Law/Legal Thread

pettie4sox

Not sure if there is a thread on this but essentially I'm in a world of hurt.

My roommate is the guy from this article.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131211/up...town-police-say

I need to go visit him as he's currently in cook country lock up but for whatever reason he only has one visiting day and that's tomorrow and per the site, you need to be approved for a visit prior (which they stated takes 3 days).

I need to find a new roommate and move his stuff out but I'm not sure what legal issues are remaining. I am currently the only guy on the lease and I rented out my second room as a psuedo rental agreement.

I'm sure he's going away for this as he had priors. I didn't do a background check on him which was an egregious mistake on my part but it is what it is.

Anyone with any ideas please reply.

Thanks.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Considering he needs to come up with $30,000 to get out, you probably won't be seeing him. Call a family member and have them gets his belongings.

His family disowned him. I was going to try to visit him to see what he wanted done but I run the risk he will refuse to see me. I was just thinking of calling the Salvation army and letting them go buck wild.

With his priors, is it safe to say he's going to the slammer?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
His family disowned him. I was going to try to visit him to see what he wanted done but I run the risk he will refuse to see me. I was just thinking of calling the Salvation army and letting them go buck wild.

With his priors, is it safe to say he's going to the slammer?

I'd think you cannot simply give away his property, unless he abandons it by choice (as in, written word, signed by him or his legal representative). That could get you into trouble.

If he is in default of his rental agreement with you, you essentially have to go through a legal process of kicking him out. Once that is done, you'd be able to give some period for his belongings to be moved. Then after that, you could do what you want to. But that process could take some time. Like, a long time. For that matter, do you even have a rentla agreement with him in writing?

Can you find a friend? Anyone he knows? Who could take his stuff?

You could also talk with your landlord (if you don't own the place), they may have some ideas.

Sorry you are in this position.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
I'd think you cannot simply give away his property, unless he abandons it by choice (as in, written word, signed by him or his legal representative). That could get you into trouble.

If he is in default of his rental agreement with you, you essentially have to go through a legal process of kicking him out. Once that is done, you'd be able to give some period for his belongings to be moved. Then after that, you could do what you want to. But that process could take some time. Like, a long time. For that matter, do you even have a rentla agreement with him in writing?

Can you find a friend? Anyone he knows? Who could take his stuff?

You could also talk with your landlord (if you don't own the place), they may have some ideas.

Sorry you are in this position.

I do have one but it's just more for saying that we have one. It has basics like when rent is due and such. I didn't put clauses in there to protect myself from an incident like this. My landlord knows he's there but he's not on the lease. That's why I'm thinking that he really doesn't have protection?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
I do have one but it's just more for saying that we have one. It has basics like when rent is due and such. I didn't put clauses in there to protect myself from an incident like this. My landlord knows he's there but he's not on the lease. That's why I'm thinking that he really doesn't have protection?

May not have certain types of protection, but that is not the same as releasing control of his property to you by being there. I'd be very careful just discarding his stuff. That's all I'm saying.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
May not have certain types of protection, but that is not the same as releasing control of his property to you by being there. I'd be very careful just discarding his stuff. That's all I'm saying.

This sucks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
In Chicago its all about who is on the lease with the landlord. If he's not on there, then you have all responsibility for items in the unit and the rent.

Responsibility is not the same as ownership. Even if you are responsible for getting it out when you leave, that doesn't mean you can take possesion of it, give it away, or sell it, if it does not belong to you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
I could be wrong, but I think you have to give him reasonable time, like 30 days, to get his stuff. I think if you just gave it away now, or tossed it before that, you might be on the hook for the value.

Yeah, ultimately there are rules for abandonment. But it's going to be a process to make sure he can prove that dude relinquished ownership.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
Now we're getting somewhere. Now, how to get a hold of his public defender?

call the public defender's office and tell them what's going on and that you'd like to speak with someone in the office that can get your question to the guy. It doesn't have to be an attorney (but that would be nice). Be polite and understand that the attorneys are busy and might only see/talk to this guy once every few weeks.

http://www.cookcountygov.com/portal/server...w_office_of/260

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
He doesn't have a public defender assigned yet. Why do they make it so difficult to see people? Our tax dollars at work.

Because it takes man power to ensure safe movement of prisoners and adequate oversight of visitors.

In any event, find out when the next court date is set (clerk's office), then call the PD a week before. I'm guessing they put all new cases through review and are then assigned.

So I visited my jail bird roommate on Tuesday. His court date was Wednesday. He doesn't know what's going to happen at this point but he told me to rent the room out because there is a high probability he'll be incarcerated. So he pretty much said he has no one to take his stuff. However my place is really small. He's pretty much got me backed into a corner because he is expecting me to store his stuff until he gets out.

Should I pack his stuff up and hold it, get a new roommate, and then start the whole eviction process so I can officially get rid of his stuff?

Edited by pettie4sox

What kind of stuff are we talking about? If it is big furniture you dont like or dont need Id just get rid of it. Anything that might be valuable and doesnt take up a lot of space (ie laptop) I might hang on to for him because he will have nothing when he gets out of jail. Whats the likelihood of you even still living there when he gets out? Do you plan on being friends with him or talking to him when he does?

He really doesn't have a lot of stuff. He has two mattresses, a couple of huge plastic totes, a tv stand, a tv, and a lamp.

I really don't plan on seeing this guy ever again. My beef is he still has the keys to this place so when he is released, he could pretty much come to the place. I am thinking of talking to my landlord about changing the locks but I probably should hold until January since he's technically paid until then. My lease is up in September and I'm most likely moving.