White Sox in the market for a catcher

Y2Jimmy0

Depends on the money...would he sign just a bargain basement one-year deal, and how willing would he be to include an option for 2019?

If you're only getting him for one year, the payoff's/upside's considerably less.

And what is a bargain for a catcher? The same as Holland made for us? $7-8 million?

Edited by caulfield12

He’d definitely be a guy I’d target this offseason. Convince him that a year at the Cell could help those power numbers rebound. I believe historically he’s been a pretty good framer (not sure about 2017) so help the young staff for a few months before possibly becoming an interesting trade chip.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 01:16 AM)
I don't think the money matters if the Astros are interested in Lucroy.

https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/11/15/166...jonathan-lucroy

You think he finally reaches free agency as a 31 year old catcher and he’s going to take a part time role with a competitor rather do everything he can to maximize his long-term earnings? I don’t see that happening at all. If he can’t secure a nice long-term deal this off-season, he’ll probably take a one year deal that ensures him the most playing time in an offensive-friendly environment and look for a better payday next year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 07:08 AM)
You think he finally reaches free agency as a 31 year old catcher and he’s going to take a part time role with a competitor rather do everything he can to maximize his long-term earnings? I don’t see that happening at all. If he can’t secure a nice long-term deal this off-season, he’ll probably take a one year deal that ensures him the most playing time in an offensive-friendly environment and look for a better payday next year.

Why would he be a part-time player? If anything, it would push McCann into the empty DH spot they currently have. And could probably non-tender Gattis.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 07:12 AM)
Why would he be a part-time player? If anything, it would push McCann into the empty DH spot they currently have. And could probably non-tender Gattis.

You really think they’d non-tender Gattis though? He was pretty damn good in 2016 and is already under control. Plus the DH spot isn’t really empty when you consider they have Gonzalez, Springer, Reddick, & Fisher all needing everyday playing time. Best case scenario they dump Gattis and he splits the role with McCann. Worst case scenario it’s a three-way time-share with Gattis getting some playing at 1B/DH. I just don’t see how either situation is desirable for a guy who should be looking for a big payday within the next year so. He really should go somewhere where he’s certain to get the vast majority of the playing time at catcher to rebuild his value.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 07:24 AM)
You really think they’d non-tender Gattis though? He was pretty damn good in 2016 and is already under control. Plus the DH spot isn’t really empty when you consider they have Gonzalez, Springer, Reddick, & Fisher all needing everyday playing time. Best case scenario they dump Gattis and he splits the role with McCann. Worst case scenario it’s a three-way time-share with Gattis getting some playing at 1B/DH. I just don’t see how either situation is desirable for a guy who should be looking for a big payday within the next year so. He really should go somewhere where he’s certain to get the vast majority of the playing time at catcher to rebuild his value.

I mean yeah it's probably not a perfect without some pieces moving but they could make it work. Especially since Gattis is pretty much a platoon player at this point. I think if Lucroy wants to rebuild value, he will take a 1-year deal in Colorado.

I also forgot they have 4 guys in the OF that should play every day. Man they have so much depth.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
I mean yeah it's probably not a perfect without some pieces moving but they could make it work. Especially since Gattis is pretty much a platoon player at this point. I think if Lucroy wants to rebuild value, he will take a 1-year deal in Colorado.

I also forgot they have 4 guys in the OF that should play every day. Man they have so much depth.

My point is I just don’t see it being optimal for Lucroy. Didn’t he pass up on a chance to play for the Indians in 2016 because they wouldn’t void his option and allow him to become a free agent a year early? He really doesn’t seem like the type of guy to potentially sacrifice his future earning potential for a better chance at winning a championship in the short-run.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
I’d be down with Lucroy. Always been a fan of his since Milwaukee. I’d be ok with a Matt Winters-esque deal for him. 2y/21m, second year being a 10.5M team option.

Lucroy has been a substantially better catcher than Wieters was before they hit FA. Both of them were 1 WAR players the year before FA, but Lucroy was a 4 win player just 2 seasons ago while Weiters has been a 1 WAR a year player for 4 years. He's got to get a better deal than Weiters. Either shorter "prove you're still a 4 win player" money or longer or more a year or something.

Honestly, I don't care much about offense from our catchers right now. I want a pitcher's catcher in there with our young staff. Someone who can impart wisdom, be solid defensively, and frame a bit to minimize wear and tear on young arms. On a team that isn't going to compete, having a catcher that can aid the growth of our staff might be the one thing I really want to see the White Sox do this winter.

Lucroy though went from one of the best framing catchers in the league to one of the worst. But, if he has a rep for handling pitching staff well then I'm okay with that too. Still really like my stupid idea for caleb joseph, but he's also like the perfect backup catcher as you bring up Sisco.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
Lucroy though went from one of the best framing catchers in the league to one of the worst. But, if he has a rep for handling pitching staff well then I'm okay with that too. Still really like my stupid idea for caleb joseph, but he's also like the perfect backup catcher as you bring up Sisco.

Would people go 3/$36 for Lucroy? I'm kinda guessing here but the Denver Post a couple weeks ago referred to him as getting "more money than Jason Castro signed". That seems like they'd be in the 3 year deal range and going from 8 to 12 million fits that he's performed better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
Next question on the list - could we get anything of value for either of our catchers if we traded them to someone to be a backup?

Depends how you define value. Both have options I believe and no reason to get rid of prior to needing a spot in AAA for Collins or Zevala.