Byung-ho Park bidding rights won by Twins, $12.85 m

southsider2k5

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given his position and relative age (still young...but not for long), I'll doubt he gets much of a contract (which limits the downside). I wouldn't mind giving a shot at him and see if he can hit. If he can, you have Abreu and him at 1B / DH. This is all presuming the price is right.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
Given his position and relative age (still young...but not for long), I'll doubt he gets much of a contract (which limits the downside). I wouldn't mind giving a shot at him and see if he can hit. If he can, you have Abreu and him at 1B / DH. This is all presuming the price is right.

Kang got 4 years and $11 million (which is seen as a HUGE bargain) and didn't put up the power numbers that this guy has. I would go out on a limb and bet on an Abreu sized deal in terms of max dollars.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
Kang got 4 years and $11 million and didn't put up the power numbers that this guy has. I would go out on a limb and bet on an Abreu sized deal in terms of max dollars.

Kang will hit at least 25 next year if he gets playing time.

He was raking the last few months of the season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
Kang got 4 years and $11 million (which is seen as a HUGE bargain) and didn't put up the power numbers that this guy has. I would go out on a limb and bet on an Abreu sized deal in terms of max dollars.

Kang had far more position flexibility. Real question is what are his tools. Their is no way a korean 1B is getting a deal anywhere near Abreu's. And Kang's deal is only viewed as a bargain now...it was fair market at the time of the deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
Kang had far more position flexibility. Real question is what are his tools. Their is no way a korean 1B is getting a deal anywhere near Abreu's. And Kang's deal is only viewed as a bargain now...it was fair market at the time of the deal.

I wonder where the Korean League rates vs. the Cuban League.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)

It was fair market because no one knew if anyone from the Korean Pro League could hit here. Kang seems to have allayed those fears. Another factor... Boston is interestedd.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
Abreu got his deal when the Cuban market was at its height. The Korean market hasn't even developed yet.

I don't think he will get Abreu money either, but his numbers are pretty spectacular. The knock against him is contact. Kang's k-rate stayed about the same, which doesn't mean this guy's wouldn't double, but would have to be at least slightly encouraging.

But A ball, AA ball AAA ball guys put up big numbers and star in the majors, and a lot of them suck in the majors.

I wouldn't want to pay someone based on their Korean League numbers alone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
It was fair market because no one knew if anyone from the Korean Pro League could hit here. Kang seems to have allayed those fears. Another factor... Boston is interestedd.

1 guy doesn't allay those fears. Plenty of MLB hacks have lit up the Korean league so it again all comes down to scouting. Does he have a slow bat that works in Korea but not the US? I have no idea. Now maybe he is this phenom with an electric bat and tons of tools that are eye popping and if so, sure, maybe he'll get an Abreu like deal. My presumption is though the league and teams will be very cautious and again the position he plays should also limit the size of a deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
1 guy doesn't allay those fears. Plenty of MLB hacks have lit up the Korean league so it again all comes down to scouting. Does he have a slow bat that works in Korea but not the US? I have no idea. Now maybe he is this phenom with an electric bat and tons of tools that are eye popping and if so, sure, maybe he'll get an Abreu like deal. My presumption is though the league and teams will be very cautious and again the position he plays should also limit the size of a deal.

The guy has hit 50 homers in back to back seasons. No one has ever done that. Plus with power being at a premium around MLB, this guy will get paid.

Was Iguchi that much more of a star in Japan?

Obviously, Japan was/is stronger in terms of overall talent, but the gap is closing year after year.

The positional flexibility issue is a big concern, though. We already have Cabrera, Garcia, Abreu, LaRoche, Olt, Davidson, Soto and even Micah that all might be best suited for the DH role.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
The guy has hit 50 homers in back to back seasons. No one has ever done that. Plus with power being at a premium around MLB, this guy will get paid.

300 K's in the past 2 seasons to go along with 50+ HR's is a little scary though....but I agree he will get paid. Probably not quite what Abreu got but something like 4 years $40M wouldn't surprise me at all. Obviously there is always the fear that he'll be a complete bust, but the middle ground of him having 20-30 HR power with the ability to hit better than .250/.330 is still plenty worth $10 million a year in the present free agent market. With all that said, I don't see us going after a 1b/dh type

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
Was Iguchi that much more of a star in Japan?

Obviously, Japan was/is stronger in terms of overall talent, but the gap is closing year after year.

The positional flexibility issue is a big concern, though. We already have Cabrera, Garcia, Abreu, LaRoche, Olt, Davidson, Soto and even Micah that all might be best suited for the DH role.

Yes.

Is this Korean slugger a better hitter than Dan Black?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
.333/.413/.576 12 Homers in about 1/3 of the PA.

Projected out over a full season 36 dingers and an almost 1.000 OPS. All goes back to our original points...what do the scouts say. I think their are enough uncertainties regarding the talent level in the Korean league that it is unlikely this guy is getting some mega deal, unless of course he is just off the charts from a tools perspective.

Just imagine Andy Wilkins in the Korean league.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
Abreu got his deal when the Cuban market was at its height. The Korean market hasn't even developed yet.

I think Abreu propelled it to it's height. Castillo, Tomas and Moncada all got bigger deals because of Abreu.

And every time a Korean is posted, I think of how badly I wanted to get Kang for 3B last year :(

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 05:42 PM)
http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94182

Hindsight makes Chilihead, greg and I look good in here. What a group. Also, Wite looks dumb. You suck Blake!!!!

Except when he said this:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
The Sox are in a slump where they can't compete with anybody in the division in head to head games. Did finish ahead of Minnie though. And with Gardenhire gone, that team should be buried for a while.

Sorry, greg.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
Rob Rains ‏@RobRains 3m3 minutes ago Affton, MO

Winning bid for Byung-ho Park is $12.85 million. MLB team unknown but Korean team says it will accept bid.

I am guessing Pirates or Yankees. I saw this guy on video. He doesn't set up the same, but his swing reminds me of Maggs when Maggs would, take a huge cut.

Edited by Dick Allen