Luis Robert - detailed scouting report with videos

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 22, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
The sound off the bat. Dang. Go Sox.

It was funny on the day he signed I randomly was watching a Tim Tebow batting practice video and as I was watching I thought his swing looked pretty good. A bit stiff, but good. Then I watched the Robert scouting video that's on the web, the 17 minute one, and I immediately noticed how much louder his contact is then Tebow's.

Robert has a bit of a long swing but plenty of guys with that sort of bat speed make in work in MLB. Key will be his pitch recognition improving over the next 2-4 years in the Minors.

How rare is a 60 FV hit tool? Moncada is supposed to be the best talent on the planet that isn't in MLB, and his hit tool grades out 55 FV. A scouting director said Robert is the best player on the planet, and his hit tool grades out 55 FV. Just once I'd like to see a White Sox hitting prospect graded with a 60+ FV hit tool.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 22, 2017 -> 06:52 PM)
How rare is a 60 FV hit tool? Moncada is supposed to be the best talent on the planet that isn't in MLB, and his hit tool grades out 55 FV. A scouting director said Robert is the best player on the planet, and his hit tool grades out 55 FV. Just once I'd like to see a White Sox hitting prospect graded with a 60+ FV hit tool.

Hostetler, lol?

Would love to get a name to that comment. No more anonymous sources. Unmask the leakers!!! (Just joking.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 22, 2017 -> 07:52 PM)

A true 60+ hit tool is pretty rare in the minors right now.

Gleyber Torres, Yoan Moncada, Ahmed Rosario, Victor Robles (future), Ozzie Albies (future), arguably Bellinger, possibly Eloy Jimenez and that is about it right now

60 grade hit tool projects to a guy that should regularly hit for better than .280 batting average and likely better than .350 OBP.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
Can we follow up on why Jesse SANCHEZ is reporting he might start in the Dominican Summer League for "tax purposes"?

That would be throwing a bone to a kid who supposedly took less money to sign with your team. He'd be paying 40% in federal income tax on that bonus in the US vs 25% in the DR. That's a $3,750,000 difference.

If the bonus is worth $25,000,000 then he pays Uncle Sam $10,000,000 leaving him with $15,000,000. If he gets paid in the DR, then he keeps $18,750,000 of that money.

I'm not an accountant, so I don't know if there's more that plays into this. If this was my money, I'd certainly want to explore all ways possible to preserve the largest payday of my life.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 23, 2017 -> 12:52 AM)

I am retired

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 23, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
That would be throwing a bone to a kid who supposedly took less money to sign with your team. He'd be paying 40% in federal income tax on that bonus in the US vs 25% in the DR. That's a $3,750,000 difference.

If the bonus is worth $25,000,000 then he pays Uncle Sam $10,000,000 leaving him with $15,000,000. If he gets paid in the DR, then he keeps $18,750,000 of that money.

I'm not an accountant, so I don't know if there's more that plays into this. If this was my money, I'd certainly want to explore all ways possible to preserve the largest payday of my life.

I don't think they will pay him his entire bonus all upfront. I'm sure there is a payment schedule over several years. But every little bit probably helps him.

Edited by Dick Allen