Ventura "I expect us to make the playoffs"

southsider2k5

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 38m38 minutes ago

Robin Ventura: "I expect us to make the playoffs. I expect us to make a good run at it and make the playoffs."

It's better to use coachspeak than say something like that, but hey, I never complained about Ozzie's brashness, so I'll take it from Robin, too, I guess.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
It's better to use coachspeak than say something like that, but hey, I never complained about Ozzie's brashness, so I'll take it from Robin, too, I guess.

His bosses went out and picked up every item on their offseason shopping list, he better say he expects to make the playoffs.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 09:33 PM)
His bosses went out and picked up every item on their offseason shopping list, he better say he expects to make the playoffs.

Vegas says we're a .500 team and u better believe Vegas is right most all the time.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 09:34 PM)
Vegas says we're a .500 team and u better believe Vegas is right most all the time.

i really don't care what vegas says, and i will stand by my comments till the end of the season. the sox is a playoff team and has a good enuf chance to make a run for it. however in the playoff, without another sp addition, well i let you fill in the rest.

remember, i stand by predictions and am going to enjoy drinking my sox kool-aid.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
Last year, Vegas's preseason predictions missed the average team's win total by >6. The largest underestimate was 19 wins.

I love the Sox, but there's no way Robin should be expecting playoffs with this club. Sox have to come out and play ball and reverse the mojo from the last few horrific seasons.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
I love the Sox, but there's no way Robin should be expecting playoffs with this club. Sox have to come out and play ball and reverse the mojo from the last few horrific seasons.

This team should absolutely be expecting the playoffs, to the point where if they're not at least close I'll verly likely be calling for the manager's head on a platter.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 09:51 PM)

and by most opinions, i would agree with you. however, the sox have steadily assembled a great group of players, now it is time to wait and see them in actions.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)

Please explain to me why Vegas would be right in this situation.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)

Why shouldn't he expect the playoffs? He has a team that has a lot of talent. Would you prefer he say "I do not expect to be in the playoffs and in fact, I look forward to not being in the playoffs once October comes around"?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 09:58 PM)
If Ozzie says this, greg is getting a bronze statue commissioned and commending him for being so awesomely brash.

Ventura says it, and greg cites Vegas and mopes about how bad he expects them to be.

I already mentioned Ozzie in my initial reaction post, saying that's why I'm not incensed Robin said it.

I'm just saying you're better off using coachspeak.

Q: Robin do you expect the playoffs this year? Is this a playoff team?

A: "I absolutely love the acquisitions the front office made, just love them. I'm anxious to get on the field and getting to work with these guys. I know we're going to have a group that wants to win as many games as possible. Obviously we'd love that to result in a postseason appearance. The goal every year is to win the World Series."

With my answer, the media has no story.

That said, I loved the brash Ozzie, so I'll take the brash Robin as I said before.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
I already mentioned Ozzie in my initial reaction post, saying that's why I'm not incensed Robin said it.

A: "I absolutely love the acquisitions the front office made, just love them. I'm anxious to get on the field and getting to work with these guys. I know we're going to have a group that wants to win as many games as possible. Obviously we'd love that to result in a postseason appearance. The goal every year is to win the World Series."

That said, I loved the brash Ozzie, so I'll take the brash Robin as I said before.

After the debacles and the team seemingly not caring for parts/all of the last 2 years, the tone needed changed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 10:05 PM)
After the debacles and the team seemingly not caring for parts/all of the last 2 years, the tone needed changed.

I can buy that. I'll take it. We'll see how it plays out. The Vegas thing concerned me when I read their low expectations for the Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)

With my answer, the media has no story.

If my manager continually gave canned bulls*** answers like that, I'd lose a hell of a lot of respect very quickly.

After the offseason we've had, I surely would hope our manager expects us to make the playoffs, or at least say so... think of how he would sound saying "I expect us to be a .500 team" or "I expect us to compete but we'll probably miss the playoffs."

Wouldn't sound very nice

QUOTE (RaySox @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 10:17 PM)
After the offseason we've had, I surely would hope our manager expects us to make the playoffs, or at least say so... think of how he would sound saying "I expect us to be a .500 team" or "I expect us to compete but we'll probably miss the playoffs."

Wouldn't sound very nice

This truly will be my last post on the matter.

But don't some of you read responses? I gave you an example of the answer he might have given where there would be no story and it would be a vanilla answer that said nothing.

I'm logging off now so I don't post anymore on this thread.

I'm OK with Robin being brash. I just think in most cases u are better off giving the media nothing in the post Ozzie way of dealing with media. If Robin wants to go fiery and brash this year, bring it on baby!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
This truly will be my last post on the matter.

But don't some of you read responses? I gave you an example of the answer he might have given where there would be no story and it would be a vanilla answer that said nothing.

Unfortunately some people can't think of perfect responses for every question given to them. That would be great though

If my job depended on this team making the playoffs, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable right now. With that said, I don't know if his job does depend on that, and I'd sure hope that he expects the team to make a run at the playoffs. No need to set a low bar any longer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)
I can buy that. I'll take it. We'll see how it plays out. The Vegas thing concerned me when I read their low expectations for the Sox.

Maybe we should start placing bets with our bookies given the Vegas slap in the face. We will make the playoffs and you can take their money to he bank

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
i really don't care what vegas says, and i will stand by my comments till the end of the season. the sox is a playoff team and has a good enuf chance to make a run for it. however in the playoff, without another sp addition, well i let you fill in the rest.

remember, i stand by predictions and am going to enjoy drinking my sox kool-aid.

If Rodon's halfway as good as most are projecting, then we have four for the playoffs. That's all you need. Look at what the Giants survived with after Bumgarner...Peavy, Hudson and Vogelsong.

You can't seriously think that Quintana, Shark and Rodon aren't better than those three?

With the Royals, you had Shields, Ventura (who really was their ace in the playoffs), Vargas and Guthrie. Same comment as above.

Now they have Ventura, Volquez, Vargas, Guthrie and Duffy/Medlen/Finnegan/Hochevar.

That rotation has more overall depth but the only "sure thing" is Ventura, and his arm was tender at times last year (same with Duffy) and they'll both have to deal with innings ceilings in all likelihood to protect their arms.

Edited by caulfield12