**2017 Films Thread** (Beware of spoilers)

caulfield12

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 1, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)
More like "list of 50 upcoming, mediocre Hollywood blockbusters"

amirite?

Well, yeah...the odds are maybe 8-12 end up as "best movies" of the year while many lower budget and indie projects will take months to germinate on the back of critical praise.

I doubt Moonlight or Manchester by the Sea were on a similar list last year. Just thought it was as good a place as any to start the year's movie discussions.

Academy Award noms will be coming out very soon as well.

Two bonus picks...

Independence Day remake

After Earth

Alice Through the Looking Glass

Piranha 3DD

The 3rd Human Centipede movie

Fifty Shades of Grey

Away with the Bullets for foreign films (China)

Biggest guilty pleasure: Pacific Rim

Edited by caulfield12

Anja Taylor Joy became a rising star in The Witch, but nobody other than the critics really loved it.

Fences was a pretty darned powerful little picture. Denzel and Viola Davis deserve all the accolades they're receiving. Lots of baseball references in there as well (takes place in 1957-1965ish Pittsburgh).

Moonlight is an excellent film but it's way too heavy for the Academy Awards to bless with LA LA Land out there.

At least Elle and Nocturnal Animals got some attention, two more hard films to watch that pushed boundaries, Elle in particular.

Also, did anyone see the stories from the Golden Globes about Hidden Figures and Fences getting mixed together at least twice last night? Pretty poor. Streep's anti-Trump speech carried the news, perhaps with Hiddleston's praise for himself taking second place and Viola Davis 3rd.

That and Mandy Moore's "dress."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
Moonlight is an excellent film but it's way too heavy for the Academy Awards to bless with LA LA Land out there.

At least Elle and Nocturnal Animals got some attention, two more hard films to watch that pushed boundaries, Elle in particular.

Also, did anyone see the stories from the Golden Globes about Hidden Figures and Fences getting mixed together at least twice last night? Pretty poor. Streep's anti-Trump speech carried the news, perhaps with Hiddleston's praise for himself taking second place and Viola Davis 3rd.

That and Mandy Moore's "dress."

Kristen Wiig and Steve Carrell's bit was pretty amazing actually about the first time they ever saw an animated film in the theater.

Am kinda bummed that LA LA LAND did so well. I really enjoyed the film, but I thought Ryan Gosling was terrible in it, and so wooden and lacked any chemistry with Emma Stone whatsoever.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:21 PM)
Kristen Wiig and Steve Carrell's bit was pretty amazing actually about the first time they ever saw an animated film in the theater.

Am kinda bummed that LA LA LAND did so well. I really enjoyed the film, but I thought Ryan Gosling was terrible in it, and so wooden and lacked any chemistry with Emma Stone whatsoever.

But it makes those elite Streepists in Hollywood feel so danged proud of their aspirational product...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 05:17 AM)
Anja Taylor Joy became a rising star in The Witch, but nobody other than the critics really loved it.

Fences was a pretty darned powerful little picture. Denzel and Viola Davis deserve all the accolades they're receiving. Lots of baseball references in there as well (takes place in 1957-1965ish Pittsburgh).

Davis was good in Fences, but Denzel totally over acted.

Silence A-/B+ But way too long, almost three hours. Andrew Garfield really has shined this year with Hacksaw Ridge and this one which underperformed at the box office.

"A Monster Calls" B, surprisingly effective children's movie, Felicity Jones is everywhere.

XXX. For a pure popcorn film, B+. Felt like another Fast and Furious enseble cast film, but entertaining for the most part except for forcing international stars (India, Australia, Thailand, China) into nearly every movie now.

Really liked "Patriots Day". Felt some was amped up for Hollywood sake but I could be wrong. Liked how it was structured with smaller characters and how they came to be in the places they were when they got involved.

Read the spoiler for "Split" and actually liked a M Knight twist ending for once. Looks like his first good film in awhile, judging by reviews.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 03:36 AM)
Manchester by the Sea was excellently acted but way too depressing.

American Honey is one of those low budget movies that you should see...Shia LeBouf does his best Frank TJ Mackey (Magnolia reference) and just maybe still has a career ahead of him.

Thats my next trip to the movies. La La Land was so god damn good I am not sure if anything will match up.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/oscars-la-la-l...-140250277.html

Oscar nominations...pulling for Hidden Figures, but expecting La La Land. Can't even pick between the two nominated songs, haha.

Watching Jackie now...it's hard to stomach, at least for Democrats (especially Baby Boomers) already demoralized by November.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
I only saw Arrival and Manchester. I slacked off last year because of work.

How is "Drive it Like you Stole it" not nominated for best song?

I always find the Song and Score categories a little ridiculous.

Gustavo Santaolalla has two Oscars for original score. John Williams only has five. That's borderline criminal.

Edit: Didn't realize "Fiddler on the Roof" was original. For some reason, I thought it was adapted.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
Finally saw Suicide Squad, albeit on a plane.

MAN that movie was bad...

Everything about that was a mistake. Every decision they made was the wrong one.

And Jared Leto was garbage. Margo Robbie was okay, but no one could have made that dialog convincing.

Edit: The only thing I think they got right were the Batman scenes. That's it. To hell with the rest of it.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 11:48 PM)
Everything about that was a mistake. Every decision they made was the wrong one.

And Jared Leto was garbage. Margo Robbie was okay, but no one could have made that dialog convincing.

Edit: The only thing I think they got right were the Batman scenes. That's it. To hell with the rest of it.

I finally thought about it this way...

Take away their abilities and powers, what kind of story and plot would you have left to interest people?