Golfing Thread

As someone who is really taking golf seriously for the first time in my life, I tought a thread like this would be sweet.

I finally received the best golf tip ever from a buddy last year, and it has completely eradicated my debilitating slice. So much so that I've been making pars and having birdie attempts with regularity. This, this is a great turn of events.

Anyway, I found a sweet Android app (Golfshot GPS), that for $29.99 really does work as well as a $300 SkyCaddy. Anyone in the West Suburbs who wants to play a round, the Village Links of Glen Ellyn has $8 twilight golf, which is by far the cheapest and best value I've found in Chicagoland.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know said tip, because Ive got that awful slice with my driver. Iron shots are pretty good actually, but man I lose 50+ yards every time I hit a driver just from lack of top spin, not to mention the farther distance to the right.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)
I would like to know said tip, because Ive got that awful slice with my driver. Iron shots are pretty good actually, but man I lose 50+ yards every time I hit a driver just from lack of top spin, not to mention the farther distance to the right.

Grab your driver. This tip actually helps all shots straighten out.

In your normal position as if a ball is on the tee, release your trailing arm and let it fall naturally to your side. If it comes back to your body, you're doing it wrong.

Raise your lead shoulder until your right hand (in a right handed swing) naturally falls straight back (from the ball)and not towards your body. Once you do that, keep your shoulder in said position and let it rip.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Steve, I'm looking to try to hammer out this tip. When I try to follow exactly what you said, it seems awkward. I'm just raising my shoulder only? Tilting my body with it?

I'm with Hurt, I have a terrible slice on every drive, irons are usually fine. I have to line up at about a 45 degree angle off the tee, and I can nail the middle of the fairway.

Also got my own set of clubs for xmas this year. Nothing fancy, just a good starter set. I don't need great equipment, I'm just a rec golfer and just really starting to get into it a bit more. But it's still cool to not use my Dad's old school ones.

You guys ever play Top Golf? It's really fun if you haven't. And Steve it's our your way.

In other news, interesting news at Augusta this morning with the Tiger Woods penalty etc.

Edited by IlliniKrush

If you are slicing you are probably hitting across the ball. Bringing the club up too steeply then yanking it across the ball with the face open.

Sometimes if you just stand a little further from the ball and bend a bit more at the waist you can make this impossible.

I'm about a 12 and have gone through a slice phase, a duck hook phase, a "now I'm hitting the ball 40 yards further" phase etc. golf is awesome.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 13, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
Bump.

Steve, I'm looking to try to hammer out this tip. When I try to follow exactly what you said, it seems awkward. I'm just raising my shoulder only? Tilting my body with it?

I'm with Hurt, I have a terrible slice on every drive, irons are usually fine. I have to line up at about a 45 degree angle off the tee, and I can nail the middle of the fairway.

Also got my own set of clubs for xmas this year. Nothing fancy, just a good starter set. I don't need great equipment, I'm just a rec golfer and just really starting to get into it a bit more. But it's still cool to not use my Dad's old school ones.

You guys ever play Top Golf? It's really fun if you haven't. And Steve it's our your way.

In other news, interesting news at Augusta this morning with the Tiger Woods penalty etc.

I've had this problem forever. I've become really good at hitting the fairway with this trick though haha

That was such a great tournament to watch. Had the father-in-law and sister-in-law's boyfriend over to watch masters all day Saturday. Hooked the pc to the tv and stereo and watched from 11-1 - hit the bar watched the rest of the day.

Yesterday was good for recovery.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
For anyone in the area, I'd recommend Justin Bentley with Golftec Des Plaines. I've been working with him for about 2.5 years now and he has completely changed my game in every way.

What does something like this run, cost-wise?

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
Had a par the other day. Felt like I won the Masters.

Ha!

I haven't been able to get out this year. The two days planned wound up having absolutely awful weather, and I've had a lot of family s*** and work s*** taking up my time. That said, when I was hitting it a lot last year I was nailing birdies and pars and they are absolutely majestic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
Ha!

I haven't been able to get out this year. The two days planned wound up having absolutely awful weather, and I've had a lot of family s*** and work s*** taking up my time. That said, when I was hitting it a lot last year I was nailing birdies and pars and they are absolutely majestic.

It was a par 3, but even still, I don't get pars much at all.

I'm usually getting 6's and 7's on holes, which while not great, isn't terrible IMO. If I could not 3 putt almost everything, I'd be in better shape. I have zero clue how to judge hitting long putts, just to try for a 2 putt.

Well that and me aiming at more than a 45 degree angle to the left off the tee so my crazy slice finds the fairway.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
It was a par 3, but even still, I don't get pars much at all.

I'm usually getting 6's and 7's on holes, which while not great, isn't terrible IMO. If I could not 3 putt almost everything, I'd be in better shape. I have zero clue how to judge hitting long putts, just to try for a 2 putt.

Well that and me aiming at more than a 45 degree angle to the left off the tee so my crazy slice finds the fairway.

Tee shot your main issue? Is it always a slice?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
Tee shot your main issue? Is it always a slice?

Yeah, nothing slices except my drive. And I'm talking severe, and every single time. I line up so far left and then immediately it slices and starts back and I can usually find the fairway. In addition to looking ridiculous, I know I'm losing a ton of distance.

Eventually I will try to get a lesson or two to see if there's something easy to fix.