Alexei and Eaton gold glove finalists

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
Rawlings Sports ‏@RawlingsSports 2m2 minutes ago

#RawlingsGoldGlove Award Finalists – AL CF – @RedSox @JackieBradleyJr, @whitesox @AdamSpankyEaton , @Orioles Adam Jones/ @SimplyAJ10

Bradley hit .198 this year and he still finished top 3 for a Gold Glove? Times are changing.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
I know he made highlight plays, but I mean statistically.

Systems disagree on him drastically. Just looking at the Fangraphs leaderboard, Eaton is 21st in DRS and he's the only guy in the top 50 with a negative UZR. Gordon Beckham is the next one at 59th.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
Did you watch any Sox games this past year?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
Systems disagree on him drastically. Just looking at the Fangraphs leaderboard, Eaton is 21st in DRS and he's the only guy in the top 50 with a negative UZR. Gordon Beckham is the next one at 59th.

That's exactly why I asked. Thanks, shysocks

Three things are sure in the world of defense, Alex Gordon, Heyward and Juan Lagares will all win Gold Gloves.

And that there will eventually be so much "overhype" for defense that there will be another course correction as defense starts getting overvalued...especially if the Royals are able to win the World Series.

(Yes, I know, they were down 7-3 to Lester and six outs away from not being part of the paradigm shift conversation).

It's the same exact thing in the NFL. Everyone copied the idea of having 6-8 interchangeable defensive lineman to put continuous pressure on the QB throughout a game and wear opponents down in the 4th quarter. Magically, at least 10 teams copied this approach. Surprise, surprise.

The same thing happened with the Pirates/Astros/Rays and defensive shifting....as well changing a pitching philosophy to encourage more ground balls/sinkers and fewer strikeouts/less wear and tear on pitchers.

Eaton won't win because he missed too many games. Bradley won't win, either. Am sure either Escobar or Hardy (not Alexei) will win.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
FanGraphs' numbers say this should be JJ Hardy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=&players=0

It would still be nice to see Alexei win it. He was deserving of the award a couple other times earlier in his career.

"It would still be nice?" This is why I can't even bother to post anymore.