2014 ♪♫ Thread

Swingandalongonetoleft

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
Anyone in town that likes fun things should check out diarrhea planet on Sunday at Lincoln hall.

I forgot. Thanks for throwing em out there, I like it. Going to grab their music off band camp now. Just what I've been looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

My god, the amount of racism towards Macklemore and Ryan Lewis right now because they won a few rap categories last night at the Grammy's is ridiculous. So many ignorant people who want to keep music segregated. I guess I missed the large uproar last night on Twitter with Darius Rucker won a country music award, huh?

I think the Grammys were probably right about Daft Punk being #1. The only album arguably better is Yeezus. They should probably stop doing Rap awards, I guess originally Macklemore wasnt even going to be considered rap, and was going to be pop.

Even the Jay Z selection is nonsense.

I think that Yeezus really is underrated. Its basically Random Access Memories getting hit with a sledge hammer. Its just so remarkably complex.

In other news Google Play has some great albums for $1.99 today. Vol 2 Hard Knock Life, College Drop Out, etc. Not sure how much they are charging for Stankonia because I already bought it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
My god, the amount of racism towards Macklemore and Ryan Lewis right now because they won a few rap categories last night at the Grammy's is ridiculous.

The guy cleaned house in rap categories and nobody in the rap world would ever consider him to be among the top in that genre. He should have been honored that he was even nominated. But winning all of those awards? Lame.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
The guy cleaned house in rap categories and nobody in the rap world would ever consider him to be among the top in that genre. He should have been honored that he was even nominated. But winning all of those awards? Lame.

Even Macklemore wrote an apology to Kendrick.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1721204/m...t-grammys.jhtml

Lets be honest, Grammy Awards are for who sells the most to 14 year old girls.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)

I didn't hear a better CD nomination than his The Heist. The Heist is a fantastic rap album.

Him winning best song for Thift Shop was simply based on the popularity of the song. It's a good, but not great song, but my god was it huge in 2013.

The performance thing I really have no opinion on because I have no idea what performance they are even judging. Do they say? (I didn't see the awards show).

But him winning the best album is completely justified. Every single year someone will complain about who wins a ton of awards, but it just sucks that people are bringing race in to it this time. Either saying he only won because he is white, or saying he should never win because he is white. Even people trying to say he isn't even a rapper, he is a pop artist, which is another way of saying he looks too white to be a rapper.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
Even Macklemore wrote an apology to Kendrick.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1721204/m...t-grammys.jhtml

Lets be honest, Grammy Awards are for who sells the most to 14 year old girls.

He had to. He is going to have to apologize for every rap award he wins. He is in a lose-lose situation every time he is nominated.

It's the same reason that when he won at the last awards show (VMAs maybe?), his entire acceptance video was about "the injustices surrounding Trayvon Martin". He has to win back the rap community every time he pisses them off by winning something.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
I dunno, people don't really level that criticism at Eminem, do they?

Nah, not so much. Eminem pretty much has a pass because of where he grew up. Mac Miller is kind of in between because he tries to look the part of a gangster and a rapper, but he doesn't have the background that Em has, so it's really kind of a grey area for Mac.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
Nah, not so much. Eminem pretty much has a pass because of where he grew up. Mac Miller is kind of in between because he tries to look the part of a gangster and a rapper, but he doesn't have the background that Em has, so it's really kind of a grey area for Mac.

lol

Eminem wasnt given a pass at all. When he first came out, he was attacked as another "Vanilla Ice" or "Snow". The reason he gets respect is because hes a proven battle rapper was basically Dr Dres attack dog for a good 5 years.

Even worse, people blamed him for Snoop/Dre allegedly not being friends. That of course all changed when 2001 dropped and Eminem killed Dre on his own s*** "Whats the Difference."

I can still remember the day I heard that album, which hilariously lost to "The Marshall Mathers LP" for the Grammy.

I doubt even Eminem thinks his album is better than 2001.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
I dunno, people don't really level that criticism at Eminem, do they?

When you're brought up by Dre I don't think anyone in the rap community is going to complain.

BTW, where was the "fauxrage" over Beyonce acting like a stripper with a thong on?

article-2546569-1AFEA83500000578-485_634

I mean, I get it, Miley Cyrus is too in your face about stuff, but I really didn't see much difference in the two performances. Both were overly sexual and nearly inappropriate (get off my lawn!) for an awards show. Everyone praised Beyonce (and Jay-Z to the point of nausea), but people were all over Miley Cyrus. Wonder why. I've seen a couple stories on it. But not the mass media circus like before.

Also, Willie Nelson needs to hang it up. Madonna too. Both were beyond terrible.

Edited by Jenksismybitch