FS: Seven Spring Training Storylines

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (staxx @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
I really hope Rodon dominates, but health of the team is my #1 this spring. We NEED to stay healthy.

Also, the backup C. I can still see someone like Soto end up taking away substantial playing time from Flowers.

On Rodon, I am perfectly fine with him in Charlotte as long as Noesi and Danks look good.

On the backup C, I think Soto has the possibility of being that. And long term, Nieto and/or Smith might push Flowers, but that is later in the year or next year if ever. Brantly and Kottaras aren't pushing anyone out of a starting role though.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
I completely agree, but it will be interesting to watch him this ST and see if he bounces back at all.

I probably should have included a note about Johnson in the article. He's definitely one to watch, though I think the chances of him grabbing a rotation slot straight away are pretty slim.

QUOTE (staxx @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
I really hope Rodon dominates, but health of the team is my #1 this spring. We NEED to stay healthy.

Also, the backup C. I can still see someone like Soto end up taking away substantial playing time from Flowers.

With the way Tyler Flowers responded last year I would not rule him out as a real contributor

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 10:16 AM)
I don't see why not. But he is starting from behind.

Definitely. If his fastball magically appears just as it disappeared last year then he certainly has a shot. I'm not banking on that though.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
If Johnson has a good spring, anyone think he can overtake Noesi for the #5 spot?

Odds are slim. To my eyes it would take the following

1. A big spring from Johnson, where he has his form, velocity, and results back to 2013 type.

2. A bad spring from Noesi, and/or an injury to another pitcher

3. Rodon, or another highly ranked prospect, not having a huge spring in front of Johnson, as all things being equal, Rodon would win out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
Odds are slim. To my eyes it would take the following

1. A big spring from Johnson, where he has his form, velocity, and results back to 2013 type.

2. A bad spring from Noesi, and/or an injury to another pitcher

3. Rodon, or another highly ranked prospect, not having a huge spring in front of Johnson, as all things being equal, Rodon would win out.

I agree on one and two, not sure about three. If Johnson does look really good, I think that only increases the chances the Sox keep Rodon in Charlotte a few months or put him in the bullpen.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
Has anyone heard anything on EJ this offseason? I know he's the forgotten man but it seems kind of odd that there's been no reports on him at all.

After I wrote that piece in October, I had a conversation (electronic) with Scott Merkin (MLB beat writer) about it. He said that the team was 100% convinced it was primarily a mental thing with Erik, FWIW.

Haven't heard anything since though.

We (FutureSox) are hoping to get someone out to ST in person this year to take some video etc., hopefully we can get a look at Johnson.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Can anyone explain the Super 2 status and how it will be in play for delaying Rodon's call up.

Someone wrote up a thread on this site last year that went into all the details on this, including gory math. But the key is, there are two aspects. One, the Super 2 issue, is about having an extra year of arbitration (one less of pre-arb) which would get the player a higher salary. Two, which to me is more important, is about how many years of control the team has before the player reaches free agency. When Rodon gets called up will dictate both. Waiting until June-ish can help the Sox on both fronts, potentially.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
After I wrote that piece in October, I had a conversation (electronic) with Scott Merkin (MLB beat writer) about it. He said that the team was 100% convinced it was primarily a mental thing with Erik, FWIW.

I hope they're right because that would be a significant boost.

To the question posed earlier, I have to think Noesi is all but locked in out of ST. Doesn't mean things won't change two weeks in, but I trust the Sox not to put too much meaning in spring numbers.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
Someone wrote up a thread on this site last year that went into all the details on this, including gory math. But the key is, there are two aspects. One, the Super 2 issue, is about having an extra year of arbitration (one less of pre-arb) which would get the player a higher salary. Two, which to me is more important, is about how many years of control the team has before the player reaches free agency. When Rodon gets called up will dictate both. Waiting until June-ish can help the Sox on both fronts, potentially.

Thanks. And yeah that extra year of control on Rodon will be huge.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
Thanks. And yeah that extra year of control on Rodon will be huge.

Living in New England, there is always a huge media group covering the Red Sox. One of the common discussions each spring is the 25 man roster. Through the years, I have read numerous analysis of how the final roster is selected. The concensus seems to be that fans think the best 25 go north. But in reality, it seems that many times the 5 final spots go to players really slotted 20-30. So Rodon may be ready but financially he is held back for another few months. Guarantees in contracts also affect a player going north. Obviously a team does not often hold back a player who will have an impact on the W/L record. But those last couple of bullpen spots as well as the b/u catcher, infielder and OF may actually go to the guy who is not the obvious choice to fans based on factors other than spring training performance.

I have a hard time seeing Johnson starting at 2nd. The White Sox were one of the worst teams in fielding in the AL. My gut is Beckham has 2B to lose especially if the roster additions improve the offense. This team needs to play better defense in 15 and Johnson might not be ready defensively.

Edited by SCCWS

I think most people think the Rodon thread is most interesting, but to me, it's catcher.

I would love for the Sox to at least be considering the idea that two catchers could play Flowers off of the 25 man roster. None of these, obviously, are sure things, but Soto/Kottaras could be noticeably better than Flowers/anyone else if the aforementioned are actually healthy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)

Haven't heard anything since though.

We (FutureSox) are hoping to get someone out to ST in person this year to take some video etc., hopefully we can get a look at Johnson.

If he can even become relevant again, like back of the end rotation potential. I would have no problem rolling out Sale, Samardzija (resigned), Quintana, Rodon, and Johnson every game. Those 5 would have a minimum of 5 years of control.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
I think most people think the Rodon thread is most interesting, but to me, it's catcher.

I would love for the Sox to at least be considering the idea that two catchers could play Flowers off of the 25 man roster. None of these, obviously, are sure things, but Soto/Kottaras could be noticeably better than Flowers/anyone else if the aforementioned are actually healthy.

I want them to take the two best catchers north, regardless of who they are. I think one of those is going to be Tyler Flowers due to the pitching staff's comfort in throwing to him. I don't know the pitch framing data, but I seem to recall that Flowers was middle of the pack. He's also mentioned previously that he's aware of it, so I think it's something he's going to try and improve as well. There were also good and bad signs with his pitch selection at the plate last year - he swung at fewer out of the zone, but also made more contact on balls out of the zone as well. Beyond that, he was also roughly the same previously at swinging at balls in the zone but was swinging through them quite a bit more often as well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
I agree on one and two, not sure about three. If Johnson does look really good, I think that only increases the chances the Sox keep Rodon in Charlotte a few months or put him in the bullpen.

If Rodon has a big spring, I don't see how they don't take him north.