Appreciating the Feathered Serpent

Quin

I just wanted to take a moment and point out that in fWAR amongst pitchers, Quintana is tied for 8th with Sale, Tanaka, and Richards. Obviously, Sale was hurt and is the better pitcher.

But Q has been better than Scherzer, Price, Strasburg. He's been a top ten pitcher in all of baseball this year. His strikeout numbers and K/BB ratio keep improving.

I think he gets under appreciating because we have Sale, but damn Q is awesome. He may legitimately be KW's best acquisition of his career.

Q right now is an ace, but again, we have one of the aces in baseball and Sale overshadows him.

Should be really grateful about having him and Sale and the head of rotation, locked up for peanuts. Hopefully Rodon joins them soon.

It's like Mark Buehrle never left the team.

Not that I wouldn't take Mark's results for Jose, but they are different pitchers. Jose is averaging 7 K/9 for his career and is over 8 so far this season. Mark's best K/9 year was 6.1 and he's at 5.2 for his career.

So was this a case of Coop fixing him or the Yankees just being too dumb to realize what they had?

I just looked up his 2011 numbers. Played at Tampa (A+). 30 appearances, including 12 starts. 102 IP, 2.91 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 7.8 K/9, 3.1 K/BB. Now, I know absolutely nothing about the Florida State League, maybe it is a very pitcher friendly league, but if not, those are pretty decent numbers. They don't look like numbers of a guy that a team should be giving up on.

However, I'd appreciate the opinion of somebody with much better knowledge of the minors and prospects.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 11:35 PM)
It's been his unofficial board nickname since his rookie year.

Kyyle and I concocted it.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...p;#entry2607049

Feathered Serpent*, Flying works as well.

shack has been an integral part of the naming process as well. You guys ran with the penis blood

That sounds bad, but there is really no other way to put it

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)
I just looked up his 2011 numbers. Played at Tampa (A+). 30 appearances, including 12 starts. 102 IP, 2.91 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 7.8 K/9, 3.1 K/BB. Now, I know absolutely nothing about the Florida State League, maybe it is a very pitcher friendly league, but if not, those are pretty decent numbers. They don't look like numbers of a guy that a team should be giving up on.

However, I'd appreciate the opinion of somebody with much better knowledge of the minors and prospects.

It was just a scouting snafu by the Yankees. They thought he was just a strike thrower and too far behind other, better prospects when it came time to put him on the 40 or let him go.

Also the Mets let go of him after the MiLB PED incident. I'm not sure what happened there but obviously they were quick to pull the trigger as well. You have to wonder how much more difficult it is to take supplements but not ones banned by MLB when you are in another (poor) country where everyone is a salesman. Mets were even du,ber than the Yankees, at least the Yankees made the move because they were forced to protect him. Mets cut him for no reason.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
Also if w're talking about small finds here that turned into something much bigger, the same guy who found & recommended Mark to us also found a guy named Albert Pujols who of course we didn't draft. I'm sure there are lots of others but IIRC Pujols went 5th round or later, so that one kind of hurts.

I think he went outside the 10th round even.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
Also if w're talking about small finds here that turned into something much bigger, the same guy who found & recommended Mark to us also found a guy named Albert Pujols who of course we didn't draft. I'm sure there are lots of others but IIRC Pujols went 5th round or later, so that one kind of hurts.

Pujols was a 13th round pick

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
It was just a scouting snafu by the Yankees. They thought he was just a strike thrower and too far behind other, better prospects when it came time to put him on the 40 or let him go.

Also the Mets let go of him after the MiLB PED incident. I'm not sure what happened there but obviously they were quick to pull the trigger as well. You have to wonder how much more difficult it is to take supplements but not ones banned by MLB when you are in another (poor) country where everyone is a salesman. Mets were even du,ber than the Yankees, at least the Yankees made the move because they were forced to protect him. Mets cut him for no reason.

TUC pretty much covers it. Those numbers are good in the FSL but nothing outstanding. More important is the scouting end, not the numbers. Yankees had a 40 man roster crunch, the scouts picked a few guys other than Quintana. They got it wrong, happens all the time.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 11:02 PM)
Should be really grateful about having him and Sale and the head of rotation, locked up for peanuts. Hopefully Rodon joins them soon.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 12:08 AM)
And if Rodon works out... wow

And now imagine that with the money the Sox have to utilize this offseason, they go and sign Sherzer or Shields.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
And now imagine that with the money the Sox have to utilize this offseason, they go and sign Sherzer or Shields.

Nope, no thank you, no long term contracts to free agent starting pitchers, thank you

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 07:21 AM)
So was this a case of Coop fixing him or the Yankees just being too dumb to realize what they had?

Yankees didn't think he was worth of a 40 man roster spot, IIRC. They did not want to lose him, and tried to bring him back on a minor league deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
Yankees didn't think he was worth of a 40 man roster spot, IIRC. They did not want to lose him, and tried to bring him back on a minor league deal.

That does sound familiar now. They had Betances and Banuelos (sp?) and whoever else and just saw Q lower on the totem pole. Thanks Cashman!