Time for some early season overreactions!

danman31

If he is actually 20, and we have no reason to believe otherwise, then he could turn himself into a very legitimate prospect this year. The results are very encouraging so far. Small sample size of course, but he's drawing a walk here and there, his K rate isn't terrible yet, and he's hit for a bit of power.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 12:57 AM)
Good writeup, Viciedo also suffered that broken thumb, so slow start excused.

Danks, Flowers - I'm moving on, also shows that spring training stats are absolutely worthless.

I agree on Danks, but I'm not as ready to give up on Flowers yet.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
If he is actually 20, and we have no reason to believe otherwise, then he could turn himself into a very legitimate prospect this year. The results are very encouraging so far. Small sample size of course, but he's drawing a walk here and there, his K rate isn't terrible yet, and he's hit for a bit of power.

seriously? no reason? no reason at all?

i mean, sure, he might be 20. it's possible. i'll entertain the scenario. i could even imagine that there's, say, a better-than-even chance that he is in fact 20.

but there are plenty of reasons to be suspicious of his age. you wouldn't even have to qualify the statement if there weren't.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
I agree on Danks, but I'm not as ready to give up on Flowers yet.

Catchers are much rarer, and much harder to give up on. Heck if Flowers is a decent defender now and can call a game, he could be a major leaguer for 10 years, even if he can't hit a lick.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
seriously? no reason? no reason at all?

i mean, sure, he might be 20. it's possible. i'll entertain the scenario. i could even imagine that there's, say, a better-than-even chance that he is in fact 20.

but there are plenty of reasons to be suspicious of his age. you wouldn't even have to qualify the statement if there weren't.

To be fair, it is much harder to lie about your age post 9-11. Notice how you rarely hear about it anymore?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
To be fair, it is much harder to lie about your age post 9-11. Notice how you rarely hear about it anymore?

sure, i know. doesn't mean it's impossible (it's certainly happened since then), and doesn't negate the fact that there's been a good amount of smoke about silverio's age. i mean, the guy played 2009 in the DR after playing 2008 over here, and it was because of an age discrepancy in his papers. that's from buddy bell's mouth. that right there is a good reason to wonder about his age, and it's not the only reason.

so i think i'm being fair. what's not fair is to say we have no reason to believe he's not 20. i mean, i don't mind someone taking the optimistic route and just trusting that he's 20, but neither can i blame someone for acknowledging the weird circumstances around silverio and thus not trusting the listed age.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
sure, i know. doesn't mean it's impossible (it's certainly happened since then), and doesn't negate the fact that there's been a good amount of smoke about silverio's age. i mean, the guy played 2009 in the DR after playing 2008 over here, and it was because of an age discrepancy in his papers. that's from buddy bell's mouth. that right there is a good reason to wonder about his age, and it's not the only reason.

so i think i'm being fair. what's not fair is to say we have no reason to believe he's not 20. i mean, i don't mind someone taking the optimistic route and just trusting that he's 20, but neither can i blame someone for acknowledging the weird circumstances around silverio and thus not trusting the listed age.

I'm not going to stop you. I'm skeptical too, and I was mainly referring to the point SS2k made about the difficulty in forging age now a days. Perhaps he is 22 or 23 and this is stuff he should be doing...if it is, we will find out once his body stops developing and he stops performing at each successive level. If he is 20, he is going to continue to develop for a while and could turn into a very legitimate offensive threat a few years down the road.

All anybody can really say at this point in time is that we'll see.