Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 03:33 PM)
Really interesting read on the kid, especially his view on money.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-shohei...-htmlstory.html

That is interesting.

Sounds like he might be a guy who doesn't particularly care about the easiest path or what others before him have done.

Could he be sold on a chance to join a young, budding powerhouse?

Would we let him be a starting pitcher? Or a closer? It seems to at least be worth a shot.

If Sox got this guy to go with this year's No. 2 draft pick and next year's No. 1 pick, that's a LOT of projected superstars. However, the fact Rodon and Fulmer do not look like locks to be superstars shows the tenuousness of the draft.

But I digress.

The Sox should try to get this guy IMO. I'd rather use him as an everday player, though. It goes back to the days of Babe Ruth. You are more valuable as an everday player than pitcher.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 07:18 PM)
If Sox got this guy to go with this year's No. 2 draft pick and next year's No. 1 pick, that's a LOT of projected superstars. However, the fact Rodon and Fulmer do not look like locks to be superstars shows the tenuousness of the draft.

But I digress.

The Sox should try to get this guy IMO. I'd rather use him as an everday player, though. It goes back to the days of Babe Ruth. You are more valuable as an everday player than pitcher.

He seems to really want the chance to do both, and I think the team that lands him will be one that presents him with that opportunity. The White Sox are in prime position to try it.

Since money isn't a big deal, it's going to be interesting to see how creative teams get when they try to lure him to sign with them. Plenty of teams will offer to play him inbetween starts so what else can teams offer him to separate themselves from the rest? Teams are going to have to get very creative.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 08:54 PM)
Neither was Abreu.

Not every team was able to bid on Abreu either, some big players ( Dodgers, Yanks, Red Sux) were out, much like Robert. Plus the Sox had a very strong connection with Cuban players.

Otani is a very different situation from Abreu.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 06:05 PM)
Elaborate.

QUOTE (Quin - elaborated by hi8is @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 09:51 PM)
Otani is not, under any circumstance, coming to the Sox.

There ya go. Elaboration complete.

:lol:

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
No circumstance possible? Did you consider the circumstance where Iguchi calls him and says "White Sox. Fun team."?

I should just select the "ignore" option for this entire thread... oh wait, there isn't one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)
That is interesting.

Sounds like he might be a guy who doesn't particularly care about the easiest path or what others before him have done.

Could he be sold on a chance to join a young, budding powerhouse?

Would we let him be a starting pitcher? Or a closer? It seems to at least be worth a shot.

I agree. Reading that really changed my perspective. Maybe they can find something to sell him on?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2017 -> 07:55 AM)
Maybe it is the oldness speaking, but the White Sox were always a leader for Abreu. Most of the top spending teams didn't need him, and the Sox were the most obvious team, both in the media and in speculation.

Yeah, the Rockies were really the only other choice.

As for Otani, I agree it isn't likely, but if you buy into that article at all, I'm not quite sure how one could dismiss the Sox entirely.

The guy is passing up what is believed to be hundreds of millions of dollars so he can come to the US two years early and play in the mlb. Why the hell would he care about the difference between $300k to sign and $5 million? He already has money and doesn't spend it as it is.

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 30, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
'

Lmao, I was actually aboard the Abreu to the Sox train because it made feasible sense.

Quin,

Please explain to me how Otani leaving Japan now, instead of in two years, makes "feasible sense"?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 30, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
Isn't Japan infamous for running its pitchers into the ground?

Read the article.

It is his choice to pitch - he could be an everyday player if he wanted to be. He wants to do things that have never been done before, describing a desire to be a pioneer.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 09:16 PM)
Not every team was able to bid on Abreu either, some big players ( Dodgers, Yanks, Red Sux) were out, much like Robert. Plus the Sox had a very strong connection with Cuban players.

Otani is a very different situation from Abreu.

This explanation is inaccurate. Abreu wasn't a restricted amateur signing.