Gillaspie has "bulked up", quit chewing

southsider2k5

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 17m17 minutes ago

Gillaspie bulked up, quit chewing tobacco and wants to make sure he's still got his strength at the end of the season.

Conor Gillaspie admits that he battled fatigue last year. "I got towards the end of the season and I just couldn’t do it."

Hopefully this helps him defensively. The last 2 years he seemed at least average defensively at the beginning of the year, and left you questioning why he is even standing on the field towards the end.

His OPS was actually better than Panda's last year. Maybe the additional weight will help him hit a few more over the fence.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
So he quit chewing tobacco, which means he's probably moody. Hard to imagine Conor even more grumpy than he already is.

I would hope he is past the mood swings if he quit late last season

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
Hopefully this helps him defensively. The last 2 years he seemed at least average defensively at the beginning of the year, and left you questioning why he is even standing on the field towards the end.

His OPS was actually better than Panda's last year. Maybe the additional weight will help him hit a few more over the fence.

I would be concerned the extra weight would make him a worse defender as he might be less mobile. Hopefully that isn't the case.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
lol a 1-2 WAR player that was acquired for diddly squat and is pre-arb. Great guy to say "sucks". He's a decent starter and a great guy to have on the roster at his salary.

He's been playing that game with him since 2013, just let him be.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
I'm hoping for at least a 2.5 this year from Conor.

I'm hoping, but his limits against LHP kinda rule that out. Unless he improves to "average" defensively that is. I like Conor his candid attitude is a breath of fresh air and he has talent -- he wouldn't have been a 1st round pick without it. Hope he puts together a nice 280/330/410 year with solid defense.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 04:46 PM)
lol a 1-2 WAR player that was acquired for diddly squat and is pre-arb. Great guy to say "sucks". He's a decent starter and a great guy to have on the roster at his salary.

Meanwhile, Jeff Soptic repeated A+ last year and saw his BB/9 increase from 7.78 to 8.90.