Baseball America Top 10 Prospects

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Worries me a bit. While it's nice to see Hansen up there, you know that Sheets, Rutherford and Burger aren't jumping over Cease because of a great year.

I'm fine with it though. I think I would probably move back on Cease and ask him to prove it for a year. If our org can get him up in innings and health as successfully as we were with Kopech and Hansen last year, then we'll see him back.

I do hope though that it's because they hear positive things on Dunning being more than backend fodder, and something encouraging on Rutherford, Burger and Sheets.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 09:12 AM)
Interesting. Worries me a bit. While it's nice to see Hansen up there, you know that Sheets, Rutherford and Burger aren't jumping over Cease because of a great year.

I'm fine with it though. I think I would probably move back on Cease and ask him to prove it for a year. If our org can get him up in innings and health as successfully as we were with Kopech and Hansen last year, then we'll see him back.

I do hope though that it's because they hear positive things on Dunning being more than backend fodder, and something encouraging on Rutherford, Burger and Sheets.

They like Dunning as a #3 starter. They were positive on Cease's stuff but it's the innings that are the issue. I think he's likely a reliever but he'll be pretty dominating in that role. I think Hansen is a top 25-30 prospect in baseball at this time next year. They think Burger stays at 3B as do I. Seeing Sheets that high was interesting. They disregarded his season in A ball because of the amount of games he had played. He hit well and just didn't hit for power. He drew a ton of walks too. They compared him to Lucas Duda. That team at Winston Salem could have Burger, Sheets, Robert, Rutherford, and Adolfo in their lineup theoretically.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 09:57 AM)
That's really positive. We have a hell of a top 5, but I feel like the success of this rebuild will really take off by how well we activate our 5-12 prospects.

In order to really get this team to a point where it is into the sustained success category. This franchise needs guys outside of the top prospects to explode on to the scene. There aren't nearly enough top level guys to sustain this.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 11:59 AM)
In order to really get this team to a point where it is into the sustained success category. This franchise needs guys outside of the top prospects to explode on to the scene. There aren't nearly enough top level guys to sustain this.

I'd be satisfied with a brief but wildly successful peak.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 09:59 AM)

Thats why I'm all about drafting high upside high school guys now. Most of the impact talent for out first window of contention is already in the org, but we need more high impact possibility guys for when some of the first window guys leave or stop producing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 10:07 AM)
I'd be satisfied with a brief but wildly successful peak.

Me too, but even that may require using prospects to for urgent additions. Need to have some guys underneath that are attractive.

Really, as ever, we need some latam guys to explode.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 10:18 AM)
Me too, but even that may require using prospects to for urgent additions. Need to have some guys underneath that are attractive.

Really, as ever, we need some latam guys to explode.

BA's "weaknesses" of the Sox Farm system is pretty comical. And I don't even necessarilly agree with it.

Also - is it a little bit concerning that our 2017 2nd rounder is in the top 10? That's like the old days when whoever the Sox drafted automatically made the top 5 prospects. More of a sign that BA likes Sheets or that BA doesn't think our system is as strong as some of us think?

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 10:37 AM)
Also - is it a little bit concerning that our 2017 2nd rounder is in the top 10? That's like the old days when whoever the Sox drafted automatically made the top 5 prospects. More of a sign that BA likes Sheets or that BA doesn't think our system is as strong as some of us think?

Doesn't help that some of our best young players graduated off the list.

Having read it, that was pretty promising. Notes in there about Collins smoothing out his swing in instructionals and the belief in his bat. Worst note was probably about Rutherford in that he's definitely not a CF.

The Robert report was really nice to see. They didn't seem to think the high fastball issue was as big as has been advertised prior.

Meh, only Adolfo was off the list who some here had pegged as a top 10 prospect. Whether you think he's better than Sheets is up for debate. I wonder if Burdi didn't get injured if he'd be up there too (although he likely would've graduated like Giolito, Lopez, Moncada, Fulmer etc).

His bat probably gives him a higher floor, though I don't know that I would agree he is a top 10 guy because of his lack of a premium position and defensive ability.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 11:02 AM)
I am hoping that Robert is actually our fastest baserunner when he gets out there.

I found it interesting they used the term baserunner and not just speed. If Robert's times that we've heard are accurate he is probably the fastest, but maybe he isn't the best baserunner because of technique or instincts.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 01:35 PM)
I found it interesting they used the term baserunner and not just speed. If Robert's times that we've heard are accurate he is probably the fastest, but maybe he isn't the best baserunner because of technique or instincts.

How the heck does anyone think there's reliable scouting on his ballgame baserunning instincts at this point?