Where does Luis Robert start 2018?

KnightsOnMintSt

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 10:05 AM)
Obviously spring training will tell us a lot, but where do we think he ends up?

Seems as if he could really start anywhere from AZL to Winston-Salem.

I believe Rick Hahn has said A ball seems to be their target. Personally I can't see a scenario that doesn't involve him on anything but a full season team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 10:12 AM)
I believe Rick Hahn has said A ball seems to be their target. Personally I can't see a scenario that doesn't involve him on anything but a full season team.

Yeah, I think it comes down to how he does in spring training whether he will be put in A or A+ to start. Unless he absolutely destroys, I see it more likely he is in A to start and will probably have a promotion by the midseason point.

There is a whole log jam of OF's at those levels that has to be sorted out too. I would imagine Robert's fate will have a pretty serious ripple effect as to what happens to other players.

I would expect the Sox to try to get their top guys all on to one team and try to move them as a group.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 04:26 PM)
Ending the year at Winston Salem would be good. Then we can set eyes on ending in Double A the next year. Then by year 3 we can try to end the year in the MLB..

If Robert starts 2019 in AA, he is ending the year on the MLB roster, barring something terrible happening.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 12:52 AM)
I think the real 2018 goal in High-A, but I'm sure they will start him off in Low-A Kanny to *hopefully* let him feast for a month or so, then spend the rest of the year in W-S. Then maybe do the same thing in 2019, but obviously up a level. Then maybe make the majors by sometime in 2020 when he's 23.

Very good chance he starts the season in Kannapolis and then they evaluate from there. If he is as talented as we hope he is, a promotion to Winston Salem will be forced sooner or later.

Robert is just so hard to evaluate. Obviously he is physically gifted, and has put up good numbers in the DR and Cuba, but its just so hard to know how that will translate. Especially since he is only 20. Spring Training will be very telling but I think Kannapolis would be an excellent starting spot.

The only reason I can think you would start him in A+ is that Kannapolis has too many OFs that need to be there and Robert also destroys spring training. Even then I might rather send someone else to a higher level before they're ready and still put Robert in Kannapolis. We should start him lower and let him prove it at each level before moving him up.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 11:53 AM)
The only reason I can think you would start him in A+ is that Kannapolis has too many OFs that need to be there and Robert also destroys spring training. Even then I might rather send someone else to a higher level before they're ready and still put Robert in Kannapolis. We should start him lower and let him prove it at each level before moving him up.

Robert is our #1 OF prospect, so you play him where you need to and adjust the lesser prospects accordingly.