AAP: Francellis Montas

Screen-shot-2014-05-28-at-3.23.59-PM.png

Francellis Montas, RHP

Born 3/21/1993

6'2'', 185

Throws: R

Bats: R

OVERVIEW/SCOUTING REPORT

Francellis "Frank" Montas has good height and a sturdy frame. His raw arm strength is exceptional, which allows him to pump his fastball into the mid to upper 90's consistently. Montas has excellent arm speed from an overhand delivery, creating a potential plus plus fastball. Of his secondary offerings, his slider has jumped to the forefront, it sits between 84-88 MPH and has significant bite, grading it close to plus. Montas also throws a change-up between 85-86 MPH. He doesn't have a great feel for it, but he has refined it enough to at least be a show-me pitch, which considering his plus fastball-slider combo, may be enough to be effective.

SIGN/DRAFT

Montas was signed by the Boston Red Sox as an international free agent on December 14th, 2009. He was then acquired by the White Sox in exchange for Jake Peavy on July 3rd, 2013.

MINORS

After putting up some terrible numbers in his first two years in the Dominican Summer League, he finally broke through in 2012 in Rookie Ball state side, posting a 3.65 ERA and 45 strikeouts in 44.1 innings pitched. In 2013 he was promoted to Low-A and the strikeouts increased but so did he ERA. Between Low-A Greenville and Low-A Kannapolis, Montas had a 5.43 ERA with 127 strikeouts over 111 innings pitched. However, after missing the first month of 2014 due to torn meniscus, began the season in High-A ball with Winston-Salem and dominated, posting a 1.76 ERA with 49 strikeouts over 51 innings pitched. Something obviously clicked from 2013 to 2014 and the White Sox are hoping it is here to stay.

STATS/REFERENCES

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=593423

https://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/...ers/cards/89571

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/prospect-watch-power-arms/

Edited by southside hitman

• 8 months later...
QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
Frank Montas "just missed" Keith Law's 2015 top 100 prospect in baseball. Law said that Montas has a 80 grade fastball (a perfect score on a 20-80 scouting scale) and has the potential to be a number 1 starter.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/...sed-top-100-mlb

That's not reason enough to put him in the top 100? Ok Keith

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
That's not reason enough to put him in the top 100? Ok Keith

Nah, I agree with Law on that one. An absolute ton would have to break right for Montas to be a #1 starter, but it's possible. He's still a very good prospect who will likely pitch in the majors within a year or two, but his changeup would have to turn into more than a show-me pitch, his slider would need to be a lot more consistent, and his command would have to improve too. It's not impossible, but I think it's more likely that, come 2018 or 2019, he's the White Sox closer.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 09:27 PM)
Thanks for posting, good quotes from Montas and Coop. As for Levine, good to see him catching on to what most Sox fans already know. ;)

Good to see him taking his weight "issues" seriously...as well. That can only help his stamina, endurance and fielding ability.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 11:11 PM)
Good to see him taking his weight "issues" seriously...as well. That can only help his stamina, endurance and fielding ability.

Yes it is. I got a laugh out of his Bartolo Colon comment. :lol:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Montas does in 2015.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 11:11 PM)

Seeing a couple pictures from ST, he is definitely slimmed down from late last year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
Not sure if this was posted anywhere else. Throwing smoke out there.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/09/lev...0-on-radar-gun/

If they are still working on simple mechanical things, that probably means he is a decent ways from Chicago... and I am OK with that. Let the conditioning and the mechanics get fixed, and then let him earn it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 08:02 AM)
Hit 101 in the Futures Game.

Pretty solid performance.

Actually he hit 102 . 3 pitches in a row went. 100, 101, 102 . Didn't seem to be fooling anyone though. 4 straight hits off him including 2 doubles. Maybe he need to hide the ball better ? Seems like the hitters were seeing it well. But perhaps the guys belting him around were from higher levels ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
Actually he hit 102 . 3 pitches in a row went. 100, 101, 102 . Didn't seem to be fooling anyone though. 4 straight hits off him including 2 doubles. Maybe he need to hide the ball better ? Seems like the hitters were seeing it well. But perhaps the guys belting him around were from higher levels ?

I am sure he was trying to light up the radar gun rather than pitch. Impressive though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Made 6 appearances as of Sept 28.

Did well in 5 of them as a RP, but got blown up in his one start vs. DET.

RP - 1.13 ERA 1.25 WHIP 10 K in 8 IP

SP - 3 IP 6 ER 2 BB 1 HR (18.00 ERA)

Looks to be working on better movement over the offseason for a chance at a bullpen spot in 2016.

• 3 months later...