Attendance 2015

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNChiSox/statu...931903903096832

Sox are 29th in total attendance (lol 5 games) and 27th in average. The average is a bit scary because the 5 games should only greatly increase that due to one of those games being opening day.

Yes but you are also using April games for the other 4, traditionally some of the least attended affairs. Sox attendance will be better than last even if they lose the rest of the games on the schedule.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)
https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNChiSox/statu...931903903096832

Sox are 29th in total attendance (lol 5 games) and 27th in average. The average is a bit scary because the 5 games should only greatly increase that due to one of those games being opening day.

Not concerned yet, but this team better start winning to get more of a buzz from the fans. Today's attendance makes sense given the awful weather.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 07:09 PM)
The important question for me is where are they versus the same point last year.

exactly, they should use the attendance on a monthly for each yr. see how it stacks up against those totals.

Check out the first 2-3 weeks of April, 2014.

The average for the three worst weekday games was around 11,000.

This year, 13,750ish...so they're roughly 20-25% better than their season ticket base last year...just a rough estimate.

What's the number today with absolutely abysmal weather?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

The White Sox should settle in somewhere between 23rd to 26th after this weekend's series against KC...unless the weather is still brutal.

No point to look at attendance until the end of May.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)
Still well over 14,000 today...announced.

We can confidently say attendance will be up 15-25% this year unless they are out of the race by the 54 game mark...the key as always, the numbers between Memorial and Labor Day.

and even then, they have exciting players to watch, many will come out to watch Jose A and if Avi start to hit hard.... the same.

the same with the pitchers,

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 09:32 PM)
You should also consider the other teams in this city are in the playoffs.

Monday the Bulls, last night the Hawks.

It'd be a hard sell to sit in

the yr after the super bowl, me and friends sat in that freezing cold wx with the wind blowing watching the bears, and drinking frozen beer. but those were great memories.

I think the casual fan base, which makes up about 90% or more of any team's fan base out there, is so fickle and sheep-like that it takes either a World Series appearance or an exciting deep playoff run to wake them up. Then the next year you might see an uptick in attendance. Nothing in the current season will dictate attendance. The Sox could go on a 20 game win streak, Sale could pitch 3 No Nos in a row, and Rodon could follow in his footsteps and become unhittable, and it still wouldn't make a difference in attendance. The average attendance trend is going downward and I don't expect that to change this season. I think we'll average 18,000 this year.

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
I think the casual fan base, which makes up about 90% or more of any team's fan base out there, is so fickle and sheep-like that it takes either a World Series appearance or an exciting deep playoff run to wake them up. Then the next year you might see an uptick in attendance. Nothing in the current season will dictate attendance. The Sox could go on a 20 game win streak, Sale could pitch 3 No Nos in a row, and Rodon could follow in his footsteps and become unhittable, and it still wouldn't make a difference in attendance. The average attendance trend is going downward and I don't expect that to change this season. I think we'll average 18,000 this year.

No chance for only an average of 18k. Once school gets out and it finally warms up we should see 30k quite often

QUOTE (lord chas @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 11:27 PM)
No chance for only an average of 18k. Once school gets out and it finally warms up we should see 30k quite often

it will be great, but i would be happy for the low 20 k's. i take the improvement in small dosage.

The Indians announcer (radio, Tom Hamilton) was still going on about the "sterile" environment and how it's one of the most boring stadiums built during that time period.

Hard to get away from the perception at this point...even with all the improvements, roof, greenery, etc. Even the way he said renovations or improvements, it was kind of tongue in cheek, like he wasn't that impressed.

Well, it's hard to argue that Jacobs Field/Progressive isn't a much better stadium, and that's where he watches 81 games per year (with the dismal crowds notwithstanding.)

And it's also hard to find a worse stadium from that late 80's to late 90's period of stadium construction.

If so, what is it? Coors Field?

Edited by caulfield12

I use to travel to see the White Sox play a road series every year. The Cleveland stadium was the biggest disappointment. Other than the fact that the stadium is in the downtown area, there was nothing about it that I liked. The Cell is much nicer in my opinion. The Indians play in a downtown stadium in a one team market and they don't draw. That Indians announcer has nothing to brag about.

Another way to look at this is the Cubs are averaging about 2,000 less fans per game versus last year's avg. The Sox are averaging about 2,000 more. So 2,000 Cub fans have seen the light and been converted. Hallelujah!!!

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
Another way to look at this is the Cubs are averaging about 2,000 less fans per game versus last year's avg. The Sox are averaging about 2,000 more. So 2,000 Cub fans have seen the light and been converted. Hallelujah!!!

The cubs have 2,000 less seats in their ballpark right now than they did last year.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)

That's actually quite shocking about the Cubs given the increased expectations, good start, and hype surrounding the young guys on the big league club.