Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

I saw Rock mention that he bought a new Jeep recently, and I actually purchased a new car recently too, and then I realized that we don't have a good place to talk about this kind of thing.

Anyways, about 2 months ago, I invested in a 2013 Dodge Dart. I actually got the "weakest" of the 3 generic models (2.0L, which is about 185 HP; the 1.4L comes with a turbo, so it's HP is the same but with more torque, and the 2.4L is obviously faster), but you can pretty much customize them any way you want if you're willing to spend a little bit. I didn't want to spend much more than sticker price ($21,500), so I put $3,500 down and got a 2.9% APR over 6 years. It's something I can afford at any given time and once I get some money saved up, I'll start making overpayments off with the intention of having it paid off in 5 years (or fewer).

Got it in "Header Orange" and it just sticks out amongst all the cars. I love it. First on the To Do list with it is to get the windows tinted with the second being getting the rims painted glossy black. Third, at some point down the road, is to get a turbo installed.

Bought my first car a few months out of college this past summer, Ford Focus hatchback Titanium. Sticker price was like $27k ish, got a great deal on it though, down to about $22.5k, which was below invoice and then had incentives. So far I love the car, it's a bit small for the seats in the back, but I mostly drive it solo anyways and the mpg is about 30 right now which I love.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
Bought my first car a few months out of college this past summer, Ford Focus hatchback Titanium. Sticker price was like $27k ish, got a great deal on it though, down to about $22.5k, which was below invoice and then had incentives. So far I love the car, it's a bit small for the seats in the back, but I mostly drive it solo anyways and the mpg is about 30 right now which I love.

Is that 30 MPG in town or on average? I get about 24 or so in town but I'm around 30-34 on the highway, which is probably my favorite thing about the car considering I was used to driving around a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee which got, at best 14 MPG in town and was usually around 10-12 MPG

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
I saw Rock mention that he bought a new Jeep recently, and I actually purchased a new car recently too, and then I realized that we don't have a good place to talk about this kind of thing.

Anyways, about 2 months ago, I invested in a 2013 Dodge Dart. I actually got the "weakest" of the 3 generic models (2.0L, which is about 185 HP; the 1.4L comes with a turbo, so it's HP is the same but with more torque, and the 2.4L is obviously faster), but you can pretty much customize them any way you want if you're willing to spend a little bit. I didn't want to spend much more than sticker price ($21,500), so I put $3,500 down and got a 2.9% APR over 6 years. It's something I can afford at any given time and once I get some money saved up, I'll start making overpayments off with the intention of having it paid off in 5 years (or fewer).

Got it in "Header Orange" and it just sticks out amongst all the cars. I love it. First on the To Do list with it is to get the windows tinted with the second being getting the rims painted glossy black. Third, at some point down the road, is to get a turbo installed.

Just got my front windows tinted today to match the rest.

Also plasti-dipping some of the emblems this weekend.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
Is that 30 MPG in town or on average? I get about 24 or so in town but I'm around 30-34 on the highway, which is probably my favorite thing about the car considering I was used to driving around a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee which got, at best 14 MPG in town and was usually around 10-12 MPG

Combined, I probably get around 25-27 in the city, and close to 40 on the highways (closer to 35 if I'm going over 70, which is typical for me). My record mpg is about 45mpg on a highway trip going about 65.

Also love the fact that oil changes are every 10k miles.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)

Was it Brady?

• 1 month later...

I just traded in my 1993 suburban for a 2003 suburban. I'm actually proud of myself that I managed to talk them down from their original asking price to under the KBB price. I also managed to get $900 for my trade-in sight-unseen.

It might have been worth a bit more than that but I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of selling it myself. It had a handful of minor cosmetic flaws and a few spots of rust but the engine only had 143,000 miles on it. Not bad for a 20 year old vehicle. The air-conditioning didn't work either which made it brutal to drive the past week or so.

It's so nice to finally drive a suburban where everything works in it.

Edited by Iwritecode

I tried to buy a 1999 isuzu Amigo like I had back in the day a few months back. They had it listed for $3900, which was a few hundred higher than it should have been, but not too far out of line. I drove it, handled nice, looked good, and the convertible top was in excellent shape. Now the part everyone hates, getting to the price. Since I knew it was a bit high, I made an offer of $3200, figuring on meeting somewhere in the middle around $3500 or so. They wouldn't budge. Now I'm thinking this is a stick shift car, which not many people drive anymore and had already been sitting on the lot for months, they should be itching to get rid of it. So instead of paying cash, I offered to let them finance it if they came down to $3500. I could always pay it off after a few months and be done with it. They seemed agreeable with it and went to work the math, came back with a price per month that would have worked out to an interest rate of 85%! I just got up and left. Didn't NEED a car, just wanted one. I can wait. The dealership was Gregory Hyundai in Highland park, just so you know.

Bigrus, that Focus hatchback is a nice ride. Good call.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
Pretty sure I've mentioned it before, but here again... if you are going to buy a new car, or even a recent model used on, always use TrueCar for pricing information. Huge value in using that free tool.

I got my car for about $1000 under TrueCar's prices. I actually shot for the lowest price reported on TrueCar when I was negotiating.

