Former Sox pitcher Tommy Hanson passes away at 29

coco1997

Hearing all over Twitter that ex-Braves RHP Tommy Hanson is in a coma after massive organ failure. Jordan Schafter tweeted that he has indeed died, though that may have been inaccurate/premature.

Thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

RIP man. One of my favorites. Loved him with ATL. Too many injuries. He didn't stick with us but it was nice having a player I watched in our minors for a little bit. This s*** is just brutal. Rest easy buddy.

Catastrophic organ failure at his age? Crazy. I'll be interested to see why.

Edited by SouthSideSale

RIP.

I have heard people say that the catastrophic organ failure was the result of a cocaine overdose, but I have no idea if that's accurate or not.

My wife is an RT at a Level I Trauma Center and she has said that when people under 40 have some catastrophic medical issue such as this, 95% of the time it is drug/alcohol related. There are some rare freak genetic issues that do account for the other 5%.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
My wife is an RT at a Level I Trauma Center and she has said that when people under 40 have some catastrophic medical issue such as this, 95% of the time it is drug/alcohol related. There are some rare freak genetic issues that do account for the other 5%.

Not saying it is but that's what I wondered. Closet alcoholic maybe like C.C. Anywho, not passing judgment. I liked the guy I was just curious. Life is so precious.