Would You Ban this Poster?

LVSoxFan

Here is something I posted right at the end of August, after the Texas series, on another board:

This BETTER be a damn good homestand, because

1) I'm tired of watching them lose

2) I'm even MORE tired of watching them lose at home

It's time to kick some Comedy Central ass. Look, having a crappy home record and winning on the road isn't going to do us much good when... we have home field advantage to start the playoffs.

The bad news is: the 1st half team is AWOL. Where oh where are our little smallball, squeak-it-out, win-every-series wonders?

The good news is: if that was the slump and we go on a tear in September, then the timing couldn't be better. Usually our collapse each year starts in August--we hang in there until the ASB, then the Twins juice us and by August we know we're toast. Just like last year. At least the year before with Loaiza's Big Year they managed to last until... September. And if I'm not mistaken, Loaiza's loss there in Minnesota was sort of the beginning of the end that year.

So here we have it. Final month. Do or die. We either teach the division a lesson, or we give it up by Oct. 1st.

Let's keep things in perspective: while everybody wants to win the WS, the first goal--face it, we didn't expect to be this good this fast--was to win the division, which we haven't been able to do for four years behind Minnesota. If we can get there, let's worry about everything else as it comes. First things first, though: people shouldn't distract themselves with WS fantasies and instead should focus on doing whatever it takes to win the division.

Just a thought...

After a year on the board, 600+ posts, I was denied access. As it turned out, the moderator had gone into the post and added these comments:

Enjoy it from your sofa, because you won't be here.

First things first... farewell.

And you're welcome. Relieving constant misery is our first responsiblity

I emailed him asking him what was possibly inappropriate about this and pointing out that I've been a loyal poster for that long (and big-time promoter of the board). No response.

I've been here a couple of times, but I need to hear from Sox fans what would be offensive about this, or inappropriate. I'm a diehard who's been to 37 games this season thus far.

Remember this was right before September started, and obviously we've started to do just what I said we needed to since then.

And now I'm here, which is fine. I like what I see. Hopefully I won't get my ass kicked out of here with no warning! :huh

Edited by LVSoxFan

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
Wow.

If they banned you for that post, with no other reason, they're nuts.

That post won't get you banned here. Hell, some folks might even agree with you.... :D

Have you been over there lately? If you say anything remotely negative you're banned. Somehow I've managed to stay afloat, not really sure how.

What is so "dark cloud" about pointing out the obvious? Remember: this was before our big streak and rally in September, which is exactly what I said we needed to do.

And you think it's appropriate to boot somebody for one post among 600?

A couple of friends/Sox fans pointed out this is like the Steve Stone treatment--which, ironically, is postively Cubs-like.

And no I'm hardly a doomsayer--but then again, I always loved Sox fans because they're not filled with pie-in-the-sky delusional thinking like the other team's fans. They call 'em like they see 'em.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
What is so "dark cloud" about pointing out the obvious?  Remember: this was before our big streak and rally in September, which is exactly what I said we needed to do.

A couple of friends/Sox fans pointed out this is like the Steve Stone treatment--which, ironically, is postively Cubs-like.

By their rules you are a "dark cloud"

IMO, it's f***ing stupid to ban anyone for something like that. You can only praise the team and it's sickening.

However, they do make the rules and by their rules, you won't be posting again until October.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)

IMO, it's f***ing stupid to ban anyone for something like that. You can only praise the team and it's sickening.

However, they do make the rules and by their rules, you won't be posting again until October.

So you're saying it's a good thing I don't post over there?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)

Well I guess. I didn't realize obviously that the definition of "dark cloud" was so arbitrary. After all, if you read the post, it's the bad news... and then the good news.

I'll praise the team when praise is due--but if I want to be nothing but a rhetorical, delusional puppet, I'll be a Cubs fan.

Don't get me wrong there's great posters there and a lot of very passionate fans and the board is nicely done; but I'm just floored that something that could have come from Ozzie's or KW's mouth or any sportswriter resulted in summary dismissal.

Edited by LVSoxFan

A few things.

#1.No you would not have been banned here.

#2.We really don't want to see someone's dirty laundry from another site aired out here. If you want to rant, we ask that you keep it to the off topic board, Sex, Lies, and Politics.

#3 Welcome to Soxtalk

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
What is so "dark cloud" about pointing out the obvious?  Remember: this was before our big streak and rally in September, which is exactly what I said we needed to do.

