Hahn

NCsoxfan

Hard to tell. First of all, it's really unclear who is in charge in this organization. I'm not saying he has done a great job, but I'm concerned he might not have full control of personnel based on the various comments from Kenny on the way the organization works.

In most organizations, the GM is hired as head of personnel with a few exceptions. To answer your question, most organizations would have fired Hahn, but most would probably not have his boss working that closely over his shoulder.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
Why does Hahn deserve to keep his job and oversee the rebuild? Would he have been fired in other organizations? Should he be let go?

Obviously because everything that bad happens is KW's fault.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
Hard to tell. First of all, it's really unclear who is in charge in this organization. I'm not saying he has done a great job, but I'm concerned he might not have full control of personnel based on the various comments from Kenny on the way the organization works.

In most organizations, the GM is hired as head of personnel with a few exceptions. To answer your question, most organizations would have fired Hahn, but most would probably not have his boss working that closely over his shoulder.

Deadpool:

I'm glad you brought this up. Heard from one of the mainstream media members yesterday and I was asking about this. Was told that Hahn still isn't "up" on things (direct quote) and that's why Kenny steps in as much as he has been.

This brings up an interesting point. This is year three of Hahn supposedly being in charge. What could he possible be not "up" on after all that time? (Not counting the years he spent in the organization working under Kenny...)

Just gets curiouser and curiouser doesn't it?

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
Deadpool:

I'm glad you brought this up. Heard from one of the mainstream media members yesterday and I was asking about this. Was told that Hahn still isn't "up" on things (direct quote) and that's why Kenny steps in as much as he has been.

This brings up an interesting point. This is year three of Hahn supposedly being in charge. What could he possible be not "up" on after all that time? (Not counting the years he spent in the organization working under Kenny...)

Just gets curiouser and curiouser doesn't it?

Mark

Definitely.

Kenny had said in the past that Rick will want to make a move and will come talk to Kenny and debate the merits of the potential move. But if that's the case, then Kenny is the GM.

I'll go as far as saying that it's possible Rick could have more success elsewhere, but might ruin his chances under this regime.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)

Say what now? Its Jerry, then Kenny, then Rick.

I don't think the training wheels have ever been taken off for the guy. That said, you either do that and give him full reign or bring someone in to take over the whole damn thing, someone hopefully established that'll bring in his own staff, manager, coaches, scouts, etc. Kenny and Robin shouldn't be employed at the end of the season. As long as that last part happens, I'm good to give the guy a shot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
Easy answer, he doesn't. Horrible job as a GM, as both big league team and farm system suck.

That simple. hands tied or not. He attached his name to this as GM and should have full credit of the product. Only a fool would have taken the GM spot if they wouldn't have a great amount of creative control.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)

Considering rabbit and others have said Hahn wanted to rebuild 3 years ago and KW/Jerry wanted to retool, I can see it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Say what now? Its Jerry then Kenny, then Rick.

It's the 15th year of this three-headed monster running the show, and just two post season trips during that decade and a half time frame, with the last one coming eight years ago. That's pretty futile no matter how you slice and dice it. But for certain, any and all criticism and/or skepticism of the organization should be distributed to all three, not just to one or two of them. They're all in this together.

Edited by Thad Bosley

I'm seeing the same patterns in Hahn and Kenny. This makes me think JR is in far more control. Most organization would have fired most of their minor league personnel by now. The Twins are going all out on this. Promoting within seems like their last step.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
I'm seeing the same patterns in Hahn and Kenny. This makes me think JR is in far more control. Most organization would have fired most of their minor league personnel by now. The Twins are going all out on this. Promoting within seems like their last step.

As recently as last year, Mr. Reinsdorf said he was still involved in the "day-to-day operations" of the ball club. So you draw your own conclusions as to what that means.

Shields is having a bad year. Hahn trades 2 prospects for him and gets the money cut by 50%.

Upton is having a very good year; Jays trade 1 prospect (similar to Tatis, if that) and get the money cut by 2/3.

That is just one example that makes me wonder about the negotiation skill of this front office. Yes, you can come up with reasons (one is a pitcher). But there are other examples.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
His last 3 drafts have been better than pretty much any draft under Kenny Williams from like 2003-2009 though.

Indeed.

And on the plus side, when looking for prospects, his hit rate is pretty good, especially as he never traded for any elite prospects (and never paid an elite price). He was 1/3 with Avi, Eaton and Davidson (although Davidson appeared to be turning the corner).

But he was 2/3 with the A Ball prospects in the Peavy trade (Wendelkin threw well today for Oakland).

He got a nice prospect for Beckham if you can believe it (but then squandered him when trading for someone more proven - Kahnle).

This is pretty good return for non-elite prospect fishing.

Trading up is where he's gone awry, imo.

I hope we break this down, but I am glad he's holding out for 5 top prospects+ for Sale; he can give up on his ML player demand, but not the elite prospect demand.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)
That is just one example that makes me wonder about the negotiation skill of this front office. Yes, you can come up with reasons (one is a pitcher). But there are other examples.

Two are pitchers, but the point still stands. Theoretically, the best players on this roster have extremely team friendly contracts (Sale, Q, Eaton)

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)
Shields is having a bad year. Hahn trades 2 prospects for him and gets the money cut by 50%.

Upton is having a very good year; Jays trade 1 prospect (similar to Tatis, if that) and get the money cut by 2/3.

I don't think those situations are as comparable as you outlined them to be. Markets were drastically different.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
I don't think those situations are as comparable as you outlined them to be. Markets were drastically different.
. It's hard for me to believe that there was much of a market for Shields, an aging pitcher who was getting tatooed. But let's assume there was. Shouldn't Hahn be able to move him now, now that he is pitching much better and the market is tight? And if Hahn did strike a good deal the first time, now that he's pitching well, not only should he move him, but for more than he paid. Edited by GreenSox