Who does SoxTalk prefer to win the World Series?

caulfield12

Pick your rooting interest  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Feelings about the WS?

• Pulling for the Mets
    • Pulling for the Royals
    • Don't have strong feelings but will still watch
    • Could care less, Cubs are out so can't root against them

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Royals got over themselves as the season went on. I know the Sox brawled with them, but the Royals had a reason to feel disrespected after everyone picked them to finish 4th in the central coming off forcing a game 7 in the World Series. I actually appreciated the fact they had an attitude, which was a tacit admission that they read all the predictions and analysis. But they grew out of it and are a much better team this year than they were last year.

I also love and envy their brand of baseball.

OTOH I like the Mets too. I like the lore that grows with every Murphy HR. I like Cespedes' defense and approach at the plate. I like all of their pitchers and admire their commitment to build a team through pitching in these times where everyone is so afraid of injury. Addison Reed was a lot of fun at the park when he was with the Sox (tweeting fans during the game). Curtis Granderson grew up in Blue Island and went to UIC, so of course it's be cool to see him get a ring.

I like that both of these teams aren't ultra marketable league-pleasing franchises. I like both of their managers.

I'm just going to enjoy the series.

Haha.

I wonder if the White Sox were playing the Mets whether more Royals or Tigers fans would go against their fellow AL team allegiance. I mean, we do generally cheer for the AL team in the All-Star game even when the Sox suck, right?

Can't imagine many preferring the Cubs to the Royals...Harrelson would scold those fans, in particular.

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2015/10/m...anti-gay_b.html

Cheering for the Mets and Murphy is like cheering for the Braves and John Rocker...this is getting into an interesting area of psychology where people have become so sensitive we can now retroactively criticize someone from a political correctness standpoint in their fifteen minutes of fame for something they didn't say recently.

So all of a sudden cheering for the Mets means tacit support of anti-gay bigotry when Matt Damon said even more controversial things about gays in Hollywood (Rupert Everett) recently and nobody is boycotting The Martian.

Edited by caulfield12

It's the same for me every year.

Sox -> AL Central -> AL

Lately a couple NL teams could take the place of an AL team. Any Texas team because they are covered so much here. The Cardinals.

Basically I don't want to give Cub fans the satisfaction of losing to the eventual WS winner. I'd rather see the Mets swept, badly.

I definitely prefer the Mets, but my Royals hate has dissipated from last year.

I watched nearly all of the first two rounds of the playoffs this year, but don't plan on watching this much. Not a very interesting matchup to me, sure I'll just stay in the loop on Twitter.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
Over the course of a season I develop such a dislike for our division rivals that I can't help cheering against them in the postseason.

Go Mets.

The twins and indians are relatively classy. f*** Detroit and KC though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
I find that whichever team sucks is classy. Indian and Twins used to be horrible fans to deal with. Last few seasons they've been fine. Royals were always the best fans in the division (both at USCF and Kauffman) and now they're the worst. Detroit's been bad pretty much my whole life. Even when they sucked.

As far as this thread, not sure why that many people would vote for KC or why caulfield would expect it to be split since KC is in the Sox division. Plus, it should be "couldn't care less" not "could care less." That's a pet peeve of mine.

The double negative police out in full force. But if you could not care less, by definition, you can/could only care more than you already do.

Antidisestablishmentarianism must really really rile you.

The fact that the Royals are more like the hated Evil Empire/New York Yankees in getting AL fans to actively root against them shows exactly how far they've come as an organization in the last three seasons. Before, a majority of MLB fans used to feel sorry for them (except for Sox fans because they beat us even before they got really good and knocked us out of the playoffs as recently as 2010 and 2012 in a way.) They had the longest stretch without a post-season appearance (now it's Seattle I think) of any team in baseball. The demographics charts showed a majority in every state in the US and more than half of California (due to Dodgers and Padres and Angels fans rooting against them) cheering for the underdog, small market team last year against SF. Now the Royals are the bully team (despite having the smallest media rights revenues of any team in baseball) and a team from the biggest media market is the cinderella team somehow.

Maybe this quote from pitcher Chris Young in Jerry Crasnick's ESPN article partially explains it.

"I was the late guy, showing up March 6th or 7th, and I walked into the clubhouse and I could feel the hunger from day one,'' Young said. "I called my wife and I said, 'This team genuinely wants and believes they're going to win the World Series.' I told her, 'I've never been around a group that has that hunger this early.' And here we stand 6½ months later with this opportunity to go and represent the American League. It's remarkable.''

So we have the same amount cheering against the Royals as would be cheering against the Cubs, and yet almost 100 pages about the Cubs. Yet very few posters even cared enough to post in those postseason threads in the series the Royals were playing in...whereas if you mentioned anything about the Cubs possibly coming back, that was a potential jinx. Somehow I can't imagine the same number of Big Ten fans (say OSU, MI, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska) cheering against Iowa in a potential national championship game against LSU, Baylor, Utah, TCU, etc. Interesting...especially in the sense that you know who Hawk Harrelson is pulling for in this one, as a lifetime proponent of the AL and teams like the Twins and Royals that play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Soxfan90 @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
I could care less. I think it's the Royals year, though. Last year got them the experience they need to pull this off.

Nothing is ever so overrated as experience in my opinion, especially in baseball. If Lester had shut down the comeback last year, I think the Royals would have almost the exact same chance of hitting that Mets' rotation as they do right now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 05:23 PM)
So is momentum, keep/ing the line moving and clutch...but try to convince players and managers these concepts don't exist and are just random statistical anomalies or white noise.

It's not that those concepts don't exist or have zero importance (mainly talking about experience and momentum here, still skeptical that clutch is a thing) but their importance pales in comparison to pretty much everything else, so they're not really worth giving much attention to.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm starting to wish the Cubs had actually made it just to see the existential angst around here with two teams who did rebuilds correctly putting the microscope to what we've so glaringly failed to do.

Would you really root for the Cubs over a team from the AL and your own division?

I believe KC winning the World Series accomplishes that feat on its own. I have no rooting interest for or against them, but it removes excuses that we've often seen that are rooted in jealousy -- "Royals are just a flash in the pan," "Years of losing to assemble their team....yet no World Series."

What does it say that in the regime of Moore that he has assembled a perrenial playoff team and (hopefully after winning 4 more games) a WS champion.......while we contimue spinning our wheels in mediocrity?

I would want Hahn to answer this question -- are the moves you're anticipating putting us in a better position to compete against the World Series champion Royals? And i dont think second tier FA pickups brings us there