Gillaspie almost qualified for batting title race

southsider2k5

And lots of people wanted to just hand the opening day 3B job to Davidson and DFA Gillaspie.

Even still I'd say a majority of people would say the 2 biggest revelations of the season are Abreu (obviously) and Eaton though Gillaspie has contributed more. Because of Eaton's higher grindiness quotient?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
And lots of people wanted to just hand the opening day 3B job to Davidson and DFA Gillaspie.

Even still I'd say a majority of people would say the 2 biggest revelations of the season are Abreu (obviously) and Eaton though Gillaspie has contributed more. Because of Eaton's higher grindiness quotient?

That certainly raises his profile. Eaton slides into third base on triples when there's no chance of a play, while Gillaspie makes faces like this:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
I mentioned it once and said "who cares if they lose Conor Gillaspie? [sic]"

I was obviously incredibly wrong on that one.

Yeah, my position was bring them both to camp, make Davidson win the job. If Davidson did win the job, they could later try to slip Conor to the minors through waivers, and if they lost him, no big deal. I did believe that Davidson wasn't going to make the team because of his service time ( and things said by management), and that I was expecting him to get called up around the 1st of Aug to help the team avoid Super 2 time.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 07:50 PM)
Not now. I'm talking before the regular season started.

How about last year when someone posted this:

Every year it's the same thing with the Soxtalk Meatheads, yes the SOXTALK MEATHEADS, I have defined you. You adopt some crap player on the roster and act like he's better than he really is or is finally figuring it out or just needs more time. We're not even including players like Gordon Beckham and Dayan Viciedo that you SOXTALK MEATHEADS refuse to see for what they are.

Conor Gillaspie is the latest in a long line of scrubs who got a couple hits and you SOXTALK MEATHEADS adorned our great solution. Now there's a thread in which people discuss claiming another turd Juan Francisco and "the one thing we don't need is a solid hitting lefty 3B". Yeah, because that's Conor Gillaspie.

Listen, this is baseball. Very rarely does a player like Gillaspie get released and all the sudden figure it out with a new ballclub. Conor Gillaspie is the 2013 Danny Richar. You will realize he sucks balls soon enough.

Oh, his OPS for the month of May is .672.

Moving forward, when I read something silly about a garbage player wearing the pale hose that is ridiculous, I will be replying to the poster declaring them to be a SOXTALK MEATHEAD.

You've been warned.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 07:00 AM)
Yeah, that was Steve

I hope the nice young man has learned that trying too hard to be the first to declare someone a failure, when it goes sideways on you, can make you look like, like ..... what's that word I'm looking for?

meatball.jpg

Also, Conor seems to be taking his bat into the field lately, which is another concern that is being alleviated.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)
How about last year when someone posted this:

I remember that well. I changed my avatar to a cap with a steak picture on it or something like that and kept it that way for a while. I always liked Conor . I also remember towards the end of last year Conor saying he was figuring things out and being encouraged by that. I stuck up for Conor in the off season when someone suggested the Sox trade for David Freese . Not sure if that was before we got Davidson.

Of course it's not like I picked out Conor from all the bad players and focused on him. I had high hopes for Viciedo too just as I do now for Avisail Garcia.

Maybe I'm just lucky or its my advanced years of watching players but I've been on the wrong side of popular opinion before. The Adam LaRoche/Derrick Lee debate on here a few years back I was in the minority for choosing LaRoche. Same last year before Abreu there was the Corey Hart/James Loney debate where I took Loney.

Remember that time Robin started the season batting Conor 3rd. I liked that too when most were like WTF ??

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

If Conor Gillaspie doesn't get injured and lets say, plays 100 games instead of his current 81, his fWAR is 2.3 as opposed to 1.9. Puts him 11th (instead of 13th) among MLB 3rd basemen and 6th in the AL. The last WSox 3rd bagger to be in the top 10 was Gordon Beckham in 2009 when he was 7th. Joe Crede racked up a 4.0 WAR in 2006 to place him 3rd among 3rd baseman.

In other words...

Hang on to this kid. He should not be traded and in fact, should be resigned to a team friendly extension, give him what Mark Teahen got (3 yrs ~15-17 million IIRC). Matt Davidson is not the future at 3rd base. Conor Gillaspie is. Matt Davidson is Mark Reynolds with less power. Who cares if he doesn't hit home runs? I'd much rather go with a perennial .290-300/.350/.440 line which is what Gillaspie will probably give you in a typical year with a 15% K rate than take a risk and probably get ~ .220/.300/.440 line at best with Davidson, to go along with at least a 25% K rate. Who cares that Conor doesn't hit home runs? Make up for it in another area. Worst case scenario Gillaspie is a platoon 3rd baseman or is a 1B/3B/LF/RF guy off your bench. Those guys are valuable and stick around a long time.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)

Given Eaton's hype as a top-100 prospect once and what he was traded for, I think the expectations were higher than him. People may have been cautious but they were excited. No one expected this much from Gillaspie.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 30m

To qualify after today, Conor Gillaspie'd need 7 more plate appearances through tonight, 10 through Weds and 13 through Thurs. #WhiteSox

He has 9 through Wednesday, so if he starts tomorrow, he'll need 4 PAs to qualify.