Recently I've been trying to find a hybrid for my wife. Debating between the Ford Focus, Prius V and Hyundai Sonata. It'd be mostly a commuter car for her, with the need to be big enough to put a car seat (or two in the future) in the back and haul a kid to/from things. I've read up on all three models but haven't driven any yet, though I did sit in them at the auto show. Anyone have any of these models or know people that have them?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
Recently I've been trying to find a hybrid for my wife. Debating between the Ford Focus, Prius V and Hyundai Sonata. It'd be mostly a commuter car for her, with the need to be big enough to put a car seat (or two in the future) in the back and haul a kid to/from things. I've read up on all three models but haven't driven any yet, though I did sit in them at the auto show. Anyone have any of these models or know people that have them?

The Focus and the Sonata were my top 2 choices when I was looking. I ended up with the Sonata and it's been great for me. The biggest difference was the 100,000 mile warranty. Ford only had 60,000.

Edited by Iwritecode

Loved our Ford Escape Hybrid, but they stopped making them (if you are going new).

If it is a second, commuter car... consider an electric maybe. Leaf or something. Big tax rebates on them, and if it is just a get-around car, and the range covers your usual needs (with room to spare - make sure), they are super-cheap to operate. I wouldn't recommend it if it is your only car though.

Prius are of course good cars. We liked the hybrid Focus, we test drove one a while ago. Never drove the Hyundai.

And I know you have kids, so... check the leg room and measure. That was a big criteria for us.

Ford Fusion Hybrid. You can probably get one for 26K if you negotiate well.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
The Focus and the Sonata were my top 2 choices when I was looking. I ended up with the Sonata and it's been great for me. The biggest difference was the 100,000 mile warranty. Ford only had 60,000.

Yeah, Hyundai clearly has the best warranty out of all the manufacturers. They also have a lifetime warranty on all of the battery/hybrid equipment, whereas Ford's is only 8 years, 100k miles. But, it gets worse gas mileage (36/40 v. the Fusion's 47/47) and generally the reviews seem to think the Fusion drives a lot better.

Was there anything else besides the warranty that tipped the scale for you? I remember the Sonata felt a little cramped at the auto show (i'm a bigger guy, 6 foot, 230), but it's been a while and it's not going to be my car so i'm sure it'll be fine for my wife.

Financing might ultimately make the decision for me. Ford is at 1.9% for 60 months and Hyundai is 0%. After buying my Ford Escape at 0% i'm a little spoiled in that regard and feel a little "insulted" that I can't get 0% for a new car.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
Loved our Ford Escape Hybrid, but they stopped making them (if you are going new).

If it is a second, commuter car... consider an electric maybe. Leaf or something. Big tax rebates on them, and if it is just a get-around car, and the range covers your usual needs (with room to spare - make sure), they are super-cheap to operate. I wouldn't recommend it if it is your only car though.

Prius are of course good cars. We liked the hybrid Focus, we test drove one a while ago. Never drove the Hyundai.

And I know you have kids, so... check the leg room and measure. That was a big criteria for us.

I've looked at the Leaf and the Volt and I'm a little nervous buying the 1st/2nd generation of new models. I remember when I was sitting in them I didn't think they'd be very user-friendly for getting a one year old in and out of a back seat.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
Yeah, Hyundai clearly has the best warranty out of all the manufacturers. They also have a lifetime warranty on all of the battery/hybrid equipment, whereas Ford's is only 8 years, 100k miles. But, it gets worse gas mileage (36/40 v. the Fusion's 47/47) and generally the reviews seem to think the Fusion drives a lot better.

Was there anything else besides the warranty that tipped the scale for you? I remember the Sonata felt a little cramped at the auto show (i'm a bigger guy, 6 foot, 230), but it's been a while and it's not going to be my car so i'm sure it'll be fine for my wife.

Financing might ultimately make the decision for me. Ford is at 1.9% for 60 months and Hyundai is 0%. After buying my Ford Escape at 0% i'm a little spoiled in that regard and feel a little "insulted" that I can't get 0% for a new car.

Other than me knowing somebody that worked at the Hyundai dealership, not really. It was mostly the warranty.

Although I did think the Fusion had an odd "blinking" noise when I used the turn signal. It's not something I usually notice as most turn signals make a similar noise but that one really stood out to me for some reason.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)

The Fusion doesn't get 47 MPG. It gets something more like 40, at least that's what most reviews have said.

Edited by chw42

I have a 2012 focus hatchback, and as some who is over 6 ft I have to put my seat all the way back, meaning tere is zero legroom in the back. If you're tall, don't expect legroom in the back.

Other than that, it's a great commuter car.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Just got my front windows tinted today to match the rest.

I need to do that to my front windows.

On that note, I love my 2010 Ford Explorer. All black exterior/interior. I've had it for 18 months and couldn't be happier. I have 2.5 years until it's paid off. Looking forward to that day. I hope to have it at least 5-6 more years so that once I pay it off, I can start saving up those monthly payments and then put down a lot of money for my next car.

1994 Mazda Miata, stock except for KYB adjustable shocks, an annoyingly loud exhaust (which I love) and the rollbar. I autocross it when I have time and basically am in a permanent state of epic hoonage. Go ahead, make fun of it because its gay.

post-2331-1374453647_thumb.jpg