The Final 66 Games - A Breakdown

flavum

The 1983 White Sox went 50-16 the final 66 games to win 99 games. Obviously, this team will not be doing that, but they could go 39-27 for 85 wins.

Here's what the Sox have left, and what they'll need to do for 85 wins:

(9) KC 5-4

(7) Bos 4-3

(7) Det 4-3

(7) LAA 4-3

(7) NY 4-3

(7) Sea 4-3

(6) Cle 4-2

(6) Min 4-2

(4) Oak 2-2

(3) TB 2-1

(3) Cubs 2-1

Is it a long shot? Yes. Is it possible with a good pitching staff and an improved offense? Sure, why not.

Now...about Laroche...

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
The 1983 White Sox went 50-16 the final 66 games to win 99 games. Obviously, this team will not be doing that, but they could go 39-27 for 85 wins.

(9) KC 5-4

(7) Bos 4-3

(7) Det 4-3

(7) LAA 4-3

(7) NY 4-3

(7) Sea 4-3

(6) Cle 4-2

(6) Min 4-2

(4) Oak 2-2

(3) TB 2-1

(3) Cubs 2-1

Is it a long shot? Yes. Is it possible with a good pitching staff and an improved offense? Sure, why not.

Now...about Laroche...

great breakdown.

about LaRoche...feels kind of like the Dunn situation in that the Sox are just going to let him work himself out of it or not work himself out of it. They don't even seem willing to move him down in the lineup or spell him with players like Schuck (who ran out a base hit today showing why speed is always a plus). Same with Flowers. Not sure why when they obviously got fed up with the play and production at 3B. Maybe it's the investment they made?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
great breakdown.

about LaRoche...feels kind of like the Dunn situation in that the Sox are just going to let him work himself out of it or not work himself out of it. They don't even seem willing to move him down in the lineup or spell him with players like Schuck (who ran out a base hit today showing why speed is always a plus). Same with Flowers. Not sure why when they obviously got fed up with the play and production at 3B. Maybe it's the investment they made?

That one's obvious, Soto can't physically catch everyday and Brantly/K.Smith/Nieto aren't the answers, either.

We honestly should have just kept Viciedo (to face LHP) and never signed Beckham/Bonifacio (relying on the combination of Saladino, Johnson and Sanchez for 3B/2B and back-up/utility).

Of course, there was uncertainty about Saladino's return from TJ and being ready physically at the beginning of the season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
That one's obvious, Soto can't physically catch everyday and Brantly/K.Smith/Nieto aren't the answers, either.

We honestly should have just kept Viciedo (to face LHP) and never signed Beckham/Bonifacio (relying on the combination of Saladino, Johnson and Sanchez for 3B/2B and back-up/utility).

Of course, there was uncertainty about Saladino's return from TJ and being ready physically at the beginning of the season.

But Viciedo was just so bad. If he wasn't he'd be playing for someone in North America right now. As for Flowers, I just think you need to give more ABs to Soto. Especially coming off a night game. Unless there's some sort of paternal attachment with Rodon, I don't see why a guy who caught last night wasn't given a break today. Flowers isn't going to get any better getting fewer ABs, but we will do less damage.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
But Viciedo was just so bad. If he wasn't he'd be playing for someone in North America right now. As for Flowers, I just think you need to give more ABs to Soto. Especially coming off a night game. Unless there's some sort of paternal attachment with Rodon, I don't see why a guy who caught last night wasn't given a break today. Flowers isn't going to get any better getting fewer ABs, but we will do less damage.

For the record, Viciedo is in AAA for the Oakland organization right now

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:37 PM)

well it appears has many, at least for this cle series has came out of the hitting slump. i would move adam laroche to #8 in the order. until he starts to hit.

but i stilll hope the sox still trades shark.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)

Fine

Shouldn't detract from what the Sox need to do this week, nor cause the Sox to engage in any more Williams inane hero-worship.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)

(9) KC 5-4

(7) Bos 4-3

(7) Det 4-3

(7) LAA 4-3

(7) NY 4-3

(7) Sea 4-3

(6) Cle 4-2

(6) Min 4-2

(4) Oak 2-2

(3) TB 2-1

(3) Cubs 2-1

Now...about Laroche...

Never say never. We are going on a 20 game winning streak.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:19 PM)

(9) KC 5-4

(7) Bos 4-3

(7) Det 4-3

(7) LAA 4-3

(7) NY 4-3

(7) Sea 4-3

(6) Cle 4-2

(6) Min 4-2

(4) Oak 2-2

(3) TB 2-1

(3) Cubs 2-1

Now...about Laroche...

nice work

adam l.... buy him out in the offseason.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 10:43 PM)
Well we are free to release him, but we have to pay him every cent that he would make if he were playing for us

can they send him down to the minors as a minor assignment. but first need to be dfa??? i don't know the rules on that.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
You have them winning or tying every series from here on in. That's a tall order.

It's an average. Maybe they go 3-4 against the Angels, but go 3-1 or sweep the A's.

Just pointing out the schedule they have left is doable if they play good baseball.

At this point, there's no harm in having some hope. But if they only split with Boston, I'd probably hope for Samardzija to be traded. Until then, hope the win train keeps going, and the Twins keep losing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:46 PM)
can they send him down to the minors as a minor assignment. but first need to be dfa??? i don't know the rules on that.

There is zero possibility he gets sent to the minors. We're also not releasing him. The only way his salary would get cleared at all would be to trade him or if he retires. And no one is trading for him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
It's an average. Maybe they go 3-4 against the Angels, but go 3-1 or sweep the A's.

Just pointing out the schedule they have left is doable if they play good baseball.

At this point, there's no harm in having some hope. But if they only split with Boston, I'd probably hope for Samardzija to be traded. Until then, hope the win train keeps going, and the Twins keep losing.

Right and it underscores how difficult the run will be after digging such a hole. If a few of those 4-3 series results flip to 3-4 it's all over.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 10:57 PM)
There is zero possibility he gets sent to the minors. We're also not releasing him. The only way his salary would get cleared at all would be to trade him or if he retires. And no one is trading for him.

yeah i agree, i had a crazy idea of trying to help decide to retire. other than that, he is a sox until his contract ends.

Regarding LaRoche, I think we need to start playing him at 1B more frequently to see if that can help him get going. Worst case scenario it improves the defense a bit. And we definitely need to start platooning him. I don't care if that's a shot to his ego, but he should not be facing LHP under a normal circumstance.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 12:41 AM)
Regarding LaRoche, I think we need to start playing him at 1B more frequently to see if that can help him get going. Worst case scenario it improves the defense a bit. And we definitely need to start platooning him. I don't care if that's a shot to his ego, but he should not be facing LHP under a normal circumstance.

nice idea. can't hurt.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 06:41 PM)

I've heard this mentioned a few times, and I find it frustrating. If he has that big of an issue with sitting vs. LHP, then he shouldn't have been signed in the first place. The team has a better chance to win ball games with him on the bench vs. lefties, if he can't accept that, especially at this point in his career, then buh-bye.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:52 AM)
I've heard this mentioned a few times, and I find it frustrating. If he has that big of an issue with sitting vs. LHP, then he shouldn't have been signed in the first place. The team has a better chance to win ball games with him on the bench vs. lefties, if he can't accept that, especially at this point in his career, then buh-bye.

if the sox are stuck and he is a problem. he is an employee play him to help the teams win.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 06:41 PM)

And as far as anyone knows the ego thing is purely conjecture on the fan's part.