And no I'm hardly a doomsayer--but then again, I always loved Sox fans because they're not filled with pie-in-the-sky delusional thinking like the other team's fans.  They call 'em like they see 'em.

I assume you're talking about WSI? Their mods like to weild the power. I don't even bother anymore - soxtalk is muy bueno.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
A few things.

#1.No you would not have been banned here.

#2.We really don't want to see someone's dirty laundry from another site aired out here.  If you want to rant, we ask that you keep it to the off topic board, Sex, Lies, and Politics.

#3 Welcome to Soxtalk

My apologies, I just wanted some feedback from Sox Fans and didn't know where to put it.

Please go ahead and move it to the appropriate forum.

#3: Thanks.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
So you're saying it's a good thing I don't post over there?

That's why I have about 125X more posts here then I do over there. I only post there when a little common sense needs to be infused. Some of them get pretty delusional and someone's gotta try and bring them back down to earth.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)

And no I'm hardly a doomsayer--but then again, I always loved Sox fans because they're not filled with pie-in-the-sky delusional thinking like the other team's fans.  They call 'em like they see 'em.

On this board, that post might make you in the majority.

Welcome to Soxtalk :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
My apologies, I just wanted some feedback from Sox Fans and didn't know where to put it.

Please go ahead and move it to the appropriate forum.

#3: Thanks.

Not a problem. We try to keep this board for strictly Sox stuff. SLaP is the wide open area for anything that might be on your mind.

Another thing is that if you ever have any concerns about stuff here, you can always PM any of the mods/admins or post your concerns and we can adress them appropriately.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
Have I not been better under the new rules though?

I don't think you were ever a problem poster in the first place. You might not be the happiest guy in the world, but you have never gone after other posters that I know of. Like I said, you are OK in my book :cheers

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
That's why I have about 125X more posts here then I do over there. I only post there when a little common sense needs to be infused. Some of them get pretty delusional and someone's gotta try and bring them back down to earth.

I think I have 50 posts there, i cant seem to engage in a conversation with anyone over there, it just doesnt take for some reason. Plus this format is A TON easier to use.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
On this board, that post might make you in the majority.

Welcome to Soxtalk :cheers  :cheers

It is impossible to remove, either surgically, psychologically, or through the arcane arts, the tiny grain of negativity that always resides in true Sox fans waiting to rear it's head at the appropriate times.

To paraphrase James Joyce, as Sox fans, we have an abiding sense of tragedy that sustains us through breif periods of joy.

Welcome aboard, LVSoxFan. :cheers

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
It is impossible to remove, either surgically, psychologically, or through the arcane arts, the tiny grain of negativity that always resides in true Sox fans waiting to rear it's head at the appropriate times.

To paraphrase James Joyce, as Sox fans, we have an abiding sense of tragedy that sustains us through breif periods of joy.

Welcome aboard, LVSoxFan. :cheers

Thanks and I agree. Being championship-free since 1917 will do that. I like to say: "Hope for the best, expect the worst." It is Chicago; we are stoic like that.

That said, of course I think we'll do great things this year and am thrilled with how it's gone so far. Not August, but hey: if that was the slump and now we're going to start rolling in September, perfect. That was my point over there; usually at this point we're collapsing for good. Not so now!

Go Sox!

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Thanks and I agree.  Being championship-free since 1917 will do that.  I like to say: "Hope for the best, expect the worst."  It is Chicago; we are stoic like that.

That said, of course I think we'll do great things this year and am thrilled with how it's gone so far.  Not August, but hey: if that was the slump and now we're going to start rolling in September, perfect.  That was my point over there; usually at this point we're collapsing for good.  Not so now!

Go Sox!

I take it LV stands for Vegas...how does one become a fan in Vegas? ARe you from CHicago originally?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
I take it LV stands for Vegas...how does one become a fan in Vegas?  ARe you from CHicago originally?

Oh God, now I'm gonna get shot! :unsure:

LV stands for Lakeview. Yes, I live five minutes from Wrigley field, but have been a lifelong Sox fan and haul my ass on the el to the games every week.

The downside is that I'm surrounded by Cubbery. The upside is that when I'm out and about in a Sox jersey, people will come up to me, and give the handshake and nod, as we're comrades in Cubland. Or yell out "Go Sox" as they're passing by. It's like a band of brothers over here.

If you ever need to know where the Sox-friendly bars are here, hit me up.