4/13 Games

caulfield12

http://www.milb.com/gameday/index.jsp?gid=...chraaa_noraaa_1

Ozzie Martinez broke his 0 for 20 streak. Yay!

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...cmcafa_wswafa_1

Rienzo off to a good start so far here, 5 K's through 3 IP

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...kanafx_lexafx_1

Snodgress starting, off to a better one this time around it looks

Where do they get these names, Dusty Harvard, Rangel Ravelo and Martin Medina?

It's really early to call for a promotion, but I don't understand why Rienzo is in Winston-Salem in the first place. He had a perfectly fine season there last year. I know the Barons have good prospects in the rotation, but Bayne certainly isn't better than Rienzo. Maybe they were hoping one of the Barons' SP prospects would start well and move up shortly, but it seems kind of odd.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
Maybe they just want him there for the first month and get a bit more confidence...since that's the biggest jump for a pitcher.

Who knows?

Other than Molina, it's not like there were any top prospects blocking his path, as you mentioned.

Castro, Quintana and Hernandez are all good prospects. Probably only Castro rates higher than Rienzo, but the point is the same. The entire reason I'd like to see Rienzo in AA now is because it is the biggest jump. I'm not going to get worked up about a guy in AA instead of AAA, but high-A to AA is a difficult adjustment that takes time that he's not getting. It's really not that big of a deal long term, I just don't understand why he needed to repeat high-A after a good year there.

Jared Mitchell 3/4, 1 RBI, 2B

Kevan Smith 2/5, Pangilan with his first homer, Ravelo 2/5 with this 5th double already, Ravelo and Pagilanan both over 400

Mr. Sanchez with yet another walk (the anti-Ozzie Guillen)

Maybe the Sox just feel pretty comfortable with their pitching depth in the upper minors and are determined not to rush Rienzo?

They've always shown a willingness to jump pitchers quickly through the system if they are pitching in dominant fashion, like Hudson or Brandon McCarthy in the past. Rienzo's always been more of an unpolished project that was expected to jump one level at a time.

It also depends on what their plan is for Gavin Floyd...if KW's planning to exercise his option for 2013, then theoretically there's only one open spot in the rotation for about 5-7 different pitchers.

We also don't know what will happen with Hector Santiago, he could easily go the Chris Sale route.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
Castro, Quintana and Hernandez are all good prospects. Probably only Castro rates higher than Rienzo, but the point is the same. The entire reason I'd like to see Rienzo in AA now is because it is the biggest jump. I'm not going to get worked up about a guy in AA instead of AAA, but high-A to AA is a difficult adjustment that takes time that he's not getting. It's really not that big of a deal long term, I just don't understand why he needed to repeat high-A after a good year there.

Quintana, Hernandez and Molina are all younger than him as well, for what that's worth. I figured he'd be up here too.