -> 09:18 AM
Post #391

Bristol (R)

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,878

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 09:42 AM) *
I get the size and stuff argument, but did he really dominate though? A 3.21 ERA, 9.21 K/9 and 1.21 WHIP isn't exactly overwhelming, especially when you compare those numbers to other SEC pitchers like Faedo and Fulmer.

Are you comparing all of their sophomore years or Faedo and Fulmer junior years against Singer's sophomore?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cjgalloway
post Oct 10, 2017 -> 10:45 AM
Post #392

Bristol (R)

Member No.: 9,995

In no way, shape, or form did Singer dominate. THAT is why he makes me nervous as a 1-4 pick.. I just do not like it (things can change).

+Quote Post
hi8is
post Oct 10, 2017 -> 09:35 PM
Post #393

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 662

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 09:45 AM) *
In no way, shape, or form did Singer dominate. THAT is why he makes me nervous as a 1-4 pick.. I just do not like it (things can change).

Things can change being the mantra... if we do go pitching - I sure hope it's a prep. Otherwise, give me the best available bat up the middle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

+Quote Post
BlackSox13
post Oct 10, 2017 -> 11:08 PM
Post #394

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 9,160

Yeah, Fulmer isn't the best pitcher to bring up when discussing Singer. Fulmer thrived on college hitters swinging at his stuff off the plate and we've all seen how that didn't translate well for him in professional ball. But, Fulmer has made good progress and surprised many with the chance he got in September. Singer is already a strike thrower so his ERA being higher is not that surprising. The Sox had ALOT of work to do just to get Fulmer to where he is and is still a work in progress. Singer appears to need work on refining his pitches which to me is easier to coach.

Fulmer was and still is a thrower whereas Singer is a pitcher. If they were coming out of the draft together, I'd take Singer over Fulmer and I'm not factoring in their size difference either. Taking size into consideration, Singer would be an absolute slam dunk for me.

And yes. I know I said I was going to hold off on this but I can't help it, y'all have lured me in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
hi8is
post Oct 11, 2017 -> 02:14 AM
Post #395

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 662

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 10:08 PM) *
And yes. I know I said I was going to hold off on this but I can't help it, y'all have lured me in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

It's a given that everything changes in the next 8 months... but... there isn't going to be all that much else for us to do for a while here other than endlessly chase our "draft prospect tails".

+Quote Post
ptatc
post Oct 11, 2017 -> 06:17 AM
Post #396

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 2,068

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 10:35 PM) *
Things can change being the mantra... if we do go pitching - I sure hope it's a prep. Otherwise, give me the best available bat up the middle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

The draft is such a crapshoot. They should take the player they think is going to be the best regardless of position or level.

+Quote Post
Y2JImmy0
post Oct 11, 2017 -> 07:00 AM
Post #397

MVP

Group: FutureSox Writer
Member No.: 7,420

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 11:06 AM) *
Past few years seems like there has been a disconnect with the Draft writers rising college talent up the boards and the actual draft picks. Think Kyle Wright, whose strong finish had writers putting him in 1-1 conversation. McKay too. I think the writers see the college kids more and have a slight (not big) disconnect on how the teams are valuing the HS kids.

Kyle Wright wasn't going to take the discount that Royce Lewis did though. That's a huge factor for teams like the Twins who had multiple picks in the top 50. They got a discount at #1 and then paid a tough HS signing multiple times throughout the rest of the draft. Hunter Greene was the best player in the draft and the Reds paid him accordingly. Mackenzie Gore was the best HS pitcher but also was cheaper than Wright or McKay would have been in the same spot. Tampa Bay and Atlanta were willing to pay around $7 million for the top college talent that fell into their laps.

+Quote Post
bmags
post Oct 11, 2017 -> 08:29 AM
Post #398

PC Bro

Group: Admin
Member No.: 192

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 08:00 AM) *
Kyle Wright wasn't going to take the discount that Royce Lewis did though. That's a huge factor for teams like the Twins who had multiple picks in the top 50. They got a discount at #1 and then paid a tough HS signing multiple times throughout the rest of the draft. Hunter Greene was the best player in the draft and the Reds paid him accordingly. Mackenzie Gore was the best HS pitcher but also was cheaper than Wright or McKay would have been in the same spot. Tampa Bay and Atlanta were willing to pay around $7 million for the top college talent that fell into their laps.

