Nationals screw over Bud Black, hire Dusty Baker

Buehrle>Wood

I love to rag on Dusty Baker as much as the next guy, but I could see him doing well with this team, at least get the team in the playoffs. He's no tactician, but he can convince a veteran team to have fun again and get their head out of their ass.

Now trying to low ball Bud Black, that's not a good look.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 05:35 AM)
They interviewed Black twice. Offered him the job and he accepted...until they went to the negotiation table. Nationals offer to him was 1 year, 1.6 million. He obviously said no.

Now the National are stuck with Dusty Baker to pay for their sins.

Baker is probably one of the most underappreciated managers. Guy took the Giants to the series, then did amazing for the Cubs (Prior and Wood's arms would have blown up with any manager....not just Dusty)...then goes to the Reds and they win. Oh and with the exception of the Giants (who are a great organization), the Cubs and Reds went into the crapper after Baker left.

Baker will do a great job for the Nats.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
Thanks for this, makes more sense. In terms of baseball, had no idea bud black was well thought of after the padres run.

Black is extremely well respected and a very good baseball man. Excellent pitching coach and even today lots of people in the Padres org say nothing but good things about him. He's a good coach who excelled with the Angels and really failed because no matter how good a manager you are, you need to have good players and to be frank, the Pads were a horribly constructed team.

I've long said he'd be on my short list of candidates if the Sox made the move away from Robin.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
I thought it was $1.6 million per year for two seasons, then club options.

Pretty ridiculous not to offer AT LEAST three.

One year dude.

Bob NightengaleVerified account‏@BNightengale

The #Nats official offer to Bud Black: one year, $1.6 million. Really.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
Thanks, good to know.

I cannot stress enough how invisible the padres are to me as a franchise. They could be contracted today and I'd not notice a difference next year.

Honestly, a lot of NL team fans probably feel that about us.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
Baker is probably one of the most underappreciated managers. Guy took the Giants to the series, then did amazing for the Cubs (Prior and Wood's arms would have blown up with any manager....not just Dusty)...then goes to the Reds and they win. Oh and with the exception of the Giants (who are a great organization), the Cubs and Reds went into the crapper after Baker left.

Baker will do a great job for the Nats.

Dusty didn't help Wood or Prior. Let's not forget he also ruined Volquez before the Pirates resurrected him. Cueto didn't have the best injury history either under Dusty.

With a Nationals team that features fragile arms in Strasburg and possibly Giolito next year, the front office better have Dusty on a leash in regards to innings and pitch limits.