White Sox Claim Willy Garcia

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cunning move by Hahn waiting for the Pirates to release Garcia so that he's not included in the haul for Q. Sheer genius! :P

Seriously though. I like the addition of Garcia due to his strong arm and power potential. Plus, a good spring training could solidify him in RF which IMO is better than the alternative.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
50 AB's was enough for the Sox to say "meh, if we lose him no biggie" meanwhile Avi is our starting RF'er...

Agreed. Not that 27 is really old, but that's how old he will be on Opening Day. At best, he could be a platoon guy who hits lefties I feel. W. Garcia is still 24.

Edited by soxfan2014

50 AB's was enough for the Sox to say "meh, if we lose him no biggie" meanwhile Avi is our starting RF'er...

Garcia has a high ceiling. Coats really doesn't. They are entering a rebuild, you may as well go with the guy with a high ceiling to try and build value one way or another.

They probably aren't going to lose Coats anyways.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Garcia has a high ceiling. Coats really doesn't. They are entering a rebuild, you may as well go with the guy with a high ceiling to try and build value one way or another.

They probably aren't going to lose Coats anyways.

Yea I know he'll probably clear and be sent down but it's clear no one in the org is even remotely thinking of giving him a fair shot. Avi is 24 with over 1000 AB's and we know he's awful. But it is what it is.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
Yea I know he'll probably clear and be sent down but it's clear no one in the org is even remotely thinking of giving him a fair shot. Avi is 24 with over 1000 AB's and we know he's awful. But it is what it is.

If you are conceding no one will claim him, not giving him a shot seems to be the consensus.

I am not a huge fan of this move. Willy seems to be a high k low OBP guy, but he is a couple of years younger so we will see. Most waiver claims turn into nothing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
so do we have a CFer (not that coats was)?

Tilson.

I think Liriano can play a little CF as well, but better suited for the corners.

Leury Garcia?

Edited by ChiSox59

They know a whole lot more about him than 50 at bats. He has been in the organization a long time. There are multiple reasons why this type of player may be let go.