Off Season Buy Low Candidates

TheFutureIsNear

I'll start it off with my suggestion...Maikel Franco from the Phillies. They need pitching and have some infield depth. Wouldn't mind throwing a couple of our pitching prospects at the Phillies if they want to unload Franco. Wouldn't include any of Gio, Lopez, Kopech, Cease, or Hanson though.

Who are some young names you'd like to see us acquire for relatively cheap this off season?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy low FA candidates:

C Chris Iannetta (Looking for a good pitch framer to boost our young pitcher's confidence)

C Rene Rivera (same)

P Clay Buchholz (He was awful and hurt in 2017. I think he's the type of guy who should WANT to go to the Sox to try to reclaim his career. Was great as recently as 2015)

P Tyler Chatwood (Needs someone to rework his mechanics to fix those control issues)

P Jamie Garcia (Another guy with control issues, however, used to be a very good command guy. Needs help finding that release point again)

P Tyson Ross (Went from All-star level in 2015, to trash the following two years. Buying very low here. Do it)

As far as relievers go, there are a bunch of options. Neftali Feliz, Drew Storen, and others.

Or just go after some RPs that are good 2nd tier guys that can be flipped after a few months in the closer role. Jake McGee or Mike Minor.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 11:22 PM)
Buy low FA candidates:

C Chris Iannetta (Looking for a good pitch framer to boost our young pitcher's confidence)

C Rene Rivera (same)

P Clay Buchholz (He was awful and hurt in 2017. I think he's the type of guy who should WANT to go to the Sox to try to reclaim his career. Was great as recently as 2015)

P Tyler Chatwood (Needs someone to rework his mechanics to fix those control issues)

P Jamie Garcia (Another guy with control issues, however, used to be a very good command guy. Needs help finding that release point again)

P Tyson Ross (Went from All-star level in 2015, to trash the following two years. Buying very low here. Do it)

As far as relievers go, there are a bunch of options. Neftali Feliz, Drew Storen, and others.

Or just go after some RPs that are good 2nd tier guys that can be flipped after a few months in the closer role. Jake McGee or Mike Minor.

Of this list though, Clay Buchholz, Jamie Garcia, and Drew Storen are my 3 most wanted of the buy-low guys. McGee or Minor would be wise just to use as trade fodder in July.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 01:11 AM)
I'll start it off with my suggestion...Maikel Franco from the Phillies. They need pitching and have some infield depth. Wouldn't mind throwing a couple of our pitching prospects at the Phillies if they want to unload Franco. Wouldn't include any of Gio, Lopez, Kopech, Cease, or Hanson though.

Who are some young names you'd like to see us acquire for relatively cheap this off season?

I hope we're not at the point where we want to trade the guys we got for the next WS team for other prospects. This madness has to stop. You take the guys we got and for better or worse they are the core of our next WS team. The trading is done unless you want to trade Avi and Abreu which I think is dumb. But the young guys we got in trades?? Geez we can't be talking about trading them. This is madness. At some point soon we need to win again. How many years in a row do you want to go sub .500?? 20-30 years in a perpetual rebuild?

I repeat .. we do not trade the guys we've already traded for!!

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 01:26 AM)
It’s still shocking to see the opinions you form when you clearly have no grasp of the concepts being presented and discussed.

1. The “trading” should never be done. If there is a chance to improve the foundation of the team, every opportunity should be explored.

2. The specific idea presented here is to acquire the 25 year old Maikel Franco, who has over 1500 ML AB’s in his career. His arrival would be to help the ML club now and in the future, in theory helping the big league club win more games now.

3. There isn’t a single fan that’s wants the rebuild to last any longer than it needs to. Your reading compression skills may lead you to that conclusion, but no one in this thread, or anywhere else wants this team to lose in the long term. The sooner you understand that, the quicker you’ll actually understand what is being discussing.

Franco hasn't exactly torn it up in the majors yet. Don't think it would cost a ton and don't think Phillies would give up on him yet (one more to figure it out and if not, do the Phillies sign one of Machado/Arenado)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 12:05 AM)
I hope we're not at the point where we want to trade the guys we got for the next WS team for other prospects. This madness has to stop. You take the guys we got and for better or worse they are the core of our next WS team. The trading is done unless you want to trade Avi and Abreu which I think is dumb. But the young guys we got in trades?? Geez we can't be talking about trading them. This is madness. At some point soon we need to win again. How many years in a row do you want to go sub .500?? 20-30 years in a perpetual rebuild?

This thread was created to talk about buy low candidates. Not to trade the top prospects and abandon what they've been working toward. No one has mentioned trading the top prospects, and I would doubt there's anyone on this board that thinks that way. However, with the way you've been degrading the rebuild one would think you'd be all for trading away those top prospects to win now.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 12:22 AM)
Buy low FA candidates:

C Rene Rivera (same)

He was also hurt in 2015 which limited his innings.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)

I looked up his stats. How can a guy hit .230 without striking out all the time?

I'm not saying that in jest. Franco hits for good power and only strikes out 17% of

the time. Has he just been unlucky?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 12:05 AM)

Please explain why you purposely ignored the bolded in your response to TheFutureIsNear.