I don't see any reason why this changes this year, though, which is why I'd bet the #1 overall pick will not be a college pitcher.

+Quote Post
Y2JImmy0
post Oct 11, 2017 -> 09:00 AM
Post #399

MVP

Group: FutureSox Writer
Member No.: 7,420

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 09:29 AM) *
I don't see any reason why this changes this year, though, which is why I'd bet the #1 overall pick will not be a college pitcher.

You are probably correct about that. However, Detroit, San Francisco, Philly, and the Sox don't have extra comp picks to save money for which could prompt them to just take the best player regardless. I think HS guys are the top 5 in the class anyway though.

+Quote Post
southsider2k5
post Oct 11, 2017 -> 11:22 AM
Post #400

Soxtalk Group Thinker

Member No.: 298

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 10:00 AM) *
You are probably correct about that. However, Detroit, San Francisco, Philly, and the Sox don't have extra comp picks to save money for which could prompt them to just take the best player regardless. I think HS guys are the top 5 in the class anyway though.

The Sox have always taken BPA with their top pick, even when they knew it was going to cost them dearly, as it did with Rodon for example.

+Quote Post
Balta1701
post Oct 11, 2017 -> 12:09 PM
Post #401

There are no strings on me

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 12:22 PM) *
The Sox have always taken BPA with their top pick, even when they knew it was going to cost them dearly, as it did with Rodon for example.

This doesn't quite sound right to me, especially if we go back a decade (same administration). With those picks they were prioritizing "having guys who could be traded or contribute to the ballclub rapidly" over the best available talent. I also feel like guys in the Mitchell-Hawkins-Anderson years were signed underslot as well, although my memory is fuzzier there so someone please tell me if I'm wrong? I feel like the moment when we could all say "The White Sox took the BPA" literally started with Rodon.

+Quote Post
bmags
post Oct 11, 2017 -> 12:44 PM
Post #402

PC Bro

Member No.: 192

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 01:09 PM) *
This doesn't quite sound right to me, especially if we go back a decade (same administration). With those picks they were prioritizing "having guys who could be traded or contribute to the ballclub rapidly" over the best available talent. I also feel like guys in the Mitchell-Hawkins-Anderson years were signed underslot as well, although my memory is fuzzier there so someone please tell me if I'm wrong? I feel like the moment when we could all say "The White Sox took the BPA" literally started with Rodon.

Yeah I disagree for different reasons. One, I think draft history for the white sox that's useful begins with the draft allotments (2013?).

But, I also think that Rodon is the only real example of us taking BPA anyway. The strategy of going underslot in the first really is only effective when you have the bigger 1-5 bonuses and would have a shot at the first group after the comps or throwing money at the final high schoolers worth a damn in the 3rd round.

The sox drafted Rodon, he was also clearly BPA. Did we draft BPA with Burger? He fit our new type but I wouldn't say he was obvious BPA. With Collins? I don't think so either.

But it's also because I don't really think BPA is an easy concept in the mlb draft. I think of these guys in tiers.

+Quote Post
Joshua Strong
post Oct 13, 2017 -> 11:43 AM
Post #403

Benchwarmer

Member No.: 9,074

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 01:44 PM) *
Yeah I disagree for different reasons. One, I think draft history for the white sox that's useful begins with the draft allotments (2013?).

But, I also think that Rodon is the only real example of us taking BPA anyway. The strategy of going underslot in the first really is only effective when you have the bigger 1-5 bonuses and would have a shot at the first group after the comps or throwing money at the final high schoolers worth a damn in the 3rd round.

The sox drafted Rodon, he was also clearly BPA. Did we draft BPA with Burger? He fit our new type but I wouldn't say he was obvious BPA. With Collins? I don't think so either.

But it's also because I don't really think BPA is an easy concept in the mlb draft. I think of these guys in tiers.

2012, that when that CBA came into effect and introduced the strict bonus pools

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 25 26 27
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 02:54 AM