Baseball Manager Online (Soxtalk League)

Anyone ever heard of this? They play it over at SSS, and I am wondering if anyone is interested in a SoxTalk version.

It's really truly addicting. Good news is you really only need to check it once or twice a day during the season (or not even, but it's suggested), and then either not at all or often during the off-season, depending on if you want to rebuild your team or not I guess.

I would hope to get at least 10 people involved, but 14 or 16 would be best (so we could control an entire AL or NL). Everything is free to play. I'd act as commish of the league. For anyone who has played OOTP, I would say it's in the same realm of game, but a LOT less involved and easier to understand and manage.

Anyway, here is the link to the website. Hopefully I will get a handful of responses and I can then start up the league and wait for more to fill in. Like I said, over at SSS they do this, and they are in the year 2050 or something, and it's not their 1st league either.

http://www.baseball-manager-online.com/login.pl

EDIT: Updates for quick reference.....

RULES:

No sign and trades.

----It's going to be hard to police this, but don't take advantage of the game by signing a player just to use as trade bait. If you want to sign a player to replace someone you want to trade, that's fine, but don't signing trading chips.

$15M Annual Budget Limit (Total)

----Under the "Expenses" page, you will find 3 boxes where you can put in the amount of money to want to devote to your Farm System, Scouting, and Medical Staff. To make things fair and promote parity, we are going to operate under a MAXIMUM of $15M to allocate between those 3 fields. This means you can do $10M on Farm, $3M on Scouting, $2M on Medical, or whatever you see fit, but they can only add up to $15M or LESS. Feel free to spend $0 in those 3 if you so choose.

Post all trades

----Post all trades completed in this thread. This is so we can make sure that no unfair trades are occuring. You don't need to get pre-approval of trades, just post the result of the trade. There is a dialogue that shows what the trade was and then under it will say "Trade was accepted!" or something. Just copy and paste that dialogue here. It's pretty simple, and makes sure no one is taking advantage. As Commish I DO have the power to reverse trades, and it's an annoying process (I have to individually move each player back).

Update trading block

----This isn't really a rule, but more of a suggestion. If you don't want people to continually ask if a certain amazing player is available, then give him a "RED" dot, that means he is not available. Green dot means they are on the block, and yellow means you'd listen on offers. Again, not required, but helpful, especially during the trading deadline and offseason.

No trading for newly drafted players

----Much like in real life, don't trade for a guy that was just drafted. The draft occurs right after the World Series in this game. The CPU can be taken advantage of by trading for a guy who is like a 59++++ a week after he is drafted because he hasn't had a chance to mature yet. You must wait until the following draft to acquire that player. This DOES NOT apply to human to human trades.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright screw it, I made the league for us anyway. I can always delete it if we don't get enough people, but I am think we should get at least 10, considering how big our community is here.

League name: SoxTalkBMO

Password: PM me to find out

If you want to play, post what AL team you want and then what NL team you'd want in the event we get more than 14 people signing up.

TEAM LIST

JoeCoolMan24 - White Sox (Giants)

ROC Sox Fan - Blue Jays (Brewers)

2nd City Saint - Twins (Cardinals)

Issacar - Rays (Phillies)

Juddling - Angels (Braves)

Soxfest - Yankees (Dodgers)

Bigruss - Rangers (Reds)

Infallable - Orioles (Pirates)

GoGoSox2k2 - Royals (Rockies)

Flippedoutpunk - A's (Marlins)

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

Also, the rosters are reflected for 2009, the most recent available. All teams will be put on equal economies, so don't pick Boston because you think you will automatically sell out every game, and don't shy away from KC because you want revenue.

As far as initial team funds go, I think to balance things out, I will give every team $1M per team overall rating that is less than 100. So this means the best team in the league currently (The Red Sox), will start with $6M in funds, because their team is a 94 overall. The worst team on the list is the Royals at 81 overall, so they will start with $19M. This should help even the teams right from the get go, so rebuilding process for those teams won't take as long.

All the CPU teams in the NL will just get $10M each.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

I played OOTP for several seasons. I won a couple championships, and lost one when Greg Maddux hit a grand slam off of Pedro Martinez in the 8th inning of game 7 of the WS when I had a 2 run lead. True story. That said, it's been many years since I played and I really am not interested, but thanks for bringing back some memories of some good times with a bunch of coworkers by mentioning OOTP.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)
I've signed up twice now and they never sent me a confirmation code yet.

EDIT- I guess I don't need one, getting in right meow.

Alright cool. I propose we hold on on any trades with CPU teams until we get the league started, so everyone has a fair chance to jump in, but while we wait we can try to work out trades amongst ourselves via either PMs here or PMing on the site or whatnot. I know I have interest in your 3B "hot prospect" Danny Valencia. LOL, weird to think of him being a good prospect still.

EDIT: Oh, it doesn't allow for trades or FA signings until the season starts anyway. We can lay the groundwork then, I guess, if you are are interested in any trades.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

TEAM LIST

JoeCoolMan24 - White Sox (Giants)

ROC Sox Fan - Blue Jays (Brewers)

2nd City Saint - Twins (Cardinals)

Issacar - Rays (Phillies)

And I think Issacar might be bringing a friend to our league too, so hopefully we will be at at least 5 members by the morning. Half way there!

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
Yea didn't realize we were doing AL teams only first, no problem at all.

Yeah, the only reason I was requesting people to give an NL alternative as in the event we had 15 or 16 people sign up right away, but since participation has been slow so far, I doubt it will matter. HOWEVER, I have plans for what we might do with those NL teams, so I still want pick to chose an alternative NL team as well.