Adam Eaton impact

Princess Dye

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
Considering the cost it might be Hahn's best trade to date.

Peavy trade may pay more dividends down the line but yeah I like Eaton.

Any way we can kickstart a campaign to buy him bionic hamstrings?

Jeff Soptic for Conor Gillaspie was his best in my opinion. But I love Adam Eaton, instant fan favorite, plays baseball the right way.

And I know a lot of people won't like this, but the guys intangibles are just off of the chart. He will leave anything and everything on the field to win a game. The "basehit" with the runner on 3rd and the IF in yesterday is the perfect example. 99.9999% of players are out on that play. Adam Eaton? Nope. He stole that play, and it turned into two runs. Any other player on the White Sox that is a ground out.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
106 wRC+ from the left side with scratch defense in CF? I'm thrilled, especially because I think he still has upside.

It's really going to be only his first full year in the league, and he's already showed us a ton, the guy is a leader as well which is awesome to have a young team with good influences like Eaton and Avi.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
And I know a lot of people won't like this, but the guys intangibles are just off of the chart. He will leave anything and everything on the field to win a game. The "basehit" with the runner on 3rd and the IF in yesterday is the perfect example. 99.9999% of players are out on that play. Adam Eaton? Nope. He stole that play, and it turned into two runs. Any other player on the White Sox that is a ground out.

Actually that shows up in his tangibles

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Only issue I have with Eaton is SB%. If he can't do better than 63%, then he needs to run less.

Don't take yourself off the bases with Abreu coming up.

He only has 16 attempts on the season. Ramirez and De Aza have 20. Leury has 11 in a fraction of the PA's.

Eaton hasn't been running that much.

He only has 16 attempts on the season. Ramirez and De Aza have 20. Leury has 11 in a fraction of the PA's.

Eaton hasn't been running that much.

If your SB% is 63%, then you are running too much, regardless of how much that is. Ramirez is 85%, and Garcia is 91%. They are doing it right. De Aza is another one who needs to run less.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
If your SB% is 63%, then you are running too much, regardless of how much that is. Ramirez is 85%, and Garcia is 91%. They are doing it right. De Aza is another one who needs to run less.

63% is a little low, but my gut tells me it's not far off from being worthwhile to steal in today's environment. The 75% threshold that we've all engraved into our brains was from an offensive environment that was incredibly different from today's where runs were a lot easier to come by and base runners getting out was one of the worst things you could do. Now playing for one run is much more valuable (though it still does not make the sacrifice bunt worthwhile unless you are playing for 1 run and the runner is on 2B with nobody out and the guy at the plate is not a very good hitter).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
63% is a little low, but my gut tells me it's not far off from being worthwhile to steal in today's environment. The 75% threshold that we've all engraved into our brains was from an offensive environment that was incredibly different from today's where runs were a lot easier to come by and base runners getting out was one of the worst things you could do. Now playing for one run is much more valuable (though it still does not make the sacrifice bunt worthwhile unless you are playing for 1 run and the runner is on 2B with nobody out and the guy at the plate is not a very good hitter).

Someone re-ran it a couple years ago, and it was right around 71%, I believe. Probably safe to assume 70% now.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
Someone re-ran it a couple years ago, and it was right around 71%, I believe. Probably safe to assume 70% now.

With 16 attempts that is literally the difference between what he has now, and one caught stealing. One more SB instead of one CS and he is at 70%.

The difference between Eaton and Quentin is that Eaton has very little injury background. He had a torn UCL last year and a pulled hamstring this year. That's it for his injury history.

He just seems like a player who is at high risk for injury. All speed players will have people talking about hamstring health because a slight problem can become a big one for them - look at, for instance, Scott Podsednik in the second half of 2005. I'm going to judge Eaton on the games that he misses due to injury, not the little annoyances that will be over-scrutinized because he's a small speed player who people fear will get hurt.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
The difference between Eaton and Quentin is that Eaton has very little injury background. He had a torn UCL last year and a pulled hamstring this year. That's it for his injury history.

He just seems like a player who is at high risk for injury. All speed players will have people talking about hamstring health because a slight problem can become a big one for them - look at, for instance, Scott Podsednik in the second half of 2005. I'm going to judge Eaton on the games that he misses due to injury, not the little annoyances that will be over-scrutinized because he's a small speed player who people fear will get hurt.

I think it's also his over-aggressiveness and willing to dive after every ball or crash into outfield walls, which may make him more susceptible to injury.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
Steverson is getting a lot of credit, but what does the White Sox offense look like without Eaton and Abreu? Pretty bleak if you were to ask me. He would be considered just another stooge.

2 players that never played here before hit gangbusters..maybe he helped them, too.

Gillaspie's improved.

Regardless, Steverson is a big part of this organization now and basically runs the hitting aspect top to bottom.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
Steverson is getting a lot of credit, but what does the White Sox offense look like without Eaton and Abreu? Pretty bleak if you were to ask me. He would be considered just another stooge.

I have no idea how much a hitting coach helps or hurts -- I suspect it's a lot less than we like to think.

That said, I liked the lip service from Steverson regarding forcing pitchers to come to your zone much, MUCH better than I liked Manto's bit about expanding the zone for the sake of RBIs. Don't get me wrong, I get where the latter makes sense in situations where simply putting the ball in play is the primary goal -- but those situations, IMO, are much rarer than we like to think, and I think that attitude can get our young hitters into bad habits. If it's a tie game and there's a runner on third with less than two outs, then sure, slap at it outside to get it in the air the other way somehow. But in most conditions, I want our hitters to understand that they'll do more damage by getting themselves into a hitters count and forcing the pitcher to throw something that can be barreled up. It didn't seem like ANYONE was doing that (except Konerko) when Manto was around -- there was even that month where he got Dunn to swing at everything.

Maybe they were all destined to be hacks with or without Manto, and maybe the hitters are just more talented now that Steverson is here. Distinct possibility on both accounts. But the results have absolutely lined up with the philosophies on both accounts so far.

Eaton seems to have very poor baserunning instincts for a guy that has good speed. His SB percentage is not good and he's constantly sliding headfirst needlessly (and recklessly). That said, he's getting on base nearly 36% of the time, over 500 PA that's 50 more times that Jose is batting with a man on versus the typical 310 OBP of Sox leadoff guys the last few years.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
Eaton seems to have very poor baserunning instincts for a guy that has good speed. His SB percentage is not good and he's constantly sliding headfirst needlessly (and recklessly). That said, he's getting on base nearly 36% of the time, over 500 PA that's 50 more times that Jose is batting with a man on versus the typical 310 OBP of Sox leadoff guys the last few years.

It would be 25 per 500.