It's pretty clear you ignored that part and used the idea as an excuse to complain, again. The OP suggested NOT trading top pitching prospects to acquire the young 22 year old 3B in Franco.

You do realize the Sox traded Gio Gonzalez not once but twice to bolster their hitting, right? Once for Thome and a second time for Swisher. Sometimes teams trade from a strength to bolster a weakness.

Call the whaaaambulance.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
Please explain why you purposely ignored the bolded in your response to TheFutureIsNear.

It's pretty clear you ignored that part and used the idea as an excuse to complain, again. The OP suggested NOT trading top pitching prospects to acquire the young 22 year old 3B in Franco.

You do realize the Sox traded Gio Gonzalez not once but twice to bolster their hitting, right? Once for Thome and a second time for Swisher. Sometimes teams trade from a strength to bolster a weakness.

Call the whaaaambulance.

Greg can't name a single player in the minor leagues and therefore views them all on the same level. To him there is 0 difference between say Kopech and Puckett because both were traded for from a "despicable tanking team"

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
Of this list though, Clay Buchholz, Jamie Garcia, and Drew Storen are my 3 most wanted of the buy-low guys. McGee or Minor would be wise just to use as trade fodder in July.

If Clay Buchholz is back up to 92-95, he might be worth a shot. He was barely hitting 90 this year. He's done if that's all he does.

Jaime Garcia put up a 2.1 WAR. He's not much of a buy low. He'll probably get like a 2/$26 deal or something along those lines.

Drew Storen had Tommy John surgery 2 weeks ago. He's not going to pitch at all in 2018.

Obviously pitching will be who you're looking at with these type of signing IMO...maybe?

Neftali Feliz—might seem like he'd be worth a look and good bounce back candidate

Boone Logan— not sure if he's a FA or has a club option

Man I went through the FA list and none stuck out beyond what's mentioned. I think my best hope for a real pick me up could be rule 5, which could be very interesting this year.

That said. I like the options mentioned for C. I really don't see a Position player i'd care for. Fine with going hunting for people like Willy Garcia and Liriano again (and Asche).

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
Man I went through the FA list and none stuck out beyond what's mentioned. I think my best hope for a real pick me up could be rule 5, which could be very interesting this year.

That said. I like the options mentioned for C. I really don't see a Position player i'd care for. Fine with going hunting for people like Willy Garcia and Liriano again (and Asche).

It will be a sad day when Cody Asche leaves the organization.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Greg can't name a single player in the minor leagues and therefore views them all on the same level. To him there is 0 difference between say Kopech and Puckett because both were traded for from a "despicable tanking team"

You hit the nail on the head. Well said Jenksy. :cheers

To be honest, I'm not really all that interested in Franco because I do believe the Sox already have their future 3B in Jake Burger and am willing to wait and see how he develops. It's the idea behind the proposed trade that I like and appreciate. Very well thought-out post and thread by TheFutureIsNear.

I do have to correct myself in that Franco is 25, not 22 so my bad on that. :)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
It will be a sad day when Cody Asche leaves the organization.

Do not blaspheme, you take that back wite. Asche is a Sox legend. Don't believe me? Look at the header. That is one handsome White Sox dude.

Edited by BlackSox13

MLBTR just came out with their Offseason Outlook for the White Sox. They mention some interesting potential free agent signings being Clay Buchholz, Jeremy Hellickson, Francisco Liriano, Wade Miley, Hector Santiago, and Chris Tillman.

They also mention some possible trades where we could take on the player and their large contract in exchange for also taking a prospect. The list of these guys was Matt Kemp, Nick Markakis, Yasmany Tomas, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Wei-Yin Chen. I like the idea of taking advantage of our low payroll as a way to get more prospects because unless we have some successful sign-and-flips, the non-draft additions to our farm system are basically done.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 03:45 PM)
MLBTR just came out with their Offseason Outlook for the White Sox. They mention some interesting potential free agent signings being Clay Buchholz, Jeremy Hellickson, Francisco Liriano, Wade Miley, Hector Santiago, and Chris Tillman.

They also mention some possible trades where we could take on the player and their large contract in exchange for also taking a prospect. The list of these guys was Matt Kemp, Nick Markakis, Yasmany Tomas, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Wei-Yin Chen. I like the idea of taking advantage of our low payroll as a way to get more prospects because unless we have some successful sign-and-flips, the non-draft additions to our farm system are basically done.

The second paragraph I'd be intrigued by. But we'd have to get a guy we feel is better than the player that could get tryouts in the DH position.

Chen is intertesting because he could fill one of the rotation spots and could have a bounce back year where we could potentially flip him. He's also on the Marlins and we know how much they need to shed salary, so I don't think it would be hard to get him. The downside is that he is signed through 2020 and the last two years are pretty expensive, so if we can't trade him we might be on the hook for that.

I like Tomas because he is still young, would deepen the Cuban connection, and the D-Backs are in a position to content next year but need more financial flexibility, so they may be more willing than most to give up a prospect to clear room. Ellsbury or Markakis (assuming we trade Avi) could be interesting options to hold down spots on the big league club until Robert and Jimenez are